Reverse Alarm for LX2610 / B2650

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Check your manual's electrical diagrams, many tractors have a back up alarm circuit already there and you just have to connect an alarm. No switches required.
I will recheck, but since this series tractor has no reverse lights, there being any electrical for an alarm is unlikely.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Hi guys. I know this is a bit late but here’s a little tip or you that I’ve used for many years when wanting reverse lights or a back up beeper the easiest way to do it is with this kind of switch. Look for a linkage that moves when you put the machine in reverse then make up a mounting bracket and mount it so that the long spring will move and activate the micro switch inside the unit. It can be as sensitive as you want it. For reverse beepers I also install a cut off switch in the dash so I can turn the system off if I’m plowing at night. Happy new year everyone.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Hi guys. I know this is a bit late but here’s a little tip or you that I’ve used for many years when wanting reverse lights or a back up beeper the easiest way to do it is with this kind of switch. Look for a linkage that moves when you put the machine in reverse then make up a mounting bracket and mount it so that the long spring will move and activate the micro switch inside the unit. It can be as sensitive as you want it. For reverse beepers I also install a cut off switch in the dash so I can turn the system off if I’m plowing at night. Happy new year everyone.
Good switch, nice package, but still, with the slight movement in the treadle it takes on the Hydrostatic transmissions, you're long gone before the beeper ever starts making any noise. The thing with a standard stick that makes it easier is that you have to have the clutch pushed in before you move the stick to reverse, so a microswitch on that stick isn't hard to do. I suppose you could make an adjustable bracket for the switch in your link, and keep tweaking it until it turned on the horn with the slightest pressure going backward, but then it would be a pain to keep it from beeping all the time. I just wish there was a way to externally sense reverse clutch pressure on these critters. With a pressure switch, it could be easily tweaked in to pickup on any reverse clutch pressure, and make it squawk before the tractor even moves. But, looks like it's gonna have to be something super sensitive mechanically. Still thunkin' on this problem. Just wish I could get my tractor in out of the cold so I could study this a bit more. It's Alabama Winter at the moment (just under 40F with drizzling rain) which lasts a week at a time. Not all that cold, but absolutely miserable when you can't dry out and warm up.

Maybe I give that pressure switch idea to Kubota and they make me a millionaire? One can dream, right?

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Good switch, nice package, but still, with the slight movement in the treadle it takes on the Hydrostatic transmissions, you're long gone before the beeper ever starts making any noise. The thing with a standard stick that makes it easier is that you have to have the clutch pushed in before you move the stick to reverse, so a microswitch on that stick isn't hard to do. I suppose you could make an adjustable bracket for the switch in your link, and keep tweaking it until it turned on the horn with the slightest pressure going backward, but then it would be a pain to keep it from beeping all the time. I just wish there was a way to externally sense reverse clutch pressure on these critters. With a pressure switch, it could be easily tweaked in to pickup on any reverse clutch pressure, and make it squawk before the tractor even moves. But, looks like it's gonna have to be something super sensitive mechanically. Still thunkin' on this problem. Just wish I could get my tractor in out of the cold so I could study this a bit more. It's Alabama Winter at the moment (just under 40F with drizzling rain) which lasts a week at a time. Not all that cold, but absolutely miserable when you can't dry out and warm up.

Maybe I give that pressure switch idea to Kubota and they make me a millionaire? One can dream, right?
Ya know, I just thought of something. My other orange tractor (Husqvarna YTH-2246) does indeed have a reverse contact that can be bypassed with an extra keyswitch position so that I can reverse with the mower while the blade is engaged. I need to look at that setup closely because it's pretty sensitive. No point in re-inventing the wheel.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Ya know, I just thought of something. My other orange tractor (Husqvarna YTH-2246) does indeed have a reverse contact that can be bypassed with an extra keyswitch position so that I can reverse with the mower while the blade is engaged. I need to look at that setup closely because it's pretty sensitive. No point in re-inventing the wheel.
Old_Paint that's a good point as my Deere X585 had something similar on the PTO switch for mowing in reverse. That had separate pedal for forward and reverse though and I'm pretty sure it had reverse lights as well.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Old_Paint that's a good point as my Deere X585 had something similar on the PTO switch for mowing in reverse. That had separate pedal for forward and reverse though and I'm pretty sure it had reverse lights as well.
My Husqy has a single treadle, just like the 'bota. No lights at all, other than pretty wimpy headlights. But it's definitely got an interlock that kills the engine if I don't have the key switch set to bypass it. I just need to look at what Husqvarna did, and see if I can adapt that to the Kubota. The electrical part of this is easy. It's the mechanical part that will make you rue the day you put it on if it doesn't work like it needs to.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

Kubota has used a pressure switch to activate the backup alarm on construction equipment for a lot of years now.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Kubota has used a pressure switch to activate the backup alarm on construction equipment for a lot of years now.
Just not on the LX series tractors (new for 2020), or is that an option that I missed somewhere?

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.

Been using this set up for years with zero issues. Set it up right and it works flawlessly. Just thought I’d help. all the best 👍

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just not on the LX series tractors (new for 2020), or is that an option that I missed somewhere?
No, it is not an option on an LX series. You stated " Maybe I give that pressure switch idea to Kubota and they make me a millionaire? One can dream, right? "

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
No, it is not an option on an LX series. You stated " Maybe I give that pressure switch idea to Kubota and they make me a millionaire? One can dream, right? "
Didn't think so. I did a lot of homework before I purchased, but didn't really think about this until after I got the tractor. It's noisy enough folks nearby should be paying attention. I just like for 'em to know which direction it's going to move. Best bet is to keep spectators at safe spectator distance.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Been using this set up for years with zero issues. Set it up right and it works flawlessly. Just thought I’d help. all the best 👍
Appreciate the input. I'm fishing for ideas and offering my observations based on what I've already seen, not trying to criticize what someone else has done. With the HST, there's nothing to shift to go backward. It's just a rocker pedal that only needs to move a tiny bit to move the tractor, QUICKLY. On the LX, it seems to be extremely sensitive. Just touching the pedal in either direction seems to pick up the load on the hydraulic pumps. I can hear it. If you're saying you have this mounted on an HST model tractor, please, by all means, show photos of how you mounted it, and even video of it working. If it's a manual tractor, we're talking apples and oranges.

That's a long cat whisker on that switch and it's gonna take a lot of movement to change the state of the switch. Most switches like that also have an intentional mechanical hysteresis which requires slightly more movement going the opposite direction to turn them back off. I've done a lot of work with limit/proximity switches in heavy industry. Try stopping a 70000 pound transfer car with a very hot 60000 pound steel coil on it's back travelling at 250 FPM on wet and oily rails reliably within 1" tolerance for an ID bander (one that goes through the eye of the coil) to strap it without breaking the bander. That, along with the bander control, was my bread and butter for a while. I know how the devices work, and can generally figure out where to put them so they work best. I've considered something like a compact laser prox if I can find one for 12V power source and figure out where to put a flag to operate it on the linkage where it won't get ripped off. I just can't get under the tractor to have a proper look right now, so I'm getting some ideas first to investigate and try when it's more suitable weather. Too cold and wet and nowhere to get the tractor inside (yet).