Retirement

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It comes down to you. It's a risky decision to retire. If you read and believe the investment, stock, bonds, and 401K blogs, they say you'll need X amount of millions of $ to retire and maintain your desired lifestyle. Most people just aren't there. Portfolio be damned.

Life expectancy is a huge issue too. In my past profession from which I retired from, life expectancy after retirement averaged at 2 years. It was a stressful job. I got out because I hope for a couple decades of operating my Kubota in tractor therapy and it's joy.

If you love your job and it doesn't tax your physical, and most importantly stressful well being, do it until your 80!

As other's have mentioned, don't stop doing things. It will give you motivation as well as mental and physical health.

i worked with so many in my past retired profession, that said that when they retire, they're going to sit in the chair and watch Captain Kangaroo and do nothing. (Sit on the beach in Cancun and drink beer, actually). "Enjoy it"! They said.

But, that's not for me. I retired buying a new tractor and lots of land and an agenda to stay busy. Who's better off, time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It comes down to you. It's a risky decision to retire. If you read and believe the investment, stock, bonds, and 401K blogs, they say you'll need X amount of millions of $ to retire and maintain your desired lifestyle. Most people just aren't there. Portfolio be damned.

Life expectancy is a huge issue too. In my past profession from which I retired from, life expectancy after retirement averaged at 2 years. It was a stressful job. I got out because I hope for a couple decades of operating my Kubota in tractor therapy and it's joy.

If you love your job and it doesn't tax your physical, and most importantly stressful well being, do it until your 80!

As other's have mentioned, don't stop doing things. It will give you motivation as well as mental and physical health.

i worked with so many in my past retired profession, that said that when they retire, they're going to sit in the chair and watch Captain Kangaroo and do nothing. (Sit on the beach in Cancun and drink beer, actually). "Enjoy it"! They said.

But, that's not for me. I retired buying a new tractor and lots of land and an agenda to stay busy. Who's better off, time will tell.
Having retired at age 60, and now being almost 83,......I will say that you have made the wise choice!

Reactions: 2 users

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
Retirement is wonderful, but I find that I still work for someone, my new boss (the wife) is harder than the one I retired from lol. I love it just wish I could have done it before my body wore out.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Since follow up on final resolution is generally good etiquette on forums such as this and I started this thread, I thought it appropriate to say final resolution of my retirement was perfected at about 5:20 this afternoon when I walked out the door for the last time. Even on the last day I still couldn’t leave at closing time due to a last minute “emergency”, which my replacement would have been screwing around with probably to 6:00 and I knew he needed to get home so I helped him with it. A fitting and appropriate end.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Perfect! Congratulations! I recall my last evening leaving the office after 31 years. Kind of bitter sweet.

Then we had a party!🎉

Now I sell my skills back to the same outfit on my terms, part time. My rate is just a “little” higher now. 😁

Enjoy the next chapter. You’ve earned it!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Congratulations!!!!!

I am jealous of you, but happy for you!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Congratulations on closing one chapter of your life and opening up a new one for you to enjoy !

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
NICE !!
retirement..
that stage in your life where friends family and total strangers all KNOW can put YOUR projects immediately on hold and fix THEIR busted stuff ASAP....:oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Congratulations! Now, you work because you want to. I’ll join you in retirement on Valentine’s Day. 😁

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Welcome to the retiree club ! After the initial culture shock , a new life lies ahead.

LOL. My old man Barcalounger has 1833 cc's !

• Haha

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Great thread, I have retired from electrician about 6 years ago. Knees and back couldn't handle it anymore. I work in retail now. Have about 3 years to go till I can really retire. But this job is easy, inside out of the elements. Not sure when I'll pull the plug. Congratulations on your retirement!!

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
All about attitude OP. Lean into this part of life and things will likely go well.

congratulations, now get out there and enjoy your time.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I retired 8 years ago at 55 and was VERY happy with my decision. Last December, the university asked if I would be willing to cover a single course section for a visiting prof who decided to back out for Spring 2023 and I agreed. It was fun and I was asked to repeat this single section for this past Fall. A couple of months ago, I was asked if I would be willing to teach two sections of the same senior level strategy course for Spring 2024 and one section of it along with two sections of a MBA course for Fall. Two weeks after that, I was approached again to see if I would also take over the internship program again.

So I guess I suck at retirement 🤣 I am actually having fun because I don't have to deal with the not so fun parts that were part of my life as a tenured full prof and although I retired very comfortably, I can't say no to a great salary offer. So I will probably do this for maybe 3 years before going back to full retirement. I am only going to be on campus a couple of days each week and my compensation is below the limit that would require me to pause my pension and go back to full faculty status so it is a nice situation.

I wasn't getting bored with retirement between plenty of yard work, restoring and operating vintage amateur radio gear, and doing a lot of volunteer sports photography for the Catholic high school from which my daughter graduated but it is a lot of fun to be back working with my colleagues and with college seniors and grad students.

Rodger

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
Enjoy! I retired at 53, 66 now. I bought a country home and work some during the summer. Sold off the animals (that made it a 12 mo. job) and just fiddle around in a garden now. You can make that hard, or not. Now I just fiddle around wood working/turning, little house remodel here/there as I feel like it, some traveling, lots of fishing/hunting and motor-bike riding. I say life started at retirement. The only thing I really work at is watching the budget, we plan on living til atleast 100! One thing I did to make sure retirement was stress free for the most part, I made sure before my wife retired, I had everything paid off so no payments, everything in great shape and cash on hand to buy the occasional bigger ticket item when an older one dies.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Congratulations!

At 37 years in, I’m looking forward to join the ranks soon.

Finding it increasingly hard to go to work every day.

I typically work 51+ weeks a year, which is getting old as I get older too.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'm guessing you, like me, are Gen X?
It'll be here before we know it!
(y)

5 years ago I told my Dad that I loved my job so much, I may never retire.....Then IT happened.

My job duties got a major overhaul.....Now my retirement date is Dec. 1 2029 at 1411........I'll be running MF'rs over like Larry Csonka, running out of the building.......

Crazy how fast things change.

• Haha