Road grading

Mr jaws

Jan 12, 2014
Foxboro,wi
Does anybody out there have any ideas for me? What I want to do is level my driveway. The problem is that I have been putting down pit run gravel. It has all size rocks which makes it hard to smooth out. When I drag it the big rocks,some as big as footballs,come to the surface. It makes it imposable to get a smooth surface. Looking for ideas on building a drag that will catch the big rocks and let the smaller ones fall through. Plus a easy way to dispose of the bigger ones. Thanks for your ideas!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Does anybody out there have any ideas for me? What I want to do is level my driveway. The problem is that I have been putting down pit run gravel. It has all size rocks which makes it hard to smooth out. When I drag it the big rocks,some as big as footballs,come to the surface. It makes it imposable to get a smooth surface. Looking for ideas on building a drag that will catch the big rocks and let the smaller ones fall through. Plus a easy way to dispose of the bigger ones. Thanks for your ideas!
How long it the drive? If'n not too long, possible to hand pick some out ? or is that way to much? How are you dragging? Back blading?

Mr jaws

Jan 12, 2014
Foxboro,wi
The driveway is 1500 feet long. I am using a home made drag rectangular in shape. It has cross bars every two feet and is 7foot long

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man find an old set of bed springs, you know the ones that are all steel, attach a couple pieces of chain and drag that up and down it will get a nice finish and kick the big rocks up and fill in the hole they leave behind,, I have don't that for years and our old drive way was RED DOG!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have the same situation, I use a spring tooth harrow to break it up then a Spike harrow and bed springs to level it out, But yes it means getting on and off and tossing the big rocks to the side.

If you rent a sheep's foot compaction roller, it will break or drive the big rocks down then it's a charm to level it out.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
This is going to be a difficult one to tackle if you're kicking up rocks the size of footballs that could easily weigh in at 8-12 pounds each. A York rake wont touch it and a good chance you'll bend the tines backwards trying.

Renting a power rake with an adjustable roll back barrier may be your only option. You can angle them to windrow off to the ride and with the roll back barrier the smaller rocks will pass through and the large rocks will get knoked off to the side.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Is this pit run for your road base? If so, you'd be better served to buy more gravel and cover it. Nobody wants to spend the money, but the only way you're going to be able to smooth the road and not catch rocks and pull them is to cover them. My driveway is the same way, I don't have enough crushed on top to cut very deep before I catch the big base cobbles.