R14 Tires - LX2610 - Snow Chain Recommendations

timb365

Apr 9, 2021
Western NJ
Been searching high and low for suggestions on snow chains for my LX, but have not found anyone using chains with (specifically) R14 tires. I am on a steep grade, will be using a front snow blower on blacktop. I keep getting hung up on the R14s and the fear that what I get will end up between the lugs somehow and I would like to avoid a costly "oops". Safety is my number one concern and because of that cost isn't (not to sound brash!).

As tempted as I am to go studded, I think I will tear up my already beat up driveway (repaving will be next year), so something like the Aquiline MPC keeps popping up, but I am not sure if they are the best option for me.

Anyone out there with experience or knowledge on what will work the R14s for my use case?

Thanks!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Been searching high and low for suggestions on snow chains for my LX, but have not found anyone using chains with (specifically) R14 tires. I am on a steep grade, will be using a front snow blower on blacktop. I keep getting hung up on the R14s and the fear that what I get will end up between the lugs somehow and I would like to avoid a costly "oops". Safety is my number one concern and because of that cost isn't (not to sound brash!).

As tempted as I am to go studded, I think I will tear up my already beat up driveway (repaving will be next year), so something like the Aquiline MPC keeps popping up, but I am not sure if they are the best option for me.

Anyone out there with experience or knowledge on what will work the R14s for my use case?

Thanks!
I've considerable experience using tire chains on asphalt but not with R14T tires.

Any chains with studs, V bars, or other ice traction aids will be very damaging to asphalt. I use 2 link ladder chains with both Z bar and R4 tires with no asphalt issues but ANY tire chains can cause asphalt damage if one does not use common sense.

I have no issues with my 2 link ladder chains becoming hidden between the lugs on any of my tractors regardless of tire type but I do take the time to fit and install them properly and most folks do not.

Be advised that tire chains cannot be used on your LX if it has the optional oversized R14T tires.

SDT

timb365

Apr 9, 2021
Western NJ
Thanks.

For clarity, I have the standard R14s with 1.5” Kubota spacers in the rear. They are also filled. I get to do all the snow stuff this year (first year) with an open station - I so can’t wait! <insert sarcasm>.

Thoughts on front tire chains? Doesn’t seem that Aquiline size down small enough.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I run 2 link, basic ladder chains, no studs or v bars, on all 4 wheels of my B2920 with front mount snowblower. I have turf tires and have a steep asphalt driveway. I don’t cause any damage to the asphalt because I am careful not to spin the tires. The basic ladder chains provide plenty of traction because pushing a snowblower is not as hard as pushing a plow.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks.

For clarity, I have the standard R14s with 1.5” Kubota spacers in the rear. They are also filled. I get to do all the snow stuff this year (first year) with an open station - I so can’t wait! <insert sarcasm>.

Thoughts on front tire chains? Doesn’t seem that Aquiline size down small enough.
Front chains add little tractive effort but are very helpful with steering.

SDT

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
I run diamond pattern studded chains on my L2501 with R1's on an asphalt driveway and after one season have yet to see any damage to the asphalt. Before that I ran V-bars on a 9N for years with no issues. You can't beat studded chains. I think the lawyers probably make them write that the studded chains may damage your asphalt but I have not seen it in practice.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If cost isn't a concern, buy 4 turf tires and install the chains on the rear. I snowblow uphill with a BX with turf tires, and no chains, with no problem. I do have a weight box on the rear with about 600# of weight, and filled tires. I tried chains only once, and took them off within the first 15 feet because they made the ride too bumpy for my liking. On my truck, I abandoned using chains, and went with studded snow tires, and never had a problem plowing. The only time that I would want to use chains is if there were ice under the snow, but I have yet to encounter that issue.

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
8D233066-F112-437C-85F3-7552C12519B6.jpeg
Ice-Pik studded chains on R-14’s with 2” spacers. Work well, and when you do it right pretty easy on and off. Ive got a gravel/stay mat drive though so no input on damage to asphalt but I’d imagine they would do a number.

Earl II

Equipment
2021 LX2610
Jan 1, 2022
Idaho
I just bought a set of Trygg ladder style chains for my LX2610 with the R14 tires after doing some front plowing without. Makes a huge difference in pushing snow. The set I bought, purely by chance (local Trygg dealership had them special ordered and returned so I got a killer deal) are humongous 13 mm links that cannot fall into the R14 lugs. Rides like an old Sherman tank on hard pack or driveway aprons but they do a good job in grabbing. I did have a few of the end links torched off and bought some shorter shackles to connect the end links. Got the spring loaded chain tighteners from TireChains.com. I will try to post a picture soon.

my87csx481

Equipment
LX2610HSDC
Aug 8, 2023
Aroostook, Maine
Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Just tried to install Aquiline MPC chains on R14T 14-17.5 tires. They are way too big. Seller agreed to a full refund.

Just wondering what other options might be available. Was hoping for a box like pattern (not ladder style). And not studded. Anyone have any suggestions?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Just tried to install Aquiline MPC chains on R14T 14-17.5 tires. They are way too big. Seller agreed to a full refund.

Just wondering what other options might be available. Was hoping for a box like pattern (not ladder style). And not studded. Anyone have any suggestions?
Did you buy the correct size? If not, can you exchange for the correct size? Almost all new tire chains are made out fit several close sizes of tires and require some shortening on the smaller tires in that range. Can you cut them down to fit your tires?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Thanks!
Go to tirechains.com and read the applications date. You will learn more than you could possibly want to know about tire chains. No, do not expect to find specific recommendations for R14T tires.

If you plan to use tire chains on asphalt, it is highly recommended that you use only twist-link ladders, preferably 2-link versioins. DO NOT use ice chains or anything with studs.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

As Mikester stated previously, tire chains are designed to fit muiltiple tire sizes and nearly always need to be fitted to a particular tire size for proper fitment. This is done by removal (rarely, addition) of links, cross chains, etc. Time consuming but need be done only once.

I've bought and fitted many sets of tire chains, and, if properly fitted and installed, will not move and tensioners of any type are not needed.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Thanks!
I have a couple decades using everything from ladder to field chains on my asphalt lane. They produce scratchs that dissapear with seal coating but nothing I would call damage. The plow is far more of a concern in that regard.

The ladder chains do have a mild tendency to dissapear in the lugs on my R4s. For performance my preference is something with a center ring or pattern. If conditions are bad enough to need chains I would choose the chains in post #9 over ladders in heartbeat.

Dan

BTW - my 20+ year old asphalt is due for repair and new topcoat. The damage is from cracking, sinking, and hooking a raised edge with a blade or bucket. Chains have been a non- issue.

Last edited: