Ridiculous Temperatures and Wind Chills

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Hey Canada, thanks for the cooler weather. It was a great help when I defrosted the one freezer last evening. It was a simple matter of taking the frozen stuff outside so it wouldn't thaw while working on the overly frosted freezer.

Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
-12F today in my part of Maine. I waited for today to email out a Fireplace Estimate to a customer who may not like the price. Masonry Chimney structure and finishes with high efficiency modern manufactured woodburning fireplace unit stuffed inside. No power needed and high btu output.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Windchill - ha ha ha BS cough

If you run around flapping your arms then the wind chill is -65oC

If you add the humidex like they do in the summer then your -47oC "feels like" only -20oC

We had -27oC this morning on the thermometer. That's the number that counts. Unless you are a geriatric then it "feels" 30 degrees colder than it is.
To each his own, but I'll take -20 and dead calm over +10 and blowing a gale like it is now.

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
-24F this morning when I got up. That's about my limit, I worked on -10F freezers back in the day and this is way colder.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
We had -34C last night, I got up to stoke the stove at midnight and 4 AM.
Nice to have it warm for breakfast.

Went out to fly RC today because the boys had chili on. A bit windy but not too bad, I prefer no wind.

Rain tomorrow is just weird.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Lost power last night for approx 14 or so hours. I am so thankful that I have a standby generator. It ran everything (entire house, two outdoor mini split units and most importantly, the pellet stove) including the hot tub.

One of the best purchases I ever made.

Reactions: 2 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Lost power last night for approx 14 or so hours. I am so thankful that I have a standby generator. It ran everything (entire house, two outdoor mini split units and most importantly, the pellet stove) including the hot tub.

The Hot Tub?

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
I just heard on the radio that the summit on Mt. Washington in New Hampshire hit -108😳

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA

Just dropped power. 12 F and generator is humming. Power company says 2 hours. I figure maybe back on by morning. Generator is good for at least 12 hours on six gallons of gas,

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I just heard on the radio that the summit on Mt. Washington in New Hampshire hit -108😳
Thats with wind chill so not too bad if you have a windbreaker on

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I thought I read somewhere today it was -120 on mt washington... then again, a couple degrees when it that low is splitting hairs.

Edit. You are correct...-108

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Anyone else in the north/northeast experience the frost quakes being reported
mostly Friday night ? We had what sounded like something smashed into the house roof area Friday night. A sudden loud bang . It got our attention.

"A cryoseism, ice quake or frost quake, is a seismic event caused by a sudden cracking action in frozen soil or rock saturated with water or ice, or by stresses generated at frozen lakes. As water drains into the ground, it may eventually freeze and expand under colder temperatures, putting stress on its surroundings."
More on it here:

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
mostly Friday night ? We had what sounded like something smashed into the house roof area Friday night. A sudden loud bang . It got our attention.

"A cryoseism, ice quake or frost quake, is a seismic event caused by a sudden cracking action in frozen soil or rock saturated with water or ice, or by stresses generated at frozen lakes. As water drains into the ground, it may eventually freeze and expand under colder temperatures, putting stress on its surroundings."
More on it here:
Never heard of that before.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

More on it here:
I've heard frost quakes, and they are not normally that strong.
I'm not saying that it wasn't a frost quake, but I've also heard roof rafters break and they are pretty harsh.
I would suggest you check you roof and rafters really thoroughly.
Look for small cracks in the ceiling or wall edges.
I've also seen and heard of foundations heaving and causing issues.
You'll see it in the walls, and sometimes the floors.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Our front deck does that.
Water freezes at the joist / decking interface and then when it gets cold enough the shrinking decking pulls hard enough to break the frozen joint.
It makes a pretty big bang at least once a winter.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The same thing happened here, and we thought that someone had broken into the home the first time it happened.

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
We all better get used to this. The polar front is now more unstable during winter, so wide temperature swings are occurring. Whether it has anything to do with climate change, I don't know.

However, I do know one thing. The so called wind chill factor is somewhat inaccurate. A more detailed equation that predicts more closely how wind and temperature affect humans was developed but the NWS doesn't want to change the metric. There are numerous discussions about wind chill online. Here's just one: