Removing Woods mower PTO Pulley on L175?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Can't try the bolt to press it off cause it is raining outside :( For rest of week it is suppose to rain every day... I don't work; and most the days I do as well. grrrr.. this is getting old. sorry California but its all rain here in OH

Got a hold of Kubota Tech at corporate and they to my surprise said...... they have no clue if the hole in the end of the PTO shaft on the L225 is threaded or not.

Anyone got an L225 that can check the size of the hole on the end of the shaft as well as if it is threaded?

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Just rambling

Had a break in rain just now before needing to get ready for work. Ran the bolt in until it dead ended into the bottom of the hole on the PTO shaft. As noted above hope was this would press the hub off the PTO shaft.

From there it just begun to cross thread. Interestingly bolt appeared to cross thread at the end so this possibly tells me the hole in the PTO shaft is threaded. If it was not then bolt would have shown cross threading up higher on the bolt at the point of where the threads were in contact only with the splined hub.

Granted may be I'm seeing things on the bolt that were there before thus it was the female threads in the hub beginning to cross thread. I didn't look inside the small hole of the hub and should have.

will update tommorow

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The two long bolts against pulley seems to me your best option. Without actually seeing a picture of your conundrum makes for a lot of guessing on our part.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your just trying to remove the center hub from the PTO and already have the outside pulley free and pushed towards the tractor, just use a 3 tooth gear puller.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
If your just trying to remove the center hub from the PTO and already have the outside pulley free and pushed towards the tractor, just use a 3 tooth gear puller.
Wish it was that easy but no. The Center hub unlike a typical gear or pulley has a rear face to it that completely covers the PTO shaft's end (except for the small hole we've been discussing). Another words this hub is not like a gear or pulley you could put up to your eye and see thru the hole the shaft goes in........ but instead like a cup. There is a bottom to it. cup/hub slides over the PTO shaft and bottom of cup covers the end of the PTO Shaft.

Thus a 3 tooth gear puller won't work since pushing and pulling on the same part won't help any.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Coach - post your pics again. They were deleted with your other thread, and I've since forgotten the details.

If its a "cup" over the shaft end with threaded hole - can you bottom out an allen-head cap bolt, leaving the head protruding 1/4" or so out, so you have some room to pull the hub back.

Sink a smooth rod first as a spacer, so you don't thread your bolt into the PTO shaft itself, and cross-thread your bolt again.

Then use the protruding allen-head cap as the center point for your puller??

Sorry, thought about it more and that won't work either....

Smooth rod bottomed out into PTO, extending out of hub, and somehow make that the center point?? Weld a nut on the end to help the center point get a bite on it??

Just tossing ideas...

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
ok.... after viewing pics of other tractor's splined hub for same model mower and seeing zero pics of a cup style splined hub as I've been describing, and remembering what North Idaho Wolfman said about using a standard 3 leg puller (a man much smarter than I)..... went to Autozone and rented both standard puller and a puller with Slide hammer attachment. The slide hammer style is for situations like I've been describing where the hub/pulley/gear is of a cup style. This way all my bases were covered.

. Next I slaughtered a sacrificial student of mine (All is ok; If I had not she would have grown up to be the next Miley Cyrus),
. Then I chanted over and over aloud "Ohwa Tafoo Liam":D:p:eek:
. Followed that with using the standard puller and the bolt I had used before and

.....whala; off it came. Just in time for the rain to start.

It appears the Kubota Blue paint on the hub AND on the PTO shaft fooled me into thinking it was all one piece. Could have swore it was a cup with the bottom of it having a large nipple that surrounded the end portion of the PTO shaft.
5890.jpg

Again Repeat FAST over and over "Ohwa Tafoo Liam" :eek::eek::eek:

5891.jpg

But for everyone's benefit .... did learn few things that might help others.

. The bolts that hold the pulley to the hub ARE METRIC. M6 / 1.0
. The end of the PTO is threaded and also I believe to be metric threads

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
1-3/8"-6 spline pto taper lock.
Coulda woulda shoulda, i would have put a puller on it just like you did. But i dont have one either.
Failing that, push hub on further and clean paint off shaft and use the two bolts with a plate across and drilled for little bolts. Like an H bar puller.

mattmacc

Equipment
L175, L2050, 7' stainless mower, pull-type rotary cutter, box blade, 3-pt bucket
Jun 26, 2010
Makanda, IL
Recently had to remove the drive pulley on a L175 with woods mower ... the pulley was loose, but the hub was frozen on the PTO shaft ... used a stout pulley puller to remove the hub. Also used penetrating spray and taps with a small hammer. I could send a photo of the puller if it helps.

Popeyecop

Equipment
L175, L3901
Sep 14, 2017
Chester, IL
I'm Glad I stumbled across this post. I just bought a L175 with a mid mount mower and pulley drive system. I haven't started the process of removing the deck or pulley yet but at least now I have some tips on removing the pulley.

Is there any special way to remove the deck? Thus is my first tractor and I enjoy driving it but I bought to use with a brush hog not a mid mount mower.
Thanks for the info.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I'm Glad I stumbled across this post. I just bought a L175 with a mid mount mower and pulley drive system. I haven't started the process of removing the deck or pulley yet but at least now I have some tips on removing the pulley.

Is there any special way to remove the deck? Thus is my first tractor and I enjoy driving it but I bought to use with a brush hog not a mid mount mower.
Thanks for the info.

Where's Chester? South of Newburgh NY or elsewhere in the wide world?

I sold my old L175 with Woods belly mower and its made the rounds pretty far.

The sheave on the rear PTO is a tapered type, you remove the bolts then use one or two to "jack" sheave off the hub and clear of the rear PTO shaft. The 3 point arms used chains to pull up on belly mower, if there gone, oh well. The rear of tractor has a stout pile of steel that holds the arms that keep belly mower tracking straight. Mine were two lynch pins and slide mower out. Belt was a pain and required alot of attention.