Ready for the chicken wing shortage

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
Has anyone else noticed the news cycles and how there is a need to jusity price increases. We had a Christmas tree shortage, turkey shortage, and every year there is a chicken wing shortage around superbowl. After Thanksgiving I saw freezers full of turkeys in stores. What are your thoughts?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Hearing that Avain flu was very bad this year in the mid-west. Dead birds mean higher prices. Part of the reason eggs are so high right now.

Reactions: 1 user

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
I don't know about chicken wings, but I can confirm that nationwide, chicken hatcheries are in a state of VERY low.supply. my usual supplier of baby chick's is sold out for the foreseeable future.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't know about chicken wings, but I can confirm that nationwide, chicken hatcheries are in a state of VERY low.supply. my usual supplier of baby chick's is sold out for the foreseeable future.
Next......... "Chick Fillet" will change their advertising to.... eat more soybeans?:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Lets never forget that chicken 'wings' were once considerd waste-product and often used for soup or gravy. Then, someone in Buffalo NY soaked some wings in "Franks" sauce and suddenly, 'wings' were a thing.

Another point- If there is a 'shortage' of wings.... does this mean chickens have suddenly stopped growing wings? You cannot have chickens without wings!!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Lets never forget that chicken 'wings' were once considerd waste-product and often used for soup or gravy. Then, someone in Buffalo NY soaked some wings in "Franks" sauce and suddenly, 'wings' were a thing.

Another point- If there is a 'shortage' of wings.... does this mean chickens have suddenly stopped growing wings? You cannot have chickens without wings!!
They don't grow back after you rip the wings off. Don't lay as many eggs either. So they let em keep their wings now. 🤪

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
They don't grow back after you rip the wings off. Don't lay as many eggs either. So they let em keep their wings now. 🤪
But...but...without wings,....... thinner chickens will take up less space in the chicken house.
Room for more total chickens = more profit for the chicken farmers!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I will say that I see a lot of empty shelves. I also see a lot of limit supply of things. Example: I drink a TON of diet lipton green tea. If you see 3-4 of the gallons you better buy it all.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I will say that I see a lot of empty shelves. I also see a lot of limit supply of things. Example: I drink a TON of diet lipton green tea. If you see 3-4 of the gallons you better buy it all.
My CPAP sleeping breathing device requires distilled water.
I have not been able to buy distilled water locally for 2+ months!
I have resorted to using "purified water", but it does contain minerals, which distilled water does not.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was needing distilled water for my antifreeze mix. Finally found it in large quantities at a Dollar General store, and Walmart had none.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I have resorted to using "purified water", but it does contain minerals, which distilled water does not.
Got it here. About a five hour drive.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
need distilled water ?
why not make your own ? several companies make small ones,or go 'old skool'..boil a tea kettle, collect the steam.....
RO machines 'make' good water...well mineral free and NO taste.....

always wondered about air conditioner condensate... it's water from the air....

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Everything is short. Rotors for my truck are near impossible to find. Unless you want cross drilled ones or the Car Quest cheapies.
The distilled water shortage is real. A number of factors causing it. Often, around here, the only distilled water available is the 89 cent water with the $1 baby picture. Not sure why Gerber thinks baby water is worth $2 but....
I don't know how much you go through but you could distill your own. It could double as a whiskey still as well.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
need distilled water ?
why not make your own ? several companies make small ones,or go 'old skool'..boil a tea kettle, collect the steam.....

Or a dehumidifier. You would have to sanitize everything regularly and probably still boil it to be safe. But it will be H20.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
need distilled water ?

At 82+ years old I have absolutely ZERO intention of making my own distilled water.
I would ALMOST rather watch a White House press secretary briefing! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Chicken wing shortage was due to all of the college bowl games. That should clear up pretty quickly. :D

Seriously though, even if you consider the Avian Flu outbreak, it doesn’t take long to grow a commercial chicken up to butcher weight … as little as 6 weeks for some breeds.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
need distilled water ?

It is, I used to collect and pump condensate from 4 -100,000 CFM , 100% outside air handlers, into the cooling towers in a facility I ran. It cut my water treatment and maintenance cost in the chiller cooling in half. No mineral's from the make-up water in the summer..... I got a raise out of too!

Last edited: