Rear blade advice

benny123

Equipment
L2502
Oct 21, 2023
Oh
Hi all. Just purchased an l2502. I have in my possession an old john deere 8 foot rear blade. I don't know what it weighs and no way of weighing it. My estimate is "really heavy" lol. I'm assuming it's too heavy for my new tractor.
Was wondering if it could damage the hydraulic system void warranty etc. I would imagine a 7 footer would be a better option. This would mostly be used for snow removal, which where I live can vary greatly from year to year. Last year I didn't plow once, for instance. Previously used an old Massey 35. Thanks in advance

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Probably a 5 footer would be more suitable for your machine if you plan to cut and move a lot of dirt. If you are just touch up grading your driveway then your 8 footer will probably be ok.

If it's too heavy you will be trying to pull a boat anchor.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Your machine will pick it up I would bet according to this :

1697898221988.png

It might be a monster to use however! As Mike said - really depends on what you plan on doing with it?

Reactions: 2 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I believe (and I think you do too) that an 8' blade is too much for that tractor (if it is to be used to its full potential). If it were me....I'd be looking to trade it for a 5 footer or have it cut down.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I run a 7 ft on my L2501, and it works fine. 8 ft would be better when you angle to push the snow off the road. You can decrease how much you dig in on snow or dirt by changing the angle that the blade engages.

People here mentioned it so I tried reversing the blade for snow. It worked really well.

Relatively speaking, a Rear Blade is light compared to a 6 ft grader scraper or 6 ft rotary cutter which my L2501 uses.

Reactions: 4 users

benny123

Equipment
L2502
Oct 21, 2023
Oh
Thanks for all the replies. The only thing I will use for right now is snow removal.
I guess I will try it and see how it works was just worried it would be too much on the hydraulic system

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Put it on the tractor and try it. Worse case the 3-PH won't lift it. Probably quite long too. In snow the blade might drive the tractor and push it around.

Don't know the width of your tractor, but when angled an 8 footer will definitely still cover your tire tracks.

I have a light-duty 5 footer for my little BX, and when angled at 45 degrees just covers the tractor's width.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Cut off 6 inches on both sides if it’s too big. Being bigger will help with ballast when using the loader. But if it struggles lifting, cut off the ends. Just picked up a 6 foot blade so it will work with my 3 point quick attach. My 5 footer was too narrow to hook up to the quick attach. being heavier, won’t need to use my ballast box when using the loader. Plan on putting some snow in the bucket to help even out the weight.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. In my mind, you have nothing to lose to try it. Is it cat 1? Either way, id bet it has some value…look on one of machinerey sites and see what it lists for there. Maybe also see if can figure out the model number and find an actual weight…may not be as heavy as you think and well within your tractor capability…its worth a couple clicks to check. You can decide you want keep or sell. If not worth much or you are not set on keeping it original, you could always modify to lighten it up if that even necessary for your tasks…to me it’s probably some awesome ballast…maybe a little wide. Or make something else out of it like a log skidder of sorts or something…I think you have some options. I don’t think there is really much to hurt to try it. Worst case buy another tractor to run the blade. 🤪

Last edited:

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
keep in mind if yer gonna be plowin snow with it m ya may need chains . If yer gonna need chains some of these orange tractors will need wheel spacers in order to use chains .If yer gonna need spacers then yer gonna want the blade long enough that it is still wider than the back wheels when the blade is angled .
animals45

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd avoid reversing that big blade and pushing backwards. Great way to bend stuff on your little tractor if you catch something on the corner of the blade. Leverage will work against you.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'd avoid reversing that big blade and pushing backwards. Great way to bend stuff on your little tractor if you catch something on the corner of the blade. Leverage will work against you.
You can damage a tractor with any length blade.

I think the better advice is don’t get going really fast because it’s possible to hit objects under the snow. In practice, homeowners usually know where objects are near their driveways

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I think that jimh406 meant for you to reverse the blade, and go forwards. In this way, you are still diverting snow to the side as you plow without any “bite” into your surface. I think that the hydraulics will handle the weight of the blade fine, but only one way to know for sure.

Jack

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
To the original question: If the blade is too big for the hydraulics or too big for the tractor to pull and control adequately, it just won’t work well; it won’t damage anything on the tractor.

Plowing snow at high speed you might could damage the tractor but going with a smaller blade does very little to reduce any risk associated with high speed plowing.

Reactions: 1 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I like them to be small enough to rotate all the way around without having to take them off and then reattach them.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I like them to be small enough to rotate all the way around without having to take them off and then reattach them.
I don't think width is the reason some can't rotate. It depends on the relative length of the mount from the 3 pt. My 7 ft can rotate, for instance.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I don't think width is the reason some can't rotate. It depends on the relative length of the mount from the 3 pt. My 7 ft can rotate, for instance.
Agree. My blade is an 8’ and I can rotate it 360 degrees.