Rear blade advice

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi all. Just purchased an l2502. I have in my possession an old john deere 8 foot rear blade. I don't know what it weighs and no way of weighing it. My estimate is "really heavy" lol. I'm assuming it's too heavy for my new tractor.
Was wondering if it could damage the hydraulic system void warranty etc. I would imagine a 7 footer would be a better option. This would mostly be used for snow removal, which where I live can vary greatly from year to year. Last year I didn't plow once, for instance. Previously used an old Massey 35. Thanks in advance
Both too wide and too heavy (No, I did not say that it would not lift it.).

Even a 7' is too wide and probably too heavy. A 6' blade would be appropriate.

Still, there is no law stating that you cannot try it. Be careful when doing so as snagging the end of your 8' blade will transfer high forces to your hitch components.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Just to confirm, and this goes for the FEL, too. If it's too heavy, the hydraulic relief valve (or bypass valve) opens if all the pressure of the oil still can not lift something. The tractor protects itself from overloading the hydraulics!

If you have R4, industrial tires... that blade could just spin your back end around. Taking smaller bites might help. Weight in the FEL will aid in steering to some degree. Good luck.

I would not cut it down, unless I have to. But, I use a 6 footer and in deep snow, I struggle.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hi all. Just purchased an l2502. I have in my possession an old john deere 8 foot rear blade. I don't know what it weighs and no way of weighing it. My estimate is "really heavy" lol. I'm assuming it's too heavy for my new tractor.
Was wondering if it could damage the hydraulic system void warranty etc. I would imagine a 7 footer would be a better option. This would mostly be used for snow removal, which where I live can vary greatly from year to year. Last year I didn't plow once, for instance. Previously used an old Massey 35. Thanks in advance
For comparison, my 8’ Bison blade weighs 1025 pounds, but it is a category 2 implement.