Roading A Tractor

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I drive my M7040 on the road as it is the only option I have short of hiring someone to move it.

Trips can be 1 1/2 hrs at full speed. So about 20 miles.

I just pick the day and time of day so traffic is light and try and drive with two wheels on the shoulder so people can pass easier.

Sunday morning is best here as few church goers.

Dave M7040

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Half mile isn't worth fooling with a trailer. Just make sure your flashers work and your SMV sign is in place and clean. Keep in mind even though farm equipment has the right of way most drivers don't think that way.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Got a neighbor that has a couple jobs for me with my new tractor. He's one half mile away on paved road.

?
Where I live, one half mile away is next door.
If you can walk it you can drive your tractor to it.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
For me a couple of miles but we live in the country but the main road does have traffic. Lot of farmers here so many are used to seeing farm equipment on the roads.

Drove my Exmark round trip 4 miles to cut grass for my uncle one time because I didn't have a trailer to haul it on. Took it easy down the shoulder of the road.

Be safe.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I like going down the road in this. Don't have to worry about people trying to push you around or bully you. Don't even worry about oncoming traffic. When they see this bad boy coming they find their own place to go and give me the road.

Attachments

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Drove my Exmark round trip 4 miles to cut grass for my uncle one time because I didn't have a trailer to haul it on. Took it easy down the shoulder of the road.

Be safe.
Many years ago.....(many is the keyword). I drove my little Ace Hardware lawn tractor, 8 hp about 6 miles round trip to my mothers house to cut her grass.
The ride took about as long as the grass cutting. But back then it was a cooler of beer strapped to the deck for the ride. She had about 2 lots to cut....maybe 80 X 120' and just filled the tank before I went there. Sometimes I took it to the gas station as well....about 2 block from my house. Ahh...the good old days when everything seemed a bit more fun.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
Keep in mind even though farm equipment has the right of way most drivers don't think that way.[/QUOTE said:
Farm equipment has the right of way? OK. Pedestrians have the right of way? Yep. Bicycles? Them too. Cars, for which the highways were designed and whose drivers pay the road taxes, seemingly always take the back seat. Sigh....

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Good one for you regarding right of way on the roads.

I am a fireman and in one of our classes the instructor was teaching on driver safety.

The red lights on our fire trucks are asking for drivers to give us right away and by law they are required to here in NC.

But one vehicle on the road does not have to yield right of way, any guesses who?

Police nope that are to move over....

Postal delivery vehicles do not have to yield right of way, nothing stops the mail.

Dates back many years the instructor told us, I found it interesting thought you guys and gals might as well little trivia.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My brother is a pilot. He told me several years ago, if you're ever driving down the highway and you see a plane trying to land, he has the right of way!

I always figured I'd give it to him whether he had it or not!

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I like going down the road in this. Don't have to worry about people trying to push you around or bully you. Don't even worry about oncoming traffic. When they see this bad boy coming they find their own place to go and give me the road.
You need pilot cars with that. If you smack someone on a blind corner you better hope they aren't hurt.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I've done 30 miles more than once on my Massey 135's. Eight miles to the airport is a regular thing for me.

Now with the Kubota's it's a different story. 10mph top speed and a ride like a buckboard makes me want to trailer it for anything over a mile. R1's on the "new to me" B7510 make ya need to pee after about 500 yards! :)

BTW, I found the ride feels MUCH better when strapped in with the seat belt.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
First, a tune. Bottom of page,SUV. http://www.paulmcintosh.net/music.html

Bougt my really old tractor 30 miles away. Droved it home. Every time i hit a rough spot on the road it would bark and quit. Pull fuel line and blow junk into tank. Only 20 or 15 times. Was a fun trip, in the big wheel it really goes.

I road my buddy's tractor a couple miles whenever i need it.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Good one for you regarding right of way on the roads.

I am a fireman and in one of our classes the instructor was teaching on driver safety.

The red lights on our fire trucks are asking for drivers to give us right away and by law they are required to here in NC.

But one vehicle on the road does not have to yield right of way, any guesses who?

Police nope that are to move over....

Postal delivery vehicles do not have to yield right of way, nothing stops the mail.

Dates back many years the instructor told us, I found it interesting thought you guys and gals might as well little trivia.
When I started high school, there was a saying about who has the right of way if a fire truck, ambulance, police car, and mail truck all get to a 4 way stop at the exact same time. The answer was the mail truck, because it's a federal government vehicle.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Where I live you need an AMV sing on the back and cannot exceed 27mph. My tractor only goes 11.5mph so speeding is not an issue. I also stay on the shoulder when there is one.

In fact I have to take mine about three miles to my nephews place one of these days as he is giving me a 5' Massey finish mower - painted Kubota orange of course. :D

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
2WD, brake off, flashers on.

It was fine. Took about 6 minutes.

Moved some gravel.

Thanks.
I find keeping the bucket elevated a bit earns you more respect from passing cars who cut in front of you after passing. High enough so it is in their line of site looking out their side window.

Dave M7040

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
Generally, the decision to "road" or haul a tractor should be based on the type of tires one has and how much wear one is willing to accept - tractor tires are expensive! If one has R1 tires, keep in mind that they wear heavily when driven on pavements.