Reservations about an 8 y/o L3901 HST

outpostfarmer

Dec 5, 2023
USA
My SO and I are in the market for a tractor for 15 acres. We're in the market for a good deal on something between an L3901 and an MX5400. We wouldn't immediately use all of the power in MX, but with our next property acquisition, we would. We intend on moving dirt / gravel around, clearing paths in our acreage, and doing some very light tilling / haying. In future, anticipate more mechanically demanding work.

I found a used tractor at a dealer, a 2014 L3901 with 500 hours (had 500 hour service done), new 6 ft grapple w/ 3rd function, used bucket, used box blade, and used quick attach. Out the door price is $24,000. The plastic grill clearly had a puncture but the sales and service team are firm on their insistence there is nothing wrong with the tractor. There is no warranty and the machine is sold as is. This being our first tractor, we're concerned about major mechanical failures. Would you have any reservations about buying a 8 year old tractors without any warranty against major mechanical failure as a result of whatever impaled the grill or in general?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Find out if it has a DPF and computer. I believe 2014 was the first year for this addition. If it uses a DPF just walk away. You don't want the first year of anything like that. I do wonder if there's nothing wrong with the tractor why there's no warranty. I doubt you'll have any major mechanical failures any time soon but minor ones (like a DPF or computer) can cost big bucks to fix.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was thinking exactly what roadworthy was thinking ......... if DPF or not.

If not then jump - if it does have the DPF, and being first year, might look at it a little harder.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

Couple things I thought of:
1. Future needs is har far away? Couple years? (3-5 or 5-10 or longer?). If fairly near term I’d be thinking about how much more land really getting and will one machine be enough. Then also for the work, how much machine is enough? When you say haying I start thinking more towards an M than a MX. but if doing that kind of work I wonder just one machine is realistic…but I really did. It understand your current or future scope of operations.

2. If not comfortable with the risk of buying without a warranty, then don’t tease yourself. If you want piece of mind, pay the piper. New can break too, but hopefully a warranty is there. Either way breakage sucks. Only the one holding the wallet can decide tolerance for that. If still not sure what is the failure mode you are happy to deal with? I think as others have mentioned there are some items better to drive on if some concern.

If price is a factor and worried about new tech stuff, I’d go a few years older and do without the new tech items….not my machine or money. Just my thoughts.

outpostfarmer

Dec 5, 2023
USA
1. It's a few years away. With enough land, I think you're right, an M starts to make a lot more sense.

2. Does the fact that it's had a 500 hour service realistically mean anything in terms of the state of the machine?

Good day.

Couple things I thought of:
1. Future needs is har far away? Couple years? (3-5 or 5-10 or longer?). If fairly near term I’d be thinking about how much more land really getting and will one machine be enough. Then also for the work, how much machine is enough? When you say haying I start thinking more towards an M than a MX. but if doing that kind of work I wonder just one machine is realistic…but I really did. It understand your current or future scope of operations.

2. If not comfortable with the risk of buying without a warranty, then don’t tease yourself. If you want piece of mind, pay the piper. New can break too, but hopefully a warranty is there. Either way breakage sucks. Only the one holding the wallet can decide tolerance for that. If still not sure what is the failure mode you are happy to deal with? I think as others have mentioned there are some items better to drive on if some concern.

If price is a factor and worried about new tech stuff, I’d go a few years older and do without the new tech items….not my machine or money. Just my thoughts.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
1. It's a few years away. With enough land, I think you're right, an M starts to make a lot more sense.

2. Does the fact that it's had a 500 hour service realistically mean anything in terms of the state of the machine?
Maybe, but not an absolute…if you have a rockstar mechanic, they are worth their weight in gold and underpaid…is that who did the service? I can’t say myself how much time the mechanic has with the machine to run and compare it…I suspect limited unless something really wrong. So beyond that’s it’s what’s in the manual. Ultimately the normal operator has responsibility to identify changes in how the machine is running (sight/sound/smell/feel)…short of that I think you could assume fluids and filters etc changed according to 500 hour service. If there is more to it than that at the dealer you are shopping I’d ask for a 30day or 90 day money back / warrantee if worried. (I suspect most used sales are as is though). If dealer doesn’t want to stand behind it and you don’t feel comfortable, walk away. At some point only you can decide what level risk / reward you are after.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Some push to find a pre DPF tractor but the newest you will find is nearing 10 years old. Regardless of operating hours. (Above 26hp of course.)

My L3800, bought mid 2014 just hit 500 hours. All that’s been replaced so far has been the battery and a fan belt(didn’t break, just ran out of adjust).

If your already wanting to upgrade, buy once cry once. Unless you plan on keeping the first tractor. I’ve been looking for an M series(used) you get a lot for the money.

As far as the warranty, some have used it, some haven’t. My two cents, buy the service manual to whichever tractor you end up with and some tools. There are plenty on here that can/will offer help if it’s over your capacity.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
The Kubota Grand L model (and L4701) in regards to size is in between the Standard L and MX series tractors. I’d suggest looking at some examples.

Mike

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You might want to check, but I think most emissions systems are lifetime warranty, But, DPF can be a pain in the neck. $24K doesn't seem bad for what it comes with.

500 hrs isn't very many.

Check their online reviews to find out if they generally honest. If so, it's probably a good deal. Either a L3901 or MX5400 are going to have DPFs, so I think that's a wash other than a MX5400 is a lot larger tractor.

In my experience with DPF diesels (no I haven't owned that many). The hardware is fine. The software is usually where the DPF issue are. That's a simple upgrade for the dealer. YMMV.

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
My opinion is if you golng to buy something without a warranty I would look for a pre- dpf tractor. It.s just not the dpf system, the common rail system is much more expensive to replace parts.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If i was serious about purchasing a used tractor I'd ask the dealer to give me the name and number of the previous owner so I could ask him question about his likes/dislikes/troubles. If dealer refuses to provide the info I move on!

Ask a lot of questions and if not there in person ask for a lot of pictures.

A few years back I was looking for a specific model tractor and when I found one it was a few hundred miles away, at a dealer. After many conversations I asked the salesman to take more pictures (than I already had) and asked him to specifically show every aspect of the machine a woman would ask about if she was writing the check. Wanting to see every scrape, seat tear, tire plug, busted/cracked grill, etc. It holds his feet to the fire!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I don’t see a problem with a well maintained L3901 with 500 hours. But, considering your future plans, I would look for a MX or M series tractor.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
If you don’t want DPF, then a Grand L 30 or 40 series would do what you need. And give you two or three sizes to choose from in each series.

If you’re not familiar with Tractordata.com, look it up looks of info to help you paw though history.

So far as I know, there isn’t a manufacturer’s warranty that will cover from damage due to pushing something through the radiator. That damage is caused by the user’s mistake not the manufacturer’s (unless it was secondary to a failure of a system covered by warranty that caused the problem).

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My SO and I are in the market for a tractor for 15 acres. We're in the market for a good deal on something between an L3901 and an MX5400. We wouldn't immediately use all of the power in MX, but with our next property acquisition, we would. We intend on moving dirt / gravel around, clearing paths in our acreage, and doing some very light tilling / haying. In future, anticipate more mechanically demanding work.

I found a used tractor at a dealer, a 2014 L3901 with 500 hours (had 500 hour service done), new 6 ft grapple w/ 3rd function, used bucket, used box blade, and used quick attach. Out the door price is $24,000. The plastic grill clearly had a puncture but the sales and service team are firm on their insistence there is nothing wrong with the tractor. There is no warranty and the machine is sold as is. This being our first tractor, we're concerned about major mechanical failures. Would you have any reservations about buying a 8 year old tractors without any warranty against major mechanical failure as a result of whatever impaled the grill or in general?
4+ years ago I bought a 2006 Kubota L48 TLB, then a 13 year old machine.
Had 251 total hours.
I bought from original owner, 350 miles away ( I lack affection for "stealers" )
Had a friend who lived local to the seller, look at the tractor for me.
Mailed the seller a $6K deposit check.
Two weeks later, took $26K check for balance, and my trailer, to pick it up.
My $32K buy is now worth $42K+, and runs like a Swiss watch.
I could not be more pleased!

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I would have reservations about any 8 year old tractor. Itnwould have to come at a considerable cost savings over new to tempt me. Personally I passed on a 3 year old 90 hour L3901 because the cost savings was only $3K.

I have owned and kept old tractors running all my life. Having a new worry free machine has been a real delight.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Offer $19,000 out the door. Their price is not terrible but not great either. The prices for the used tractors seem to be coming down. I have seen lots of the low hour 3901s being offered for around $20,000. You can bet they sell on average for a bit less. Most people would rather finance a new one at a 0% rate ,if its still available, than cough up $24,000 for a 9 year old used tractor (me included). Make sure to check www.tractorhouse.com . Good luck.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would have reservations about any 8 year old tractor. Itnwould have to come at a considerable cost savings over new to tempt me. Personally I passed on a 3 year old 90 hour L3901 because the cost savings was only $3K.

I have owned and kept old tractors running all my life. Having a new worry free machine has been a real delight.

Dan
Beautifully said. I feel quite the same but had not considered myself delighted until now. It is true. I got tired of fixing things a bought new for the first time 2 years ago. Its been fantastic. Love my B2601

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Beautifully said. I feel quite the same but had not considered myself delighted until now. It is true. I got tired of fixing things a bought new for the first time 2 years ago. Its been fantastic. Love my B2601
Exactly. In my case $3k bought me a full factory warranty and no worries about what the previous owner may have done in the 3 years he/she owned it. If the third party seller had accepted my initisl offer of less money I probably would have rolled the dice on the otherwise pristine 90 hour machine. He ultimately called me and said OK but by that time Messicks was already putting the loader on my just uncrated new one.

An 8 year old 500 hour machine is a much different animal with far more unknowns and I would expect depreciation to be even greater.

Dan