Rhino 60" Finish Mower

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
Hey Guys,

My Dad and me purchased B6100 last winter and finally got it running good recently. Along with it came the subject finish mower and front weights. I see in the manual where it says "Roatary Mower, rear/mid, 48". I have a few questions:

(edit) 4WD, manual transmission, tractor tires

1) Is this too much mower?
2) The guy that we bought it from said he had the PTO in what I believe to be 2nd gear when he ran the mower. It's the notch down from nuetral?
3) Lastly, assuming it is not too much mower and the PTO gear selection is proper, would you run the engine WOT or 2/3 or what?

We've cut with it and it seems to do a great job, just don't want to put too much on her.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Wes

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Check the book on the Rhino - I believe it is made for PTO 1st - 540 RPM. The tractor should not have any problem with it. As long as you are not bogging down, you aren't hurting the tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Being that it's cutting good I would probably stay with the previous owners recommendations. ;)
And no that shouldn't be too much of a mower for that tractor. :D

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
Check the book on the Rhino - I believe it is made for PTO 1st - 540 RPM. The tractor should not have any problem with it. As long as you are not bogging down, you aren't hurting the tractor.
The only other thing worth mentioning; right now the mower is pretty low because the wheels are so worn. We have all the shims on the bottom. We have new wheels to put on hopefully this weekend. That being said, when we get to higher and thicker grass the engine does noticeably work harder but doesn't "bog" (begin to cut off). I think when we put the new wheels on that will stop, hopefully.

So when you say "bog" you don't mean work harder do you, you mean get ready to cut off?

Finally, I don't much trust the previous owners judgment; not to bash the guy or anything but it became pretty obvious as we began maintenance he didn't take exceptional care.

Yes, 540 RPM's is the Rhino recommended operating speed. Am I missing the PTO gear/rpm's in the manual? Not sure what 2nd RPM's are?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
Hey guys, wondering if someone could help me with the few questions and comments above and one other thing:

Using the B6100 and the Rhino finish mower yesterday in some higher grass, I could tell it was alot on the tractor but it pushed through. However, at a certain point I think either the clutch on the PTO (if there is one?) or the clutch on the mower disengaged and the mower cut off but the tractor stayed running. I looked down and the PTO lever had moved back to nuetral.

My question is: is there indeed a clutch on either or both? If so, would it cause the PTO to slip back to nuetral? If not, can you tell me whats going on.

I want to use the tractor and mower to it's full extent but at the same time take of it. Both tractors are new to me and my Dad.

Thanks in advance!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
According to Tractordata.com, Rear RPM: 514/876/1498
So, you should use PTO 1st at wide open, or PTO 2nd at about 2/3 throttle. The PTO shifter should not pop out to neutral - you may have some worn gears in there. I'd try PTO 1st at full throttle, and see how it cuts, and if it is working as hard. You only have 12 horses at the PTO - you cannot expect miracles.
My L185 had 13.5 horses, and I used a 60" brush hog with it. I mowed light grass/brush in 4th gear (tractor speed), normal lawn stuff up to about a foot tall in 3rd, and had to go to 2nd and 1st for the really heavy, thigh-high stuff. Again, those are tractor speeds. I was usually running in PTO 2nd, at about 80% throttle - where the 540 PTO mark was. My PTO 2nd was not as fast as yours; about 750. In REALLY heavy stuff I went to PTO 1st, and did not notice a whole lot of difference in the cut quality, although it was a bunch easier on the tractor.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Have you sharpened the mower blades? That can make a big difference in what you're trying to do.

If you have the tractor in 540 PTO, blades sharp, and you have clutch slipping simply gear down, go slower or raise the deck and cut it twice.

I had a B6100 with a belly mower and I cut grass for my neighbor that was 2ft. tall. He didn't dare take his JD rider in there. I raised the deck and cut it twice with no problem. "Yoda" as she was know as, gave out a mild black belch and went to work!!

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
OK guys, thanks for the feedback.

Update: Yesterday, with the deck as high as the shims (roughly 6" blade height) would allow in 1' tall thick fescue with mixed wheat and rye about 2' tall and the tractor in first gear, PTO in second gear, WOT it still knocked out on me a few times in 30 minutes.

It seems the PTO 2nd gear would cut better than PTO 1st gear? I haven't tried first gear yet because 2nd is what the previous said he ran it in. I will try 1st gear PTO this evening. Hope we dont have internal gear troubles.

Oh, blades are almost new and dont have a ding in them. I will sharpen them if i can't get the PTO to stop popping out.

Thanks, I'll report back.

Last edited:

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
Yep, sharpened the blades, changed to first gear PTO, WOT and it cut down all the thick, tall grass with tractor in 1st gear without hesitation. The rest we cut in PTO 1st gear and the tractor in 3rd and 4th gear with no issues whatsoever!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, we really appreciate them!