Reverse Alarm for LX2610 / B2650

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Since neither the LX2610 or the B2650 have reverse lights, is there any way to add a reverse alarm or is everything only mechanical? I know some people hate them but while plowing yesterday I really wished I had one in case people approached unexpectedly.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you should be able to add a 'reverse switch', so when in reverse power is sent to an annoying backup beeper. Probably want a 'defeat' switch in series though....or ear muffs...

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
you should be able to add a 'reverse switch', so when in reverse power is sent to an annoying backup beeper. Probably want a 'defeat' switch in series though....or ear muffs...
Good idea thank you. I'm not a big fan either but the neighbors kids run around unsupervised on my property and if it doesn't provide a warning for them, I'm hoping that it annoys the hell out of thier mother.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Since neither the LX2610 or the B2650 have reverse lights, is there any way to add a reverse alarm or is everything only mechanical? I know some people hate them but while plowing yesterday I really wished I had one in case people approached unexpectedly.
I agree that there should be a way, and in fact, they're required on nearly all construction/industrial sites on all vehicles. I've seen (heard) plenty backhoes with HST that certainly had them.

Do you have HST or manual transmission? The HST might be the easiest to mount a switch on, but keeping it adjusted so that it only beeps when you're actually backing up, but doesn't when you take your foot off, the treadle will be the challenge. A mercury switch sounds like a good idea, but any incline at all is going to affect how well that works. The actuator for the switch would need to be partially loaded on the neutral position, but obviously, you wouldn't want it caterwauling at you while you were sitting still. I don't know if there's any external line to permit using a hydraulic pressure switch to detect reverse motion.

As annoying as backup horns are, sure beats the hell out of being sued because you didn't warn someone that you were backing up. I have one on my F-150 LWB Crew Cab with a contractor's cap on the bed because it has a lot of blind spots and I want everyone around me to know that its going backward. It's big, it's red, and it goes "BEEP-BEEP", so claiming they didn't see me or hear me ain't gonna hold water.

I don't do any snow plowing. In Alabama, 4 visible snowflakes shuts the state down. I kinda like it that way.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I agree that there should be a way, and in fact, they're required on nearly all construction/industrial sites on all vehicles. I've seen (heard) plenty backhoes with HST that certainly had them.

Do you have HST or manual transmission? The HST might be the easiest to mount a switch on, but keeping it adjusted so that it only beeps when you're actually backing up, but doesn't when you take your foot off, the treadle will be the challenge. A mercury switch sounds like a good idea, but any incline at all is going to affect how well that works. The actuator for the switch would need to be partially loaded on the neutral position, but obviously, you wouldn't want it caterwauling at you while you were sitting still. I don't know if there's any external line to permit using a hydraulic pressure switch to detect reverse motion.

As annoying as backup horns are, sure beats the hell out of being sued because you didn't warn someone that you were backing up. I have one on my F-150 LWB Crew Cab with a contractor's cap on the bed because it has a lot of blind spots and I want everyone around me to know that its going backward. It's big, it's red, and it goes "BEEP-BEEP", so claiming they didn't see me or hear me ain't gonna hold water.

I don't do any snow plowing. In Alabama, 4 visible snowflakes shuts the state down. I kinda like it that way.
Haha thanks for the suggestions. It is a hydrostatic transmission. We got two feet of visible snowflakes yesterday so I got quite a bit of seat time.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
My B7100 came without the optional horn, so I added one. I give a couple of beeps on the horn before backing up, just in case. Not as thorough as a dedicated backup alarm, but better than nothing. Perhaps an interim option?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
My B7100 came without the optional horn, so I added one. I give a couple of beeps on the horn before backing up, just in case. Not as thorough as a dedicated backup alarm, but better than nothing. Perhaps an interim option?
This looks promising:
Thank you both as these seem like promising options!

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
If your a bit savvy with electrical, you could mount a micro switch or a proximity switch on your pedal linkage somehow, with a rely, to activate a back up alarm. You’d need 12v from somewhere. Shouldn’t be too complicated of a project

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
If your a bit savvy with electrical, you could mount a micro switch or a proximity switch on your pedal linkage somehow, with a rely, to activate a back up alarm. You’d need 12v from somewhere. Shouldn’t be too complicated of a project
There is a switched 12v for the rear work lights under the right rear fender so that's definitely an option I can research further. Also, I noticed the B2650 with the cab option has a horn where the hazard switch is on my ROPS LX2610. Any chance I could just replace the switch and possibly add a horn to an existing connector? I know there are differences in the harnesses between the LX2610 ROPS and cab models but I'm not exactly certain what they are.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
After further research, I realized the other combo switch requires a seperate hazard switch. Because of that, I may just run a seperate horn switch as I like the idea of being able to warn others when reversing, but not at 4:00am or 11:00pm.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
After further research, I realized the other combo switch requires a seperate hazard switch. Because of that, I may just run a seperate horn switch as I like the idea of being able to warn others when reversing, but not at 4:00am or 11:00pm.
If I'm working at 4AM or 11PM, I want the world to know and feel guilty they aren't out there with me. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I've got 40 years of Electrical Engineering experience in industrial services, so I can probably handle anything for the wiring part. I just haven't really looked under the tractor enough to get an idea on what to do mechanically, and the treadle is pretty sensitive. You don't have to move it much at all on the LX2610. The only problem I see with Paul's design is that it may not be sensitive enough unless you're pressing down pretty hard with treadle in reverse. Tweaking the pickup point doesn't look like it would be too hard, though. A lot of my reversing is just creeping. I guess the argument to that is if I'm moving that slowly, most anything has plenty time to get out of the way. I've watched a LOT of Paul Short's videos, and somehow completely missed that mod. Thanks for the link.

Reactions: 1 user

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I've got 40 years of Electrical Engineering experience in industrial services, so I can probably handle anything for the wiring part. I just haven't really looked under the tractor enough to get an idea on what to do mechanically, and the treadle is pretty sensitive. You don't have to move it much at all on the LX2610. The only problem I see with Paul's design is that it may not be sensitive enough unless you're pressing down pretty hard with treadle in reverse. Tweaking the pickup point doesn't look like it would be too hard, though. A lot of my reversing is just creeping. I guess the argument to that is if I'm moving that slowly, most anything has plenty time to get out of the way. I've watched a LOT of Paul Short's videos, and somehow completely missed that mod. Thanks for the link.

I looked into doing similar on my B2650 cab, for reverse lights though, and found it to be a chore.
There really is no good option to make the pedal contact a switch.

If you come up with something, please post some photos.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
A "pull type" micro switch with a spring connection would be very easy to rig under the floor behind the pedal. Could trigger with less than an 1/8" of movement.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Check your manual's electrical diagrams, many tractors have a back up alarm circuit already there and you just have to connect an alarm. No switches required.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Check your manual's electrical diagrams, many tractors have a back up alarm circuit already there and you just have to connect an alarm. No switches required.
Interesting, I will definitely look for that.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Or a little bicycle bell on the fender so I could manually make little "CHING! CHING!" noises when I turn to back up. The wheel bells, while good enough to see one coming from a distance, rarely have more than one clapper, meaning it takes a full revolution of the wheel to operate (go DING). The circumference (distance to be traveled) of the huge R14 tires on my LX2610 could be as much as 20 feet before it made a noise. I haven't calculated it yet, but it's gonna be a big number. Sometimes, 2 inches is far enough to hurt someone that is standing too close and not paying attention. I try not to let folks do that around my work areas, and anyone that does gets a good chewing out. I'm really grouchy when it comes to gross safety infractions. Even if I'm just splitting wood with an axe, or digging with a pickaxe, I don't want folks too close if they're not contributing to the task at hand. Distance is your number one friend in safety.