Rock Bucket

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
Has anyone used a bucket designed for picking up rocks? The one thing I have a lot of it rocks and I saw a company that makes all kind of attachments for loaders and small compact tractors. So other than rocks bigger than my B6000 what would you all think??:)

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
Has anyone used a bucket designed for picking up rocks? The one thing I have a lot of it rocks and I saw a company that makes all kind of attachments for loaders and small compact tractors. So other than rocks bigger than my B6000 what would you all think??:)
I picked one up awhile back. Worked good for picking up rocks, and depending on your soil type, would let the soil fall back through. A couple of things that I didn't plan on were, they are really designed for skid loaders where you have an unobstructed view of what you are doing. It is hard to judge where the front of your bucket is sitting on a tractor. With practice I was able to judge where to stop most of the time. Another issue was that once you have a bucket of rocks, you have to have a place to put them, so you almost need a trailer or wagon or something else with you, unless you are able to drive to the edge of the field and dump them each time. Since I ended up not using it much for what it was designed for, just this summer, I took it to a local fabricator and had them ad a grapple to it. Now, it gets used all the time for picking up and moving brush around the farm. It also is a tremendous tool for ripping up old fence lines.

I don't want to discourage you from getting one. I just wanted to give you a couple of things to think about so you can make an informed decision. Good luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi chief, do you want to use this for taking rocks out of a field that you want to plant or is this more for landscaping your yard. A simple landscape rake will work for smaller surface rocks . You can angle it like a rear blade and windrow the rocks. Or there are rock pickers that tow behind the tractor but I have never seen one small enough for our size of tractor. Around here you can pick a field clean one spring and have a whole new crop of rocks the next spring. The frost pushes them up. The Mennonites around here have rock picking parties, usually at night after a 10 or 12 hr day. Great Fun???? Using a rock bucket for large areas like a 50 acre field is really time consuming even on a much larger tractor. I know a couple of young farmers that use them but only because they don't have many rocks. The old farmers have 14 kids and no rock rake is going to keep up with 14 kids.:D:D Dusty

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
L4740, Dusty and Ob1 thanks for the help, I was thinking to use it for clearing the field so I can plant and to clear up some areas but I would to get more land to put the rocks in. Maybe the landscaping rake may be the way to go.

I do like that grapple and with all the woods I have it would be great, but first I think I need to get a larger tractor.....went to pick up a rock which I though was a small rock and on my side I went..... :eek: I hate that, so dumb and my wife saw me which makes it worse.:mad: So maybe a rake.

Thanks for all the help and great looking bucket and grapple also !