Recommended thread sealer for hydraulic application

machinedog39

Lifetime Member
Jan 30, 2020
Anchorage, AK
Recommendations for thread sealer for a jack hose (10,000) 3/8 NPT . fittings . Supply is electric hydraulic pump to a hose crimper.

thanks

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I use loctite 567. You have to be cafeful with tape as pieces could come off inside.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Rectorseal #5 for all types of threads, NPT, USS, SAE, Metric, British, Indian, Chinese Rockets, Mars, Juniper and the Moon!

Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Second ptfe paste or tape. If you know how to properly wrap the tape it is safe. The tape is most dangerous at removal. Kubota uses ptfe tape on numerous factory kits/fittings.(NPT only)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Permatex #2 (non-hardening)…. Many years of successful use on hydraulic, steam, gasoline, kerosene hoses and connectionsl

Reactions: 2 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Paste, not tape. TEFLON tape has wrecked more than one pump. It's very convenient and not messy at all, but as many have already pointed out, shreds can enter the system and end up in places where it should not be. Not so much on the first application if done right (1st thread exposed), but if that hose is ever removed and replaced, that is when the shreds will typically get into the hydraulics circuit. Most Kubotas have the filter on the suction side of the pump, so there's little danger of it getting in the pump, but, it can lodge in a valve quite easily which will make the valve malfunction by not sealing properly. In applications where the lines and valves are large, not so much a problem. Hydraulic systems have a lot of tiny places that are easily stopped up with tiny particles.

Paste just pushes on through. As others pointed out, non-hardening paste is best.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Paste, not tape. TEFLON tape has wrecked more than one pump. It's very convenient and not messy at all, but as many have already pointed out, shreds can enter the system and end up in places where it should not be. Not so much on the first application if done right (1st thread exposed), but if that hose is ever removed and replaced, that is when the shreds will typically get into the hydraulics circuit. Most Kubotas have the filter on the suction side of the pump, so there's little danger of it getting in the pump, but, it can lodge in a valve quite easily which will make the valve malfunction by not sealing properly. In applications where the lines and valves are large, not so much a problem. Hydraulic systems have a lot of tiny places that are easily stopped up with tiny particles.

Paste just pushes on through. As others pointed out, non-hardening paste is best.
As has been pointed out PTFE tape is used by Kubota dealers when installing hydraulic kits. My dealer installed LA525 loader is installed with tape.

Tape has also been widely used by professionals in the hydraulic industry on millions of connections. If you exercise care and keep the wrap 1-2 threads back of the tip of the fitting it poses no hazard to any hydraulic component. PTFE paste contains tiny shreds of PTFE and in that regard is no safer than tape.

I hate non-hardening paste as its the mess that just keeps on giving. Thats why I use tape.

In fact I hate NPT connections in general and eliminate them if at all possible. They are a horrible choice for hydraulics.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As has been pointed out PTFE tape is used by Kubota dealers when installing hydraulic kits. My dealer installed LA525 loader is installed with tape.
Just because a dealer does it, does not make it right!
Plenty of dealers and dealer mechanics do dumb things all the time.

I use Rectorseal Tru-Blu pipe thread sealant.

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Just because a dealer does it, does not make it right!
Plenty of dealers and dealer mechanics due dumb things all the time.

I use Rectorseal Tru-Blu pipe thread sealant.
So all the Kubota equipment you have, none had factory (not dealer)installed fittings with tape? That is shocking to me because they use it commonly throughout from what I have bought, and come across over the years. Paste has its place, and may be more user friendly, but I still wouldn’t want it floating around the system. A loader hydraulics is 90% complete on the pallet. Dealer only makes final connections.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So all the Kubota equipment you have, none had factory (not dealer)installed fittings with tape? That is shocking to me because they use it commonly throughout from what I have bought, and come across over the years. Paste has its place, and may be more user friendly, but I still wouldn’t want it floating around the system.
Nope not a single bit of PTFE tape on any of mine!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Teflon tape is PROHIBITED for use in aircraft fuel systems for the very reason particles can migrate through the system and create failures.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Teflon tape is PROHIBITED for use in aircraft fuel systems for the very reason particles can migrate through the system and create failures.
JIC fittings are also PROHIBITED in military aircraft and aerospace hydraulic systems but are perfectly fine for use in non-aircraft systems.

Aircraft servicing regulations are designed for things that fly and tractors dont fly.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
JIC fittings are also PROHIBITED in military aircraft and aerospace hydraulic systems but are perfectly fine for use in non-aircraft systems.

Aircraft servicing regulations are designed for things that fly and tractors dont fly.

Dan
The principles are the same….Teflon Tape will shred and send particles where they don’t belong.
True..if the airplane fails due to the sorry stuff it can be a disaster….and a tractor is only stuck out in the field somewhere.

But if a tractor-owner is happy with failures in the field and expensive, troublesome repairs….the risk is the same with Teflon Tape. Use the cheap stuff if you want that risk…. or use a good, non-hardening pipe-sealant if you want to be done with it.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The principles are the same….Teflon Tape will shred and send particles where they don’t belong.
True..if the airplane fails due to the sorry stuff it can be a disaster….and a tractor is only stuck out in the field somewhere.

But if a tractor-owner is happy with failures in the field and expensive, troublesome repairs….the risk is the same with Teflon Tape.
Teflon tape is one of if not the most used pipe thread sealants in the hydraulic service industry. Kubota workshop manuals even specify its use. If properly applied it poses no risk to a tractor hydraulic system.

Here is what Parker has to say on the use of thread sealants in general and tape in particular. Notice their concerns about contamination includes all sealants not just tape:

Proper tapered thread port assembly and installation steps:
Step 1: Inspect the components.
To ensure a proper connection, the male and female port threads must be free of burrs, nicks, scratches, or foreign material.

Step 2: Apply the appropriate sealant to the male pipe threads.
This sealant can also act as a lubricant which is especially important with stainless steel threads because of the potential for galling. To avoid system contamination, leave the first one or two threads from the end of the fitting free of sealants. If you chose to use PTFE tape, be sure to wrap it correctly - 1-1/2 to 2 turns in a clockwise direction when viewed from the tapered thread end.

Dan

Last edited:

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Every single NPT fitting on my machine came with tape sealed joints. I saw my tractor and loader on the crate/skid. There are even some on the three point that are painted over from factory. I know because I removed them when I installed my draft control kit. Guess Kubota needs to rethink selling tractors, because they are going to have a bunch of failures on their hands... Or, the hydraulic suction filter does its job and catches trash. Have you seen the first service magnet on those babies! Now that is some trash...

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s interesting to me that tractor owners will come to these forums and argue to the end-of-the-world about the importance of using the highest-quality synthetic oil instead of conventional … and even take the argument to the point of arguing which BRAND of synthetic oil…and which Viscosity… ad nauseum…. but then settle for a cheap and questionable pipe-thread sealant like teflon tape that of a KNOWN lesser-quality than what is acceptable in more critical service.

The same guys that criticize the short-cuts taken by Kubota on other matters such as poor quality-control and low front-axle fluids, etc…. then APPROVE the Kubota use of cheap (labor-saving) teflon tape that does not meet the highest of engineering standards.

You can’t have it both ways…. if you want the BEST when you do your own oil-change…then don’t settle for less just because the factory used a cheap, labor-saving short-cut when you have the time available to properly apply a good sealant. And it’s not like a huge cost differential…. :rolleyes:

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I save all my money I can, where I can. I do use Kubota fluids/filters, my shop is full of them. I would say the HST argument wins over for me with the transmission. Whether you like it or not, Kubota uses Teflon tape, plain and simple. To dog on someone for using what the manufacturer does is kind of silly. Now if you have a better product, great, there are always more expensive ones out there. Lets keep the planes in the air, and the tractor on the ground though. I think the point that many leave off is why exactly a product choice is actually better or not. Baseline is what was used already by the oem, since they did all the r&d. Rightly so, anyone should be cautious about deviating without knowing major risk factors. Possibly they saw a field study that more NPT fittings were over tightened by using a pipe dope. Or maybe cost on the bean counter desk won it over.

Maybe I am a hard sell, but to explain my machines impending failure of assumed horrible thread wrapping is kind of degrading. Is it the product that you don't like, or is it the meticulous nature of the technique required for success? I haven't seen numbers by anyone, on how their product is functionally better. Only the substantiation of expected errors on how to apply. I absolutely think it takes more labor to apply thread tape, especially on cleanup. Not that you probably care, but I actually take some pride in wrapping freshly cleaned fittings. What I don't like is sticky, messy thread compound that separates out, and never gets used before either the package disintegrates, or the product goes bad. My frugal self gets really mad when any amount of product spoils, or packaging ruins before use.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Recommendations for thread sealer for a jack hose (10,000) 3/8 NPT . fittings . Supply is electric hydraulic pump to a hose crimper.

thanks
Dear Abby, Dear Abby.

dearabby.jpg

A mundane question about thread sealant for a pipe fitting on the cylinder of a hydraulic hose crimper and we are now talking about synthetic engine oil, aircraft maintenance, ignorant Kubota techs, ruined tractors, nefarious corporate cost cutters, and state of the art chemical engineering. The value of Internet forums for getting answers to simple real life questions really can't be understated.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users