Quick Hitch Expensive Boat Anchor?

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
A friend was telling me he bought a Harbor Freight Quick Hitch some years ago and found that a boat anchor would be the the best use for it. He also said if I wanted it to come get it out of his way.

I have not used a quick hitch with my BX23 and am not really sure how to set it up and what I need to set it up. But heck, free is hard to pass up.

Of course there are no pins or adapters with this QH so do I need to buy these? I use the 3ph for a flail mower, box blade, scrape blade, bush hog, and fertilizer spreader.

Don't want to reinvent the wheel so any set up tips would be greatly appreciated.

If I cannot get it to work I guess it would be a good excuse to buy a boat and use it for an anchor.:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They are pretty dang simple to connect 3 pins is all it will take.
Post a pic when you get it, and I should be able to tell you tell you what pins you need.
I don't understand why some think Quick hitches are junk???
They make hooking up an implement so much easier and safer!

buckaroo52

Equipment
Kubota L 3800 DT
Jun 5, 2013
Molalla, Oregon
I like the principle of them, but most people say they put your implements too far back reducing your 3 pt. Lift capacity, same as quick attach for front loader, too far forward...from what I've read on this forum anyhow...

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
If you are continually pushing the limit on your 3 pt enough that the 4" to 4-1/2" extra length is going to cause you a problem, you need a bigger tractor!

You will want the bushings for the lower implement pins so the implement doesn't bounce around in the hitch. Best prices seem to be from Northern Tool, at about $13, although I think I saw a post somewhere that someone had gotten some for about $10. Might also want bushing for the top link connection, for the same reason.

My HF QH had 3/4" pins for the lower link connection to the tractor 3 pt. I opened up the holes to 7/8" and put new pins on so there was no play there.

Makes changing implements so much easier. I can have the snowblower on in about 1 minute now. Before it would take 10 minutes of cussing and hard labor to get it hooked up. (And yes, I tried lots of the suggestions found on the forums about how to make it easier.)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I could write a 2 page article on quick hitches. There is so much you need to know before you start. For starters, learn what catagory 1 and catagory 2 means. The pins on the lift arms, ( the 2 on the bottom are different size from the one on the top in cat 1. The same applies to cat 2. The pin size from cat 1 and cat 2 are different. Most cat 1 quick hitches that I have seen, actually have cat 2 size slots in the bottom of the quick hitch. TSC has bushings that you can slide on a cat 1 pin and make it a cat 2 size. Same applies to the top link.
The real problem you get into is the width spaceing. Your lower lift arms will move in (closer) or out ( wider) to accomadate your attachment. The quick hitch will NOT. Measure the inside spaceing on a quick hitch, harbor freight, tsc, northern, then measure you implents. You will probably find you implements are not all the same. Some will not fit in between the quick hitch and others will have an inch or two spaceing between the implement and the inside of the qh, this will cause the pins to bend in the long run.
Look at the top link on the qh, it has a hook on it. Now look at your implements. Most will require major change to make them work. The highth from the lower pin to the top link has to be the same for ALL the implements. Another modification. I can tell you all this true because I have done 2 complete sets for 2 different tractors. Rotary cutter, drag box, angle blade, finish mower, ballast box and field scratcher. Once you get all of them done, it IS SO much easier to change implements , on some , I don't even get off the tractor.
There are other things to know but my fingers have gotten stiff. Ask if there is anything specific.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Some update, took some measurements today on the implements. These are outside dimensions, the part that the pin bolts up to.
Box blade,,,23 1/4
bush hog,,,25 1/4
field scratcher,,,22 1/2
rake,,,22 3/4
See why nothing works,, no standards.
Each one of these were modified to fit a quick hitch that had an inside diminsion of 27 1/4.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
One item that was not correct in prior post'

The highth from the lower pin to the top link has to be the same for ALL the implements

There is no usual need for the hook that comes with it for most equipment. See attached photos for a simple method with strap steel. You can see there is plenty of adjustment for heights of different attachments.

For most of my attachments I don't bother with the exact diameter for the pins at the lower two places and don't seem to have any trouble with that sloppyness.

Before buying attachments just make sure it fits inside the lower hooks of the QH.

Attachments

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
One more reason for not using the top hook. Look at the rear plow thing in photo above. The hook would have to be juggled into the opening under the pin and then re-attached to the holes in the QH and then might not fit well.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
One more reason for not using the top hook. Look at the rear plow thing in photo above. The hook would have to be juggled into the opening under the pin and then re-attached to the holes in the QH and then might not fit well.
Actually, the top hook of the QH is supposed to attach to that lower bolted connection point, (the one that looks like it just holding the 2 sides of the upright together) not the normal top link point. That's why it is sleeved to fit the top hook. No juggling required.

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
I just got a L3800 and some Land Pride 3 point implements and was considering a quick hitch. Land Pride makes one that is a bit more than others.....Is there a big difference in quality between the different brand/manufacturers?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
cerlawson,, if you do it that way, you have to get off the tractor. I don't have to get off mine, except for the pto shaft on the bush hog.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
RBA:

Maybe so. However, the "King Kutter" rear blade guys didn't seem to know there is the QH with a top hook and so the spacer pipe OD is somewhat larger than the opening of the hook. Also, they slant the vertical bars such that they tend to interfere with the top "plates" of the QH, making an easy from the seat connection not that easy. Regardless, the QH makes the connecting up much easier than the methods needed without the QH.

The photo is of the BX and its blade. I have a larger blue tractor with a larger blade at my cabin. That "King Kutter blade parts are so slanted that there would be even more interference. I'm thinking of getting out the torch and change that blade's parts.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
They are pretty dang simple to connect 3 pins is all it will take.
Post a pic when you get it, and I should be able to tell you tell you what pins you need.
I don't understand why some think Quick hitches are junk???
They make hooking up an implement so much easier and safer!
I know this has come up before but I wonder if you (and others) have a recommendation on which manufacturer is "best" for a novice user? It would be convenient to hookup the bottom plow without much fuss (not that it is bad now). Thank you.

Al

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Thanks for the information. My internet has been down so I am trying to catch up. I will measure my attachments and compare when I get time to pick up the quick hitch. Sounds like I would have to have bushings for each of my implements.

Seems like a subject with many opinions.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The Brand of implements makes a big difference as to wether or not your implements are quick hitch compatible. A lot of the cheaper brands like those sold at TSC and other such stores are cheap for a reason. They cut corners. Many of the better brands like LandPride, Bushhog, Kubota and so on build to higher quality specs and the implements are more likely to be compatible with a quick hitch.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
As to best QH, well no one so far has shown a problem with cheaper ones. For instance with a harbor freight model, I modified Category II rear 8 ft. off-set type blade to fit the Cat I and used it for extensive grading of gravel roads and side ditches to the point of having one pin of the blade bending and resulting in one side lower hook of the QH doing the work before I caught it Yet, no problem with the QH.

Two other tractors with Harbor Freight QH and working fine.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Northern tool has a good Quick Hitch, Bottom pin collars and Top link bushings for a decent price.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200439721_200439721

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200479426_200479426

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200606693_200606693

Bottom pin collars (One Set per Implement)

Top link bushings (One per Implement)
This is the one I have, bought it from Rural King.

I bought this top link hook up from my Kubota dealer, I find it easier to hook up.

I love the quick hitch, it was a struggle when I first got my Kubota, its tight back there and there's not much room to work.

Attachments