Recs on ballast

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Ballast or no ballast, it is exactly as you learned. And you lived to talk about it:

More importantly: Lifting anything of serious weight with the loader, as in the OP's situation: And I quote the OP: " Tractor facing downhill and slight lean to the left side. " Is a situation for disaster if not very carefully done.

Please remember, your conventional tractor center of gravity is like a tricycle. The two rear tires and the front axle pivot is the tricycle. Facing uphill, flat terrain, you're usually good to go. Facing downhill, it's very dicey. Facing downhill with a slope or lean to either side, is Flip Over realm.

Imagine hanging your kids school backpack on the outer edge of the handlebars of his/her tricycle. It flips over, every time.

Glad you're OK. Thanks for the post. Folks need to learn and live.

Reactions: 1 users

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Ballast or no ballast, it is exactly as you learned. And you lived to talk about it:

More importantly: Lifting anything of serious weight with the loader, as in the OP's situation: And I quote the OP: " Tractor facing downhill and slight lean to the left side. " Is a situation for disaster if not very carefully done.

Please remember, your conventional tractor center of gravity is like a tricycle. The two rear tires and the front axle pivot is the tricycle. Facing uphill, flat terrain, you're usually good to go. Facing downhill, it's very dicey. Facing downhill with a slope or lean to either side, is Flip Over realm.

Imagine hanging your kids school backpack on the outer edge of the handlebars of his/her tricycle. It flips over, every time.

Glad you're OK. Thanks for the post. Folks need to learn and live.
Thanks for the thoughtful words. The tricycle analogy makes your point crystal clear.. I got comfortable with my first tractor (Bx25). The L6060 is a different beast and I have much to learn. I do have a cab and wear my seat belt EVERY time I move it.

This forum is a wealth of information and I appreciate the constructive criticism provided. I am grateful to all. Best....

Reactions: 2 users

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Ballast box is only a one trick pony if built that way. Sky is the limit if your creativity is pumping.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Thanks for the thoughtful words. The tricycle analogy makes your point crystal clear.. I got comfortable with my first tractor (Bx25). The L6060 is a different beast and I have much to learn. I do have a cab and wear my seat belt EVERY time I move it.

This forum is a wealth of information and I appreciate the constructive criticism provided. I am grateful to all. Best....
You obviously have some serious skills. Whether you realize them or not. Experienced or not. Because you pulled it off in a downhill and off-camber situation. My hats off to you.

I wasn't criticizing. But just stating that your issue was 'downhill and leaning'. Ballast is as important but secondary in your situation.

Merry Christmas.

Love your tractor, by the way. L6060 with Cab and snowblower!! Straight up, Awesome!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Good morning all. Had a bit of a "oh crap" moment a few days back and need some advice please, Have 10 hours on new L6060 ( beet juice filled tires). Took delivery of a shed kit and helped the driver lift a load of lumber (about 900lbs) that was on top of my order with my pallet forks. Tractor facing downhill and slight lean to the left side. I grabbed in center of bundle but right wheels of tractor lifted when I raised forks. Changed my underwear and then grabbed lumber left of center without further incident. I understand initial left lean was part of issue ( as well as this size tractor being new to me). Thinking 3 pt ballast box or equivalent might be helpful. So question is 1) how much weight to use and 2) will the ballast cause me to tip backwards when I go up my steep, long driveway (14% grade at some points) if I don't have weight in front end loader? Perhaps I need to use 2 ballast boxes ( 1 kept on hill top and one stored at bottom? Thanks all and Merry Christmas

Caveat: Have not read previous posts because no need to do so.

Solution: Get a ballast box filled with suitable ballast. Does not interfere much with maneuverability and MUCH more effective than liquid ballast.

Of course, one can add too much weight behind the rear axle so as to cause issues when climbing steep inclines when traveling forward. Simply lower the lift if such situations occur..

Yes, I have an L6060 and do the same, myself.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
But it does it very well, and it's very compact.
That's true, it does. Just offering a different perspective for the OP not knowing his terrain or crowding of the property. Thought about it myself, but manage quite well as is. Even in my heavily wooded property.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good morning all. Had a bit of a "oh crap" moment a few days back and need some advice please, Have 10 hours on new L6060 ( beet juice filled tires). Took delivery of a shed kit and helped the driver lift a load of lumber (about 900lbs) that was on top of my order with my pallet forks. Tractor facing downhill and slight lean to the left side. I grabbed in center of bundle but right wheels of tractor lifted when I raised forks. Changed my underwear and then grabbed lumber left of center without further incident. I understand initial left lean was part of issue ( as well as this size tractor being new to me). Thinking 3 pt ballast box or equivalent might be helpful. So question is 1) how much weight to use and 2) will the ballast cause me to tip backwards when I go up my steep, long driveway (14% grade at some points) if I don't have weight in front end loader? Perhaps I need to use 2 ballast boxes ( 1 kept on hill top and one stored at bottom? Thanks all and Merry Christmas

Welcome and congratulations on the new machine. That’s a very nice machine. I narrowed it down to the L6060 and the MX a few years back. Rest assured you are not the only one to wrinkle the seat on the tractor😉. I think looking into your options for ballast is good idea. Maybe search the old threads and you get a lot of good ideas. In addition to just the ballast…I’d recommend if not familiar with center pivot axle, maybe consider looking into those and practice dropping your loader for in case of an emergency…for me it took a little practice to: 1. Be thinking about the fail ready to react to that as I pick up heavy loads on something with a center pivot axle. 2. It did not come natural to me to be shove the loader hard enough to drop the loader. Holes / soft spots can show up a day after you were just there…if your tire drops in a hole and you are carry a load, the center pivot axle may not be your friend. Ballast and response to drop the loader may be helpful. As slow as possible and as fast as necessary. Share some pics of that orange beast. ☕

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Thanks Northwoods. Merry Christmas to you and yours a well. Coincidentalky, North Woods is the name of my business (LLC).

Wisconsin is a beautiful state. Vacationed there (Door County) when I went to school in Chicago. Reminded me of New England seacoast.

Thanks again for the great advice. Enjoy the holidays,

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
That's true, it does. Just offering a different perspective for the OP not knowing his terrain or crowding of the property. Thought about it myself, but manage quite well as is. Even in my heavily wooded property.
Thanks guys. Terrain is fully wooded except for driveway with steep inclines. Not much room to maneuver yet but will be starting to clear future homesite at top of hill once ground freezes solid. Still too many days above freezing... muddy mess. Merry Xmas!

North Texas Rich

Equipment
L2501
Sep 11, 2022
Near Dallas
We have a WB10 filled with rectangular cut stone blocks. It’s packed well. I can unpack it if for some reason we need to. I didnt wan to have a box of concrete I couldnt get rid of on the property. We DO NOT have the tires filled since I didnt want the extra weight with its not required and if it leaked I didn't want the filler to end up contaminating the pond if thats where the incident occurred.

The weight box does not compensate for lifting on an angle. I have had the right rear tire lift when the pallet wasn't on flat ground when being lifted.

I generally have the weight box on when I dont have the mower deck on. My combo is usually Weight Box + Pallet forks or Bucket + Mower deck. If the ground is soft and Im not picking up a heavy load I’ll take the weight box off. It it easy to do with the Quick Hitch. If Im working with the Bucket the weight box is on.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
FYI, Here is a copy of liquid ballast weights from Messick's Ballast.

On my 4760 I have rear tires loaded, 200lbs of wheel weights per side and set my rear tires to the widest configuration. That gives my good stability and traction. When I use my grapple I add a Kubota L8170 ballast box loaded with #5 gravel (close to 1k lbs). Without ballast box hydraulics can lift rear end of tractor. With ballast box rear end stays planted.
Still have to be careful on side hills and down hills.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I modified my ballast box to a kind of a "carry all", and loaded it with a flywheel, brake rotors and other assorted steel parts, then used concrete to fill it.

I have no idea what it weighs, but i'm guessing it's at the 900 lbs. area.

1000001682.jpeg

However this has become my most used and versatile form of ballast.

It is on 95% of the time.

1000000123.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
For heavy lifts I use my approx 2,000lbs backhoe for counter balance. I have some ~800lb implements for the 3PH but they aren't enough ballast for my machine.

My suggestions are to keep your 4WD on and the load low to the ground. Don't make downhill picks/lifts. Don't back up hills while loaded.

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Welcome and congratulations on the new machine. That’s a very nice machine. I narrowed it down to the L6060 and the MX a few years back. Rest assured you are not the only one to wrinkle the seat on the tractor😉. I think looking into your options for ballast is good idea. Maybe search the old threads and you get a lot of good ideas. In addition to just the ballast…I’d recommend if not familiar with center pivot axle, maybe consider looking into those and practice dropping your loader for in case of an emergency…for me it took a little practice to: 1. Be thinking about the fail ready to react to that as I pick up heavy loads on something with a center pivot axle. 2. It did not come natural to me to be shove the loader hard enough to drop the loader. Holes / soft spots can show up a day after you were just there…if your tire drops in a hole and you are carry a load, the center pivot axle may not be your friend. Ballast and response to drop the loader may be helpful. As slow as possible and as fast as necessary. Share some pics of that orange beast. ☕

Thanks RC. Yes on the being prepared to drop load. Learned that on my BX and that was what I did to stabilize situation. Was just surprised that it happened. I had grabbed load in center. Given leftward tilt of hill, I re-grabbed load left of center to shift weight to right and that did the trick. Thanks to all the advice here, ordered a Homestead Pinnacle cat 2 receiver hitch that I'll DIY a carry all on with ability to add weight for ballast. Small steps at a time as I figure things out.

Thanks again, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
I modified my ballast box to a kind of a "carry all", and loaded it with a flywheel, brake rotors and other assorted steel parts, then used concrete to fill it.

View attachment 118835

View attachment 118836
Thanks Runs... I like the shelter and concrete floor. Don't have that on my lot yet. Is that versatube? We are clearing this winter in anticipation of building an equipment shed this coming year. Quickly ran put of room in 14x24 barn/shed. My new rule is estimate space needed, then multiply by 2.

Best..

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks RC. Yes on the being prepared to drop load. Learned that on my BX and that was what I did to stabilize situation. Was just surprised that it happened. I had grabbed load in center. Given leftward tilt of hill, I re-grabbed load left of center to shift weight to right and that did the trick. Thanks to all the advice here, ordered a Homestead Pinnacle cat 2 receiver hitch that I'll DIY a carry all on with ability to add weight for ballast. Small steps at a time as I figure things out.

Thanks again, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.
I did something similar when MX was first new…I had been waiting for the BH to come in and finally took delivery of the tractor without it and we split the order since there was a wait period to get the BH (about 6 months a few yrs ago) since waiting dealer asked me to wait with filling tires since they would be taking off to put the sub frame on for th backho when it came in…well the tractor was helpless if using the loader without filled tires or anything. I had my hands full just hoisting the brush cutter off the trailer. Same thing…about same time I dropped the loader, the vinyl seat was wrinkled…after that I asked for some wheel weights to hold me over until the BH came and I could get the tires filled. I ended up keeping the wheel weights on with the filled tires. Makes a world of difference for light loader use. I still use ballast off the back if I am lifting anything heavy. Happy holidays. 🥃

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thanks Runs... I like the shelter and concrete floor. Don't have that on my lot yet. Is that versatube? We are clearing this winter in anticipation of building an equipment shed this coming year. Quickly ran put of room in 14x24 barn/shed. My new rule is estimate space needed, then multiply by 2.

Best..
I have often wondered that myself. I have no idea what brand the building is, it was already here when we bought the place. I have "lightly looked" for some markings, but haven't found any yet.

Although I realize "budget is king", your multiplier should be 3 or 4 ....hahahahha

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
FYI, Here is a copy of liquid ballast weights from Messick's Ballast.

On my 4760 I have rear tires loaded, 200lbs of wheel weights per side and set my rear tires to the widest configuration. That gives my good stability and traction. When I use my grapple I add a Kubota L8170 ballast box loaded with #5 gravel (close to 1k lbs). Without ballast box hydraulics can lift rear end of tractor. With ballast box rear end stays planted.
Still have to be careful on side hills and down hills.
Thanks for the Messick's table. Much appreciated. My tires are 17.5 x24 so about 900lbs for the pair of loaded tires. Loader/ forks lift about 2000 lbs. So for balance, if I am understanding everyone's advice properly, I need to add about 800-1100 lbs of rear ballast if filling loader/forks to capacity.

This forum and Messicks videos are a huge help. Thanks to all

Best...

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 118835

View attachment 118836
THAT is the very "best" ballast ever! :)