R4 Tires on lawn

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
Ive read many threads on the R4 tires. Im purchasing a L 4600 with loaded tires. I will not be driving on the lawn all the time but if i keep it in 2WD and make shallow turns on a dry lawn do you think it wll do much damage?

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
My tractor is smaller than yours but I have R 4's and they do not hurt my lawn. I take the FEL off and run it in 2 wheel drive while I'm mowing my lawn with my L3800.

bamabota

Equipment
L3200DT, LA524FL loader, 5' Land Pride bush hog
Jul 6, 2013
Oxford, AL
I have the R4 tires on my tractor also. I do the maintenance (spraying & fertilizing) on two flag football fields. I do my best to keep the tractor operating in a straight line. If I empty the spreader or tank before I reach the end of the pass, I will continue straight to the end zone, before turning around. There has been no complications of the fields use with this pattern. GOOD LUCK!!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think you will be fine......
it "might" mat the grass down a bit more than turf tires, but a good grass will perk back up quickly.
turf just has more contact patch, thus the markings are not as prominent.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
My B7100 originally had R1 type AG tires. There were real bad, tearing up the lawn any time I drove over it.

Several years ago I changed over to R4 tires. My rears are loaded with beet juice. They are the best thing I have done. The traction is great, and it is much easier on the lawn. Even with the FEL loaded down with dirt or cord wood. Much less of an impression or indentation on the lawn.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Previously, I have changed from turfs to ags because the turfs tore things up too much. Hills, ditches, etc., the turfs spun, peeling the grass off and leaving a black spot. Ags provided the traction to drive over without spinning.

My Kubota came with the R4's. I'm really hoping they behave more like ags than turfs!!!!

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
ran R4's on my BX24 for years of lawn cutting. they matted down the lawn a bit more than I'd like. no substantial damage but noticeable matt marks. my new BX25D I'm getting turf tires and keeping a full set of R4's on the side for heavier duty stuff other than cutting the grass.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
I agree on the turfs spinning and tearing up things worse than ags. You can drive through a wet spot and only leave cleat marks instead of ruts. That only happens in my vineyard. The lawn stays firm.

As far as the lawn, it is mostly under trees and I have equipment parked under the trees to keep the dew off it. I put the equipment back in a different place so that spot gets mowed. I don't fertilize since it grow fast enough as it is. I have better things to do than waste time making my lawn pretty. That acre is neglected. The other 39 are more important. I like to grow things to eat and sell. Get a life people.

navspecwar

Equipment
B3300HST FEL, ATH72 Finish Mower, 5ft KKRear Blade,Piranha TB
Oct 5, 2013
Marion, Illinois
I am just fine with my life and my pretty 5 acre lawn. I usually dont respond to shallow nonsense, however, as I pictured myself outside spending time with my parapalegic brother watching him smile from ear to ear as he helps me maintain my pretty lawn I could not help myself! I would take his life any day over yours after seeing the smile he displays taking care of the lawn over you being so quick to judge others based on what they do with a yard!!! Get a life? Unbelievable!!!!!

Last edited:

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I never really understood why people care what other people do, especially something as trivial as mowing your yard. Not to mention having to sit down and type out his disapproval.

Personally the R4 tires work very well for my yard!

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
Thank you for all your replies. My lawn is far from from pretty. Not to get to pissed off here but i have a life and work my ass off for it. It was just simple question. Again Thank you all the information. Just picked up the L4600 with the FEl and Bh92 hoe. It fits perfectly in my garage.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't judge anyone for having a nice pretty lawn. If that's all I had to do I might have a lawn myself. As it is I have a yard, AKA staging area to get to the work. My prefered mower is my M9000 and 15' batwing. I'm still thinking hard about putting hot wire around the entire lower portion and running cows on it. Free mowing and fertilizer all in one pass.

Express, I believe you will be happy with the R4's on the lawn. Congrat's on the new Orange, don't forget to post some pics for us.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would just love to black top my yard and AstroTurf it

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
I have a L4600 with R4s and in my experience both style tires are better on grass depending on moisture. If your ground is a little soft and a tire breaks free the R1 will rip a rut in the ground in seconds, whereas the R4 will slip on top an only cut the grass. And on firmer ground it kinda goes the other way, while both of them dont sink much (because of the dry/harder surface) a R1 seems better because it grips so much better and doesnt slip at all and only 'sheep-foots' the soil a little whereas the R4 can easily break grip on hard/firm ground and rips the grass easily. Thats my experience anyway,, your mileage may vary. :eek:

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
Ive read many threads on the R4 tires. Im purchasing a L 4600 with loaded tires. I will not be driving on the lawn all the time but if i keep it in 2WD and make shallow turns on a dry lawn do you think it wll do much damage?

just bought a new B3200 and had to decide ag. or turf tires. I mow with a 5ft. finish mower about 2 acres, and have 70 acres woods. Glad i went with the ag. tires. I am in the woods, and mud more than mowing. And from what i see, long as I avoid sharp turns, the lawn is fine. rather have a little lawn scarp on occasion, but know I can get out of the mud... Love the new toy......