Quick video using my seat lift

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
For starters I debated to even post this video of myself using my self-designed and built seat lift that allows me to get up on my taller L2501. I am able to pull myself up on my B7100. I use a wheelchair full time after suffering a spinal cord injury 40 plus years ago. One of the reasons I debated posting this video is that some folks will go into "safety mode" and perhaps think that I am putting myself at unnecessary risk operating this tractor. I believe I have mitigated the risks and safety is always in my mind, be it getting on and off or out on my acreage putting the tractor thru its paces.

The reason I did decide to post this video is that it might give others the encouragement to make adaptive changes that will allow them to safely get outdoors and enjoy operating equipment such as the L2501. Recently the US Fish and Wildlife biologist that I work with mentioned he has a land owner that is hesitant to sign a land owner agreement and put in 10 acres of prairie due to the fact he uses crutches. His concern was that he would not be able to put in the physical labor required to make the project a success.

Now on to the video.
I will try to answer a few questions that might be asked. I had originally installed a seat belt for myself but find that after using the seat lift now for a year and half its not needed. Now I use it to secure the seat lift from swinging out when its full up and I am operating the tractor. The reason that I look down and stop and start on the way up is that I make sure that the seat clears projections on the loader frame and that my feet are not entangles etc. I think it takes me longer to get situated on the tractors seat just right then the time I spend on the lift! lol.

I am happy to field any questions or criticisms related to the seat lift or safety issues.

Reactions: 16 users

Ol'MacDonald

Equipment
L3560
Aug 18, 2021
Nova Scotia, Canada
This is a wonderful attachment! I am glad you are able to enjoy your tractor.(y)

There would be challenges fitting this arrangements to the complicated geometry of a tractor and loader but I think you have done well with this. The system is operated manually by the operator/passenger so this will add to the peace of mind of the user. I am sure there are safety upgrades that could be added to the system but, as you said, they are not necessary for your specific application.

Did you customize the controls on your tractors or were they prepared by the dealers?

Nice work.

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
This is a wonderful attachment! I am glad you are able to enjoy your tractor.(y)

There would be challenges fitting this arrangements to the complicated geometry of a tractor and loader but I think you have done well with this. The system is operated manually by the operator/passenger so this will add to the peace of mind of the user. I am sure there are safety upgrades that could be added to the system but, as you said, they are not necessary for your specific application.

Did you customize the controls on your tractors or were they prepared by the dealers?

Nice work.
Thanks for the kind and thoughtful comments!

I made the the extension levers for the hydro pedal and clutch pedal also. I did find it interesting just how tight things were as far as the operators station. I may still reconfigure my hydro pedal lever and give it some adjustability. I find I would like it come back further towards me when I have it pushed all the way forward to full pedal.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
awesome job! Good for you. Amazing ingenuity.

I had a friend years back who was paralyzed from the waste down after being hit by a drunk.
He was treasurer of our 4x4 club, bigtime jeep guy. He adapted his jeep to all hand controls and went four-wheeling out in the New England woods all the time.

It's great to see stuff like this.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Great job with the upgrades. Nothing like tractor time and being able to get some work done.
I have a close friend that also is in a wheelchair. She takes care of a flock of chickens and gardens as well. You are a inspiration to us folks that can sometimes take things for granted from time to time.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think that is pretty damned in genius Ya done good !!!!!👍👍👍

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I am very impressed with your creativity and how compact the device is. It looks so well integrated into the tractor that it seems that it came with it. I am glad to see when people can overcome obstacles to make their lives more enjoyable.
My only comment on the video is that the grapple stand is not stowed and it could get damaged during use of the grapple.

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I am very impressed with your creativity and how compact the device is. It looks so well integrated into the tractor that it seems that it came with it. I am glad to see when people can overcome obstacles to make their lives more enjoyable.
My only comment on the video is that the grapple stand is not stowed and it could get damaged during use of the grapple.
Good eye on the grapple stand! I lost the spring that keeps it latched and the new spring is sitting at my dealer with me needing to pick it up. I keep an eye on it as I am working but yes, I risk bending it.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments thus far. I really hope that my post can inspire others to make the mods they need to get out there and enjoy the land and these neat machines.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
For starters I debated to even post this video of myself using my self-designed and built seat lift that allows me to get up on my taller L2501. I am able to pull myself up on my B7100. I use a wheelchair full time after suffering a spinal cord injury 40 plus years ago. One of the reasons I debated posting this video is that some folks will go into "safety mode" and perhaps think that I am putting myself at unnecessary risk operating this tractor. I believe I have mitigated the risks and safety is always in my mind, be it getting on and off or out on my acreage putting the tractor thru its paces.

The reason I did decide to post this video is that it might give others the encouragement to make adaptive changes that will allow them to safely get outdoors and enjoy operating equipment such as the L2501. Recently the US Fish and Wildlife biologist that I work with mentioned he has a land owner that is hesitant to sign a land owner agreement and put in 10 acres of prairie due to the fact he uses crutches. His concern was that he would not be able to put in the physical labor required to make the project a success.

Now on to the video.
I will try to answer a few questions that might be asked. I had originally installed a seat belt for myself but find that after using the seat lift now for a year and half its not needed. Now I use it to secure the seat lift from swinging out when its full up and I am operating the tractor. The reason that I look down and stop and start on the way up is that I make sure that the seat clears projections on the loader frame and that my feet are not entangles etc. I think it takes me longer to get situated on the tractors seat just right then the time I spend on the lift! lol.

I am happy to field any questions or criticisms related to the seat lift or safety issues.

Nice to see you outside having fun.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ken, I remember the post you made when working on the winch bracket. Glad you posted a video showing the final product and how it works for you.

Though you have physical limitations the process of designing and building the lift has to be a great satisfaction knowing your mind exceeds many. Operating that machine has to be therapy, like the folks with limitations who ride horses.

Now tell me how you get the implements attached to the tractor! Don't tell me you do that from a wheelchair, 'cause if you do I will never think bad thoughts when I'm having trouble hooking something up!! (y)

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Good on you! Keep on trucking, errr tractoring :)
My very dear friend was in the same situation for 20 years after a mc accident. Didn't stop him from scuba diving, playing golf and snow skiing.
Life is Short, Ride Hard

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken, I remember the post you made when working on the winch bracket. Glad you posted a video showing the final product and how it works for you.

Though you have physical limitations the process of designing and building the lift has to be a great satisfaction knowing your mind exceeds many. Operating that machine has to be therapy, like the folks with limitations who ride horses.

Now tell me how you get the implements attached to the tractor! Don't tell me you do that from a wheelchair, 'cause if you do I will never think bad thoughts when I'm having trouble hooking something up!! (y)
LOL, yep , implement changes are troublesome to say the least. I try and time my work and what implement change I need with the schedule of one of my boys free times. I figure it gives them a good reason to spend some time with this cranky old man! :)

I have sketched up some rough plans to install a electric linear actuator for the quick attach front loader. Others have done this but I have a few twists in mind but do not want to spill the beans till I get into the build. It will allow me to MINIMIZE my on and offs when changing out the bucket with the grapple which is the most often implement change for me. If not for the hydraulic lines for the grapple I would be able to do the swap completely from the tractor seat.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
You have my FULL respect! Good job designing and building that. Glad you still get to enjoy operating your Kubota.
How is it powered? Is that just a winch system on it?

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
You have my FULL respect! Good job designing and building that. Glad you still get to enjoy operating your Kubota.
How is it powered? Is that just a winch system on it?
Thanks!
Yes, powered with a 12v winch. I had contemplated using a jack screw type setup but decided to keep things as simple as I could. The tricky part for me was working out the articulating seat arm that connects to the trolly that rides vertically in the C channel column . It had to "wrap" around the loader bracket yet be able to pivot in to the operators station far enough to allow me to transfer to the tractor seat. As a side note , the seat pan/cushion and arm simply lifts off the trolly with no hand tools required. I have had others operate the tractor and being able to quickly and easily remove the seat and arm is less distracting for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Wow, Ken! Your lift turned out to be a super addition! Form follows function and it looks like it's certainly no bother in the tractor's operation as well. I think you may get more work done by accident than I do by design! Your new shed looks terrific, by the way!

Re loader removal: to make removing my old JD loader easier to remove, I devised a short spreader bar hooked up to a winch above where I normally parked the tractor in my shed. It allowed me to hook it across my loader arms and with the pins pulled just raise the loader up to where the tractor could just back out from under it. It eliminated the use of the pesky loader stands, curling the bucket, etc. Depending on how your loader detaches and the accessibility of those pins.....an electric winch setup somewhat similar in your shed might be an option? Just a quick thought I had.

Cheers,
David

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Wow, Ken! Your lift turned out to be a super addition! Form follows function and it looks like it's certainly no bother in the tractor's operation as well. I think you may get more work done by accident than I do by design! Your new shed looks terrific, by the way!

Re loader removal: to make removing my old JD loader easier to remove, I devised a short spreader bar hooked up to a winch above where I normally parked the tractor in my shed. It allowed me to hook it across my loader arms and with the pins pulled just raise the loader up to where the tractor could just back out from under it. It eliminated the use of the pesky loader stands, curling the bucket, etc. Depending on how your loader detaches and the accessibility of those pins.....an electric winch setup somewhat similar in your shed might be an option? Just a quick thought I had.

Cheers,
David
Thanks for the kind comments David!

Appreciate you passing on the thoughts and info on removing the loader! While not having a need YET to remove my loader I did build the seat lift to work with or without the loader on. I have a middle column support that utilizes the main pin that keeps the loader in the cradle of the loader sub frame.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville

Now on to the video.

Excellent job. Truly an inspiration as well for others!

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Ken,
No rainclouds from the Safety Police here, I think you've done a fabulous job. Your determination, craftsmanship and design of your lift should be an inspiration to all.
Great Job!
Regards,

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I was curious about your build and finally found it. I am even more impressed now with the whole thing. My only addition would be from the "belt and suspenders department". From what I can gather, the piece of square tubing on the side of the channel is what transfer any loads to the FEL pin or frame in the forward, aft and outboard directions. However, as you rotate the swivel seat inboard towards the operator seat with your weight, now you have a moment load (torque) trying to move the top of channel away from the end of the pin and only the "U" bolts at the bottom would be preventing such thing from happening.
My suggestion would be that since you already have a hole on the square tube piece to verify pin engagement, enlarge the hole, weld a nut, put a bolt in there to capture the tip of the FEL pin. At that point the FEL pin would also take any inboard loads from the lift. I might be wrong, but if my assumptions are right, this might add a little extra safety. I hope this makes sense.