Recs on ballast

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Good morning all. Had a bit of a "oh crap" moment a few days back and need some advice please, Have 10 hours on new L6060 ( beet juice filled tires). Took delivery of a shed kit and helped the driver lift a load of lumber (about 900lbs) that was on top of my order with my pallet forks. Tractor facing downhill and slight lean to the left side. I grabbed in center of bundle but right wheels of tractor lifted when I raised forks. Changed my underwear and then grabbed lumber left of center without further incident. I understand initial left lean was part of issue ( as well as this size tractor being new to me). Thinking 3 pt ballast box or equivalent might be helpful. So question is 1) how much weight to use and 2) will the ballast cause me to tip backwards when I go up my steep, long driveway (14% grade at some points) if I don't have weight in front end loader? Perhaps I need to use 2 ballast boxes ( 1 kept on hill top and one stored at bottom? Thanks all and Merry Christmas

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
First of all, welcome to OTT! Ive been in your seat too. Newbie learning exp.
Ballast isn't a cut n dry number. What's your loader lift capacity? Like 1500?
IMHO, a good place to start is 2/3 of that.
And no, you won't tip backwards.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's always 'fun' to learn how your new tractor operates !!, glad you're safe and shed is fine.....
you should find out how much beet juice is in the tires for 'weight',sounds like not enough.
If you ALWAYS need ballast then a dedicated ballast box may be the best solution but that means you're ONLY using tractor as a 'front end loader', no 3PH or PTO operations.

I prefer a 'carryall' to a dedicated 'ballast box' for several reasons
1) carryall is a LOT easier to connect/disconnect
2) by using several skids of weight, you can tailor the 'ballast' for the job
3) cheap to have boxes ,top of hill, btm of hill, in the woods, etc.
4) carryall has LOTS of uses,haul wood, IBC totes, tools,tires, stones, etc.
5) economical...

I made my carryall 20 years ago, using forklift forks. Easy to get on, backup to a skid with box of weight in it, lift up 'skid of ballast' and off to work. when done, easily drop(er , place) skid down, unhook carryall.
The 'trick' with skids is to 'double skid' them. Lower one the ground,rain and bugs will consume,Upper one keeps clean and dry and easier to slide under.

options, always look for options, pick the one best suited for YOUR needs

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Jay brings up a good point. A ballast box only does one thing. I use a box blade with about 400 lbs of suitcase weights. The weights can be added or removed depending on what I'm doing. With the BB, it totals around 850. (Smaller tractor)

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
not sure but I have some steep hills on my property and there are cases with my skidsteer that I will back up the hill for safety reasons. My kabuto B7800 seems far more stable for the hills. But want to here from others.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It's always 'fun' to learn how your new tractor operates !!, glad you're safe and shed is fine.....
you should find out how much beet juice is in the tires for 'weight',sounds like not enough.
If you ALWAYS need ballast then a dedicated ballast box may be the best solution but that means you're ONLY using tractor as a 'front end loader', no 3PH or PTO operations.

I prefer a 'carryall' to a dedicated 'ballast box' for several reasons
1) carryall is a LOT easier to connect/disconnect
2) by using several skids of weight, you can tailor the 'ballast' for the job
3) cheap to have boxes ,top of hill, btm of hill, in the woods, etc.
4) carryall has LOTS of uses,haul wood, IBC totes, tools,tires, stones, etc.
5) economical...

I made my carryall 20 years ago, using forklift forks. Easy to get on, backup to a skid with box of weight in it, lift up 'skid of ballast' and off to work. when done, easily drop(er , place) skid down, unhook carryall.
The 'trick' with skids is to 'double skid' them. Lower one the ground,rain and bugs will consume,Upper one keeps clean and dry and easier to slide under.

options, always look for options, pick the one best suited for YOUR needs
3 pt hitch forks....... with pallets.
Not expensive, and very adaptable/versatile!

Reactions: 1 users

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
My MX5100 does not have tire ballast. I lift a lot of big logs, so I needed to get something. I bought the Amazon box after pricing the Bobcat box and not being able to find an LP box. The dealer I bought my machine from said LP quit making them. I filled the china box with sakrete and it only held 660lbs. Not enough to offset the logs I was lifting. My buddy had a cast iron block with 3pt, so I bought that. He claimed it was 2klb. It works great and I can lift big logs no problem, but it’s a pia to hook up. Most of the time I use my carryall filled with wood, because it’s easier and saves time.
If I had joined this site and sought advice I’m sure I’d have saved money by not getting the china box. The Kubota dealer told me most folks just hook up a heavy attachment. I also found some LP ballast boxes at a dealership but they were spendy for an empty box that matches my tractor. Good Luck

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
The beet juice is helpful but I don’t believe it is a substitute for ballast. I have the BH 92 for the dry season and a ballast box for all other times. I like how close the box is so I can maneuver, but I sacrifice some capacity being that close. The important thing to remember is always have ballast if you have the loader on.

Get a QH and you can swap implements at ease.

check 6

Equipment
BX 2680 FEL and pallet forks aerator ZD1211, RTV500
Apr 8, 2019
Seguin, Texas
I’m back downsized to a BX from a grand L and I always want rear ballast but as others have said a ballast box does but one thing and in the case of the BX the height of the Kubota ballast box means I have to raise the three point almost all the way to get good ground clearance so it only stays on when I’m lifting near max weight with the forks otherwise I keep a Box blade on the rear and add or subtract suitcase weights as needed. Of note I have six bags of concrete in the ballast box so totally about 500 lbs including weight of the steel box
PS the only reason I spent the extra for the Kubota ballast box is it’s the only one that will work on their quick hitch

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Thanks all for advice and tips. I did order a 3 pt Cat 2 Homestead Pinnacle receiver hitch with multiple hitch points. It has lateral receiver hitches as well that would accept square tubing for a DIY carry all or forks. I'm finding that there are countless attachment/implement combinations. I'd better win the lottery soon. Thanks again...

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
good luck! a lot of good suggestions. I use a ballast box when I'm working in the woods (about 750lbs). Otherwise I usually leave an implement on - mostly a boxblade,

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It seems whatever is on the back of my tractor, it's the WRONG one for the job I have to do......
must be a Mr. Murphy thing ????
Finally learned to leave the tractor 'bare', as I can get anything on and into the field in 60 seconds or less.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Yup ballast is your best friend when moving or lifting heavy things with your tractor. The filled tires help but aren’t a substitute that’s for sure. Several ideas on home built ones to save ya a few bucks. No clue in how much weight but I’m sure some mathematical equations are around. Quick hitch would also add some weight to the ballast box if you use one. Personally I don’t find it difficult to swap implements and I don’t do it daily. Plus if I gotta get out to still lock the two top lock handles then I might as well just put in the two 3ph arms and pins.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Personally I don’t find it difficult to swap implements and I don’t do it daily. Plus if I gotta get out to still lock the two top lock handles then I might as well just put in the two 3ph arms and pins.
Not sure about your QH, but mine I leave the handles down (until removing), they latch (and lock) onto said attachment automatically.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I don’t use one. I guess it’s getting off to unlock them then not lock them. My bad.

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
The size logs I like to move around.
IMG_2763.jpeg

Got a counterweight off one of these to keep the rears pinned down.
IMG_2765.jpeg

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Good read here:

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I agree with @Kennyd4110. When plowing snow, using my ballast box, instead of my box blade, makes working around buildings, vehicles, and other objects much easier. Yes it's a one trick pony, but nothing beats it for rear ballast when working in close quarters.