Replace 30 yr old Bush Hog or keep draggin?

redwormrancher

Equipment
L3200DT w/ LA524 Loader
Jul 1, 2014
NC
Hey everyone:

Sorry if this is a redundant question, I searched and did not see any such threads… So, I recently bought a '13 L3200DT w/ a FEL. I was getting ready to hook up the 30 year old 5 foot "Squealer" and an old timer told me I should buy a new Bush Hog as the old one could go out and not have readily available replacement parts.

Would y'all go new or keep dragging the old one around? Blade is REAL dull as the shear force does the cutting I guess. I'm near a river and there are lots of large rocks that get hit from time to time.

By the way, I'm looking to sell the L245 tractor I replaced - should I sell the deck with the tractor or trade both to the dealer on a new B.Hog?

Thanks, RWR

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sell it with the older tractor.
Since your dealing with rocks, look into a flail mower, they work with rocky areas much better than a rotary mower.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey everyone:

Sorry if this is a redundant question, I searched and did not see any such threads… So, I recently bought a '13 L3200DT w/ a FEL. I was getting ready to hook up the 30 year old 5 foot "Squealer" and an old timer told me I should buy a new Bush Hog as the old one could go out and not have readily available replacement parts.

Would y'all go new or keep dragging the old one around? Blade is REAL dull as the shear force does the cutting I guess. I'm near a river and there are lots of large rocks that get hit from time to time.

By the way, I'm looking to sell the L245 tractor I replaced - should I sell the deck with the tractor or trade both to the dealer on a new B.Hog?

Thanks, RWR
If you are going to be cutting rocks:eek:, keep the old, why spend a lot of money on something new, just to beat it up. Raise the deck, grind the blades to a edge, not a sharp edge, unlike a knive, brush hog blade shears whatever they hit, they shouldnt cut it. Place a high angle edge on it and cut away. A 30 year old machine might be better than a new one!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah Im cheap for my money if it were mine,,,,, run it till it don't run no more and then fix it and run it some more

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My new to me 60" finish mower needs a set of blades- which i found. Cheap
So for 30+ year old mower it works fine. My six foot bush mower is still good. Want a shiny mower- paint it. I did, looks way better too.
The old finish mower is getting a coat of orange this winter.

redwormrancher

Equipment
L3200DT w/ LA524 Loader
Jul 1, 2014
NC
Thanks everyone. My feeling was to keep on using the old fella too... but I thought I'd ask! Regards, RWR

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Got an old squealer on my F*** that I use to "resize" rocks with on my property.
Not much of an angle on the blades and it just keeps going. Housing starts to crack, put some 16gauge over it and weld away.
Also have a set of chains to keep it at a constant level so I don't worry about bleed down.

redwormrancher

Equipment
L3200DT w/ LA524 Loader
Jul 1, 2014
NC
Well, I sold the old tractor and kept the 5 foot Squealer. Hooked up the old deck to our new L3200DT today and it could not have worked better!

The power of the new tractor made all the difference in the world. After 14 years on an L245 (1985 model), this is like a dream!

Cuts through thick pasture grass and 5 foot brush with 2 inch pine trees like it was not even there. What a great experience. I'm looking forward to finishing up another area tomorrow.

By the way, the blades are dull as a baseball bat!

RWR

Attachments

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Not bad looking for 30-yrs old.

I've seen some that had the absolute hell beat out of them and look like scrap metal after just a few years. And they bring good money at sale.

You've got a keeper and a bargain to boot.

Make sure the gearbox is full and / or to its mark / plug.

Sharpen those blades with a handgrinder and be further amazed how it reduces your horsepower requirment and therfore lowers RPM, easier on machine(s), and reduces fuel consumption.

Be aware and keep in mind that the blades can and will bend and break. If when sharpening you observe cracks or huge divots missing, consider replacements (as a set only). Take an original with you to help select from the hundreds of available possible blades.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.