Questions RE Converting L681 Loader to SSQA

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I am new here. Thanks for this forum.

I have an L3710. It has an L681 loader and an old-style bucket. I want to change it to SSQA. After that, I want to take my annoying chain-on brush forks and turn them into an SSQA attachment.

I'm trying to get a Kubota adaptor, but I may have to get an ATI Tach-All if I can't find one. I am considering getting a new bucket, because welding up the old one is a hassle, but if I convert the old one, I will need some information so I don't screw up.

What thickness should the new mounting plate be? I have seen them in 3/8" and 1/2". Can I just grab a cheap Titan from Amazon and get good results?

I was thinking of ordering a Wicked Bucket from Everything Attachments and selling my old bucket, but I'm afraid there is no market for old-style buckets. Are they hard to sell?

05 21 22 Kubota bucket front small.jpg

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
My uncle got a bunch of tomahawk ssqa blanks. 1/4" and 3/8" only issues they have had is on their big skid loader with the 1/4" plates. They did attempt to make a palet fork set and tweaked that. Ended up with 1/2" plate for them. But so far as I know, and what they've done on their lower lift capacity equipment the lighter plates have done just fine. I used one of the 1/4" adapters on my bucket, but it's a good bit smaller then what your looking at. Seems it's just as important to welding them on right then just the thickness. The Plate I used has a big cut out in the center and came with instructions that it needed stitched every so often and where it needed welded solid. Both around the outside and the center.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I decided to order an ATI Tach-All. The local Kubota people failed to return my call, and when I called to remind them, they said it would take at least two days to figure out whether a comparable Kubota part existed and could be provided. I suspect they were just blowing me off because they didn't want to deal with a little $1000 sale, so I am going ahead with ATI.

Now I have to figure out which plate to go with. I may just go to Everything Attachments and order a Wicked Bucket.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea Kubota doesn't make a factory SSQA for the LA681 loader

And a 1/4 or 3/8 plate is plenty for a tractor.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I wonder if it's true that it takes two days of research for a dealer to find out if a part exists and can be shipped. That would make a shortage seem even worse.

I can search for a John Deere part myself and get answers pretty much instantly. One would think a top Japanese company's employees would be able to do that.

Last edited:

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I asked about an EA bucket, and they are 4 months out, so I have to get an adaptor plate for the old one. I think I'll order a new bucket anyway, since it's a better bucket.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a plate that will go on an LA681 bucket without too much cutting? I don't see any point in ordering an expensive one, since steel is steel. They are available in 3/8" for as little as $150, delivered.

Tractor Mike sells a plate that looks different from the ones on Amazon. His plate has two rectangles at the ends, with a big, empty rectangular space between them to allow keeping most of the angle-iron brace on the back of a Kubota bucket. The Titan plates on Amazon have smaller cutouts. I can cut more metal out, but I would like a plate which is as close to ideal as possible when it arrives.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Honestly a plate is a plate. If it doest really matter which one you get. I prefer the ones that you can weld in the middle of, but the solid one can have a hole cut in them just as quick.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Retro fits usually work better with full plates

But that's not a bad plate to work with.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
You don't 'need' the material in the center, as the weight is on the loader frame 'arms'.
My plates are about 7" wide just to the locking pins, then I weld 'whatever' is needed between them.
You can fab a 'full' sheet style from a 24x48 sheet, cut in 3 , main is 16.5, then 3" top rail, 3" btm rail
more or less....

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I took the easy way out and ordered the solid 3/8" plate. Whatever I cut out, I can use for a pizza steel or some other project. Once I get the bucket converted, I'll have a better grip on the way this works, so I'll know exactly what I need next time.

Thanks again.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
My ATI SSQA and Titan 3/8" solid mount plate arrived, and today I installed the adaptor.

Taking the bucket off the tractor wasn't too bad. The bolts on the pins were pretty fresh, so the nuts came right off. I put the bucket down on a couple of cinder blocks.

Putting the adaptor on the tractor was not all that much fun. I decided it was smarter to move the part to the tractor instead of trying to nudge the tractor to the part to make it line up, so I put the adaptor on a Harbor Freight lift table. That was a great idea, but unfortunately, I decided to line up holes on the hydraulics first instead of the rigid FEL holes. After wasting maybe an hour in the burning sun, I started over, installing the pins on the arms first. After that, the job was merely unpleasant, not terrible.

ATI does not leave enough room to put a socket wrench on the pin bolts, and the Kubota bolts are ridiculously long, so I had a lot of fun turning slippery bolts with a box wrench.

I have seen people complain about the condition of their old pins when installing things, but mine looked very good. The tractor has about 1200 hours. I grease it pretty regularly, but I don't recall seeing the zerks in the pins before, so they have probably not been greased since 2017.

I had to use a rawhide hammer, three different drive punches to line the pin holes up, and a massive Nupla deadblow hammer. I can see why people hate old-style pin attachments. I could see spending three hours switching attachments the old way.

The mount plate I ordered feels like it weighs over a hundred pounds. I think about 70 pounds will be cut out and set aside, so I wasted some money there, but maybe I can use the scrap to make mount plates for the fork attachment I'm going to build.

The black marks in the photos are pin grease, which I got all over everything.

The tractor is leaking hydraulic fluid somewhere between the front wheels, so I have to figure that out.

Really looking forward to using multiple attachments instead of being crippled by my brush forks.

06 02 22 Kubota ATI quick attach install 01 bucket off small.jpg

06 02 22 Kubota ATI quick attach install 02 adaptor on lift table small.jpg

06 02 22 Kubota ATI quick attach install 03 adaptor installed small.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
looks good to me, as long as you've got your 10 fingers and toes, where they should be,it was a good day !

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
looks good to me, as long as you've got your 10 fingers and toes, where they should be,it was a good day !
Yeah, I was really nervous, poking around to see if holes lined up. I started using an iron bar instead of my fingers. I was also careful not to stand under the loader when it wasn't supported.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mr Haney, all the grief and frustration will soon be forgotten when using your tractor. A skid steer quick attach makes it a different machine, and you'll ask your self over and over why you didn't do it sooner !!!!!