removing steering wheel

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
well boys, something is VERY WRONG. i just can't get the damn thing off. no amount of pulling/tapping/lubing is working. i'm afraid something is going to break trying to get this thing off. i believe i'm at my wits end now.
Lugbolt, a member with a wealth of practical experience said:

Some of the older equipment that's been stuck on for decades? Cut the wheel off. Had to do that a bunch of times. They don't go on that tight, but they have a taper on the wheel and a taper on the shaft; once they are locked together for a while, they are just locked and can be a pain

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I don't know your definition of "tapping" but mine ain't a tap. Tighten the wheel puller up tight, put your legs/knees under the wheel and add as much uplift as you can and give the wheel puller rap like you mean business because that's the only thing that will remove the wheel. If it didn't come off then add more pressure to the puller and with your knees and hit harder. Yes, it will pop off.

Edit: I didn't catch Dave_eng's reply. Try hard(er) before you use the last resort of cutting.

Last edited:

Bill8200

Equipment
B8200
Oct 12, 2020
PA
I don't know your definition of "tapping" but mine ain't a tap. Tighten the wheel puller up tight, put your legs/knees under the wheel and add as much uplift as you can and give the wheel puller rap like you mean business because that's the only thing that will remove the wheel. If it didn't come off then add more pressure to the puller and with your knees and hit harder. Yes, it will pop off.

Edit: I didn't catch Dave_eng's reply. Try hard(er) before you use the last resort of cutting.
Sounds like I need more umpfh. Thought I was bringing the pain but I’ll try more. I backed off because the jaws started digging into the steering wheel and damaging it. I was even using a Johnson bar on my wrench. I got more leverage but I also got steering wheel damage.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You DID remove the nut under the center-cover.... riiiiiiggghhhtttt????

Bill8200

Equipment
B8200
Oct 12, 2020
PA
I have had my steering wheel on/off a half dozen times using an ordinary Horrible Fright 3-jaw gear puller. The plastic wheel has not been damaged at all. (There are 3 notches underneath which mate with the jaws perfectly.)
I now have 3 notches too. I wonder if yours was previously removed???

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The notches beneath the arms of my wheel are factory.

Here’s what you can do to remove a really stuck steering wheel:

Using a puller (3-jaw in this case)... LOOSEN a few turns but do NOT remove the nut....tension the puller as much as you dare... then using a hammer against the central-screw of the puller... Strike it smartly! This will transmit a shock to the spline-shaft (but the nut will prevent damage to it and also prevent the wheel from flying off the shaft.)
If the wheel did not move: Then tighten the puller again with addt’l tension and Strike the central-screw again.
This is the way we removed stuck steering wheels from classic cars when we were afraid of damaging them and it worked every time.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
In addition to the puller being tightened down well, an air chisel with a planishing hammer installed in it could be the answer to breaking it loose. The rapid beating/vibrations on the end of the puller bolt will loosen alot of stuck together parts!

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I couldn't remove my wheel either after 35 years. Ended up making a proper puller that went under the base of the wheel. Still needed a lot of tightening before it popped off. I was afraid of damaging the gear box if I hammered too hard.

BobbyK

Equipment
1995 B2400
May 20, 2018
Petrolia, Ontario
put tension on the puller, then give the the puller a tap with a hammer.
"should" pop right off.

I utilized the 3 holes at the bottom of the steering wheel.
I found the appropriate sized washers that are larger than the holes but won't interfere with the plastic/rubber skirt of the steering wheel. Then with a little "finagling" with the bolts I used the puller as intended.

I used this kind of puller.

TonySchumacher

Equipment
At home: Kubota LX2610hsdc, CAT 262D, attachments for both...
Oct 21, 2020
well boys, something is VERY WRONG. i just can't get the damn thing off. no amount of pulling/tapping/lubing is working. i'm afraid something is going to break trying to get this thing off. i believe i'm at my wits end now.
My local Kubota dealer is also a Carquest (I think I spelled that correctly) store and they will "loan" out almost all specialty tools for a deposit only. I only recently have purchased a Kubota tractor, but have used the Carquest side many times over the past 30+ years, and they have always been very helpful. Have you tried to inquire to them about this and see if they can help or provide guidance?

I have been there so many times over the years, that many of the mechanics have lent me their own "specialty" tools for some projects.

Bill8200

Equipment
B8200
Oct 12, 2020
PA
My local Kubota dealer is also a Carquest (I think I spelled that correctly) store and they will "loan" out almost all specialty tools for a deposit only. I only recently have purchased a Kubota tractor, but have used the Carquest side many times over the past 30+ years, and they have always been very helpful. Have you tried to inquire to them about this and see if they can help or provide guidance?

I have been there so many times over the years, that many of the mechanics have lent me their own "specialty" tools for some projects.
I have a friend coming over this weekend. He says we’ll get the thing off. Thanks for the reply!!

Bill8200

Equipment
B8200
Oct 12, 2020
PA
Finally got the wheel off. A buddy who has done it before said I needed to whack the center really hard while the two of us pull up really hard on the wheel. He did admit it was one of the tougher ones, but we got ‘er. Thanks for all the input. After that it was on to the real job of replacing the voltage regulator. I think it was causing my brand new battery to over charge and leak out.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Finally got the wheel off. A buddy who has done it before said I needed to whack the center really hard while the two of us pull up really hard on the wheel. He did admit it was one of the tougher ones, but we got ‘er. Thanks for all the input. After that it was on to the real job of replacing the voltage regulator. I think it was causing my brand new battery to over charge and leak out.
We were all rootiing for you.............

Daave

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
...using a hammer against the central-screw...... Strike it smartly! .
This is the way we removed stuck steering wheels from classic cars when we were afraid of damaging them and it worked every time.
Finally got the wheel off. A buddy who has done it before said I needed to whack the center really hard while the two of us pull up really hard on the wheel. ...

Told ya’.... ;)

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Put a dab of Anti-Seize on the shaft when you reinstall the steering wheel and tighten the nut very lightly.

Reactions: 2 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Strangely enough, Tuesday I installed a horn on my tractor and had to remove the steering wheel. Since the nut/lock washer had not been snugged down, I removed them with a 6" crescent wrench leaving the nut well above the "anti-seized" shaft end. With my knees below the steering wheel and pushing up, I gave the nut a rap and off came the steering wheel. ;) (y)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
AND...when you reinstall that steering-wheel..... it is UNNECESSARY to tighten that top-nut than slightly-more than finger-tight.... after first painting the shaft-splines with anti-seize.