Rear fender electric plug limitations

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Im trying to get some solid information on the limitations of what you can run from the extra electrical plug under the left rear fender of my L2501. Ive been looking at lights for my rops, and just trying to determine where the limit is. I put my multi meter in it the other day just for the heck of it, to make sure it was actually live, and measured a solid 12v+ on it. Every time I read about folks putting lights on their rops, they are adding switches and wiring them in at other places and its a much bigger job than I really want to get into. I will only use this light sparingly. Id like a simple installation of plugging directly into that available plug. Ive tried to research this little plug under the fender to find out what its real purpose is, what its capable of, etc etc, but just cant find any comprehensive information on it. Wondering if anyone can tell me about it, what its typically used for, what its good for, what its limitations are in terms of power, etc.

To anyone reading this and not understanding what Im talking about - there is a little eletrical plug under the left rear fender of the tractor that is just taped back against the wire, directly under the blinker. Its clearly meant as some kind of accessory hook up location. Id like to just know how I can utilize it.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Im trying to get some solid information on the limitations of what you can run from the extra electrical plug under the left rear fender of my L2501. Ive been looking at lights for my rops, and just trying to determine where the limit is. I put my multi meter in it the other day just for the heck of it, to make sure it was actually live, and measured a solid 12v+ on it. Every time I read about folks putting lights on their rops, they are adding switches and wiring them in at other places and its a much bigger job than I really want to get into. I will only use this light sparingly. Id like a simple installation of plugging directly into that available plug. Ive tried to research this little plug under the fender to find out what its real purpose is, what its capable of, etc etc, but just cant find any comprehensive information on it. Wondering if anyone can tell me about it, what its typically used for, what its good for, what its limitations are in terms of power, etc.

To anyone reading this and not understanding what Im talking about - there is a little eletrical plug under the left rear fender of the tractor that is just taped back against the wire, directly under the blinker. Its clearly meant as some kind of accessory hook up location. Id like to just know how I can utilize it.
Those are meant for work lights that are available as an option from Kubota. You can wire your own just know that it is always on. That is why most people will install a switch so they can turn it on and off. Many people also want the switch mounted int he dash too rather than inline. Also if you want to make sure you are not maxing out the circuit and the fuse, as there are other lights on it already, you can run a new circuit and tap everything in to that. There are lots of threads on here about that as well

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Those are meant for work lights that are available as an option from Kubota.
You can wire your own just know that it is always on. That is why most people will install a switch so they can turn it on and off.
Thats what I suspected it was for. Any idea on what the limitation would be on that line? How much wattage could you put on it? If I could install a switch after that plug I might would do that, that would be simple enough. A switch that I could maybe just mount right near the lights themselves on the rops somewhere. Id want to keep the install as simple and basic as possible. Id personally rather not get into modifying the existing wiring in the tractor.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I would be careful. I do not have a L2501 WSM but the L3301 shows a connector for the computer system to connect and monitor it.

White and Yellow wires.

Dave

Attachments

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I would be careful. I do not have a L2501 WSM but the L3301 shows a connector for the computer system to connect and monitor it.

White and Yellow wires.

Dave
why would this mean I need to be careful? Im not a mechanic so I legitimately dont know what the concern there would be. Happy to be informed :)

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Thats what I suspected it was for. Any idea on what the limitation would be on that line? How much wattage could you put on it? If I could install a switch after that plug I might would do that, that would be simple enough. A switch that I could maybe just mount right near the lights themselves on the rops somewhere. Id want to keep the install as simple and basic as possible. Id personally rather not get into modifying the existing wiring in the tractor.
You could do an inline switch, like a push button, and mount it with double sided tape to the ROPS. Don't drill or weld items on to your ROPS as it will void the ROPS certifications and basically kills the resale value of your tractor.
One thing to watch out with that kind of install though is you dont forget to turn them off, as they will drain the battery.

In terms of watts, you need to look at the Amps, so if you take your chosen lights watts and divide by 12 (12V DC) you get your amps. The L2501 has a 10A fuse for "Work Light" shown in the owners manual. Verify yours to be 100% sure.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
To answer how much (amps) you can run on that yellow wire, 10 amps.
And yes the black in the plug is ground.

It's direct feed from the fuse panel with nothing else on the circuit.

So a lot of LED's ! :D

Go to Kubotabooks.com and download the WSM, it has the full easy to read wiring schematics in it. ;)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
why would this mean I need to be careful? Im not a mechanic so I legitimately dont know what the concern there would be. Happy to be informed :)
Accepting that your tractor has no computer then my comments are meaningless.

In another thread on another forum a Kubota owner asked the same sort of question. He was assured it was a connector for an optional work light.

In his case the second photo is the clue as to why it is not such a connector.
Both wires the same color + the use of a jumper to connect the two terminals.

Turns out it was a jumped seat switch.

When NIW gives you an answer it is the one to follow.

Dave

Attachments

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Ok very good info guys thanks. So according to the info here I should not exceed 120 watts in lights, correct? To be safe I would assume to not push that threshold either, perhaps 100 watts maximum.

Biltit

May 29, 2018
SK
Yes that is correct, if using leds you should be well under the max.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Ok very good info guys thanks. So according to the info here I should not exceed 120 watts in lights, correct? To be safe I would assume to not push that threshold either, perhaps 100 watts maximum.
correct in that the L2501 aux. light circuit is fused at 10amps but to be safe it is gen. rec. that you run at 80% or less so < 100 watts max.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
correct in that the L2501 aux. light circuit is fused at 10amps but to be safe it is gen. rec. that you run at 80% or less so < 100 watts max.
Good enough for what I want to do. I want 2 lights. One facing forward, one backwards. Not looking for anything crazy bright, just some additional flood lights to navigate at night. I rarely use the tractor at night, but the few times I did, I made it ok with the front lights but they are largely blocked by my front implement. Backing into my garage I turned on the blinker and that is enough light to see to back up. I will likely just get 2x 20-40 watt led floods. Ill keep it under 80W I think, with an in line switch mounted on the rops somewhere. I want something that could be easily removed. Im assuming ill need to cut the plug off to get to the bare wires. From what Ive seen that isnt a standard plug for all the lights im looking at.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Good enough for what I want to do. I want 2 lights. One facing forward, one backwards. Not looking for anything crazy bright, just some additional flood lights to navigate at night. I rarely use the tractor at night, but the few times I did, I made it ok with the front lights but they are largely blocked by my front implement. Backing into my garage I turned on the blinker and that is enough light to see to back up. I will likely just get 2x 20-40 watt led floods. Ill keep it under 80W I think, with an in line switch mounted on the rops somewhere. I want something that could be easily removed. Im assuming ill need to cut the plug off to get to the bare wires. From what Ive seen that isnt a standard plug for all the lights im looking at.
Whatever you do make sure it is water/mud proof so that you dont have any issues later on. You could get the proper connector from your dealer or just dig around online a little most electrical stuff is pretty standard. Just a matter of finding the right one

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I don’t think you will find a “standard” plug on any of the led lights. From what I recall seeing pics of the work light connectors on kubota was just bullet connectors? I went a different route with mine.

One thing I will advise from my experience (not sure of your location), I mounted two forward facing lights on my ROPS and here in the south that was a huge mistake! While they offer good light they also attract bugs like crazy! I often mow past dark during the summer and I can’t run the ROPS lights.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Do you have a Freightliner/Western Star truck dealer around you? They carry these TRUX brand LED lights.

I just got these tiny 2 inch cube lights for backup lights on my dump truck due to space limitations I have at the rear with all the other equipment.

They are incredible. These two little cube lights throw enough light that when my 24 inch 120W light bar ever fails on my B2620.....I'm just going to use these next time. They throw enough width and distance that they are all you ever need on a tractor. And small enough to mount anywhere.
And they only draw .87 amps. And they were only 20 dollars each in worthless Canadian money! LOL.

Attachments

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Even the old Kubotas have accessory wiring at the left fender. I like to mount the switch on the fender, because I can still access it from the seat, but this time of year it can be nice to be able to access it from the ground for more light when switching implements in the last afternoon. The old Kubotas also have predrilled holes on the fender for the switch and the light.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Do you have a Freightliner/Western Star truck dealer around you? They carry these TRUX brand LED lights.

I just got these tiny 2 inch cube lights for backup lights on my dump truck due to space limitations I have at the rear with all the other equipment.

They are incredible. These two little cube lights throw enough light that when my 24 inch 120W light bar ever fails on my B2620.....I'm just going to use these next time. They throw enough width and distance that they are all you ever need on a tractor. And small enough to mount anywhere.
And they only draw .87 amps. And they were only 20 dollars each in worthless Canadian money! LOL.
Thanks for the suggestion. I saw they had a website in your pictures on one ofthe packages and found this link showing all their light options:

https://truxaccessories.com/led-work-lamps

EDIT: They sell their products on Amazon as well... https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/...Trux Accessories&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_19548463011

Last edited: