Rear blade a-frame angle

dmignogno

Equipment
BX25D, Woods RB60 Backblade, loader forks, BX42S Chipper
Aug 5, 2013
Lincoln, DE
I bought a used Woods RB6 rear blade for $100. I have cleaned it up and painted it. Ready for snow. I have never used a rear blade before. Should the a-frame be close to level when using it or doesn't matter?

Attachments

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I bought a used Woods RB6 rear blade for $100. I have cleaned it up and painted it. Ready for snow. I have never used a rear blade before. Should the a-frame be close to level when using it or doesn't matter?
To get the best overall performance, the A frame should be parallel with the ground. That way the curvature of the blade works as it should. you might want to try a 35 degree angle on the blade to start with. ;)

psvines

Equipment
BX2660
Aug 23, 2013
Earlysville, VA
Close to level is best for ease of use. I have a similar setup and was able to easily handle 2 feet of snow (twice) a couple of years ago, on a quarter mile gravel driveway.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you really want that blade to work well on snow you need to add a couple of shoes to it, that way it doesn't dig into the ground.
Like these:
shoe 1.jpg

shoe 2.jpg

dmignogno

Equipment
BX25D, Woods RB60 Backblade, loader forks, BX42S Chipper
Aug 5, 2013
Lincoln, DE
Thanks for the information.

Skeets thanks for the video. I had seen it before and it sold me on getting a rear blade for snow removal. Its a great video.

Wolfman I do plan on adding shoes. I know a place that has and sells used plow parts. My next step in the project was to stop there and pickup a pair of used shoes cheap. Making the mounting brackets is not a problem. Lucky for me that 80 percent of my driveway is blacktop.

Thanks again everyone

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've found with my little B6100 and with it being 2wd and having a 4ft blade, for me to be agressive in moving snow I did exactly what Vic did. Turned the blade around and added about 100lbs of weigh to the plow and it was a bad little mofo pushing snow. I was amazed how much of a difference the 100lbs made and pushing backwards the tractor stays in a straight line.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I've found with my little B6100 and with it being 2wd and having a 4ft blade, for me to be agressive in moving snow I did exactly what Vic did. Turned the blade around and added about 100lbs of weigh to the plow and it was a bad little mofo pushing snow. I was amazed how much of a difference the 100lbs made and pushing backwards the tractor stays in a straight line.
The nice thing about pushing backward is that your tires stay on cleared surface.
The bad thing is all that twisting around looking back behind you.
Sometimes I pull, sometimes I push. Depends on the snow.