Quick Coupler Replacement w/ minimal fluid loss

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Fellows,
The pioneer coupler on my L2900 to my loader has developed a leak (red arrow in pic). I replaced the o-ring inside the coupler and that didn't help. I'm just going to eliminate the coupler all together and screw the hose directly into the block. My goal is to minimize fluid loss since there is about $260 worth of super UDT in it at the moment. I'm not good at interpreting hydraulic flow charts, so I'm hoping an expert can chime in. Should I rotate the control screw to the "implement attached" or "implement not attached position" while preforming the repair? The leaking coupler is on the tank port? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Fellows,
The pioneer coupler on my L2900 to my loader has developed a leak (red arrow in pic). I replaced the o-ring inside the coupler and that didn't help. I'm just going to eliminate the coupler all together and screw the hose directly into the block. My goal is to minimize fluid loss since there is about $260 worth of super UDT in it at the moment. I'm not good at interpreting hydraulic flow charts, so I'm hoping an expert can chime in. Should I rotate the control screw to the "implement attached" or "implement not attached position" while preforming the repair? The leaking coupler is on the tank port? Thanks for the help!
I really won't matter. As long as the tractor is off you are only going to get a dribble from what ever oil is laying in the lines.

Dan

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Thanks Hokie, I appreciate it. I wasn't sure if it was possible for the trans to puke it's guts back out through the block port. I could just envision it happening and me scrambling to plug it back up while saying every dirty word I know. That's usually how "simple" jobs go for me, haha.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Is the hose going to allow you to thread it into the block? In other words, ….what is the OTHER end of the hose connected to? Will it allow the hose to be rotated/thread into the block without unthreading the other end?
It might be the male portion of the Pioneer that is nicked and causing the leak?
I”m just thinking it might be better to replace the Pioneer fitting with a new one….?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
get a clean container of some sort, put it under where you're working. When done, pour it back into the transmission.

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Is the hose going to allow you to thread it into the block? In other words, ….what is the OTHER end of the hose connected to? Will it allow the hose to be rotated/thread into the block without unthreading the other end?
It might be the male portion of the Pioneer that is nicked and causing the leak?
I”m just thinking it might be better to replace the Pioneer fitting with a new one….?
Well GeoHorn, I discovered tonight that you are correct and those stinkin hoses do not swivel. So I need to purchase another coupler. I did remove the bad one tonight and could not find any knicks on it. I'm guessing the internal o-ring has gone bad. Removing the coupler from the block does result in a small, but constant stream of transmission fluid loss, but I stuck a plug in it, so all is good.

Thanks,
Brandon

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
When I replaced a lot of my hose lines, I cut off the JIC connectors that were decent and plugged the ends.
These can be used to plug up cylinders and things while you do things like go for hoses and such.
I'm sure others have thought of this too.

They also make JIC plugs too.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well GeoHorn, I discovered tonight that you are correct and those stinkin hoses do not swivel. So I need to purchase another coupler. I did remove the bad one tonight and could not find any knicks on it. I'm guessing the internal o-ring has gone bad. Removing the coupler from the block does result in a small, but constant stream of transmission fluid loss, but I stuck a plug in it, so all is good.

Thanks,
Brandon
Just screw a pipe swivel into the port on the tractor and you won't have that problem again.

1404-08-08-Main_2_300x188[1].jpg

This is why I replace hoses with ridged pipe ends with ones that have JIC swivel ends. Makes life a lot easier.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Rigid

(Not being snippy…. just trying to help…….took me a minute to think about what a ridged fitting might be.)

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Just screw a pipe swivel into the port on the tractor and you won't have that problem again.

View attachment 69794

This is why I replace hoses with ridged pipe ends with ones that have JIC swivel ends. Makes life a lot easier.

Dan
Right on Dan. I had one of the dump cylinder hoses tear and had JIC swivel hose made. Salty but much easier to work with. Speaking of salty, I stopped by the local Parker store today and got a new coupler and 3/8 NPT male-male end. Left the shop with $80 less than I entered. Bright side is no more puddle on the garage floor from the tractor.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Right on Dan. I had one of the dump cylinder hoses tear and had JIC swivel hose made. Salty but much easier to work with. Speaking of salty, I stopped by the local Parker store today and got a new coupler and 3/8 NPT male-male end. Left the shop with $80 less than I entered. Bright side is no more puddle on the garage floor from the tractor.
The Parker store is crazy expensive. I stopped in earlier this week looking for a length of 1/2" steel tube. They did not have any but said they could have it the next day and asked how much I wanted. Since they were ordering it I said get me two sticks and left without asking the price. Last time I purchased tube from them it was as you say a little salty @2.80 per foot. When I showed up the next day they presented me with a bill for $240 ($6/foot) plus tax. I paid but wasn't happy. Got home and checked online - $3.20 /ft + $20 shipping and no tax.

BTW the JIC hose ends are not significantly more expensive than rigid pipe. It costs mbe roughly $8 for two JIC swivel ends plus $2/ft to make a 3/8 JIC hose assembly using generic R16 hose. If I go high end Gates MegaFlex hose is $6/ft.

Dan

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The Parker store is crazy expensive. I stopped in earlier this week looking for a length of 1/2" steel tube. They did not have any but said they could have it the next day and asked how much I wanted. Since they were ordering it I said get me two sticks and left without asking the price. Last time I purchased tube from them it was as you say a little salty @2.80 per foot. When I showed up the next day they presented me with a bill for $240 ($6/foot) plus tax. I paid but wasn't happy. Got home and checked online - $3.20 /ft + $20 shipping and no tax.

BTW the JIC hose ends are not significantly more expensive than rigid pipe. It costs mbe roughly $8 for two JIC swivel ends plus $2/ft to make a 3/8 JIC hose assembly using generic R16 hose. If I go high end Gates MegaFlex hose is $6/ft.

Dan
I think you do pay tax on online orders now! That savings is history.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I think you do pay tax on online orders now! That savings is history.
That still depends on the seller. Most online sellers now collect state retail sales taxes but I can assure you there was no tax on that hydraulic tube nor the aluminum bar I purchased last week.

Dan