Question for N Idaho folks

Puddle

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 14, 2017
Sandpoint
I am moving to Sandpoint in 5 days (I know not the smartest time to move to Idaho) My driveway is about 600', should I cry once and buy a snowblower or see if a snowplow will get the job done? (if not, cry twice possibly) I do understand that the winters vary year to year up there. My tractor is a BX2370.

Thanks

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am moving to Sandpoint in 5 days (I know not the smartest time to move to Idaho) My driveway is about 600', should I cry once and buy a snowblower or see if a snowplow will get the job done? (if not, cry twice possibly) I do understand that the winters vary year to year up there. My tractor is a BX2370.

Thanks
Several people are from that neck of the woods!!! North Idaho Wolfman is from that neck of the woods, he has more posts than anyone here!:D

WHAT is your driveway made from? This would make a difference;)

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
I live south of Sandpoint near Spirit Lake. This is my fourth winter here and I've been using a front blade but just got a rear snowblower this fall. Last winter we had a lot of snow so I got the blower as a backup in case we have a lot of snow again. I plan to use it mainly to get rid of piles of snow that the plow builds up and in case we get a lot of snow (over 6" or so) at one time. So far we haven't had big dumps except for a few days ago when we got over a foot but I plowed twice so I didn't have to use the blower yet. The snow here is usually really wet and heavy so I think a front blade would be better as a primary snow mover.

I gave my L3901and previous front blade to my nephew so I had to get another blade. If you have a gravel drive, I think it's worthwhile to get a front blade that floats off the SSQA plate and also has lateral oscillation. That way you don't have to put the loader arms in float which adds the weight of the loader arms to the front blade and makes it harder to plow when the gravel isn't frozen yet. I also use a rubber edge on the front blade so the edge folds backwards and acts like a windshield wiper blade to just sweep over the unfrozen gravel. In fact, it just got cold and the gravel finally froze so I put the steel edge back on. I think I will try a poly edge next so I can plow over concrete without making a lot of noise.

My tractor with the rubber edge still on the front blade:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Afret, I think you are missing one important piece to THAT lovely machine!

I think it is calling for a CAB!!!!! Nice tractor!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is one more nasty piece of info, The temps here are in the single digits, cold cold cold.
I live just north of Sandpoint and we get more snow up here than they do in town.
From my experience (9 years here) having a Snowblower and a snow plow / blade essential for a happier winter. one or the other will leave you in a lurch.

A 4WD / AWD vehicle is a must here too! :cool:

If you need any help with things or have any town / area questions just send me a PM. ;)

Puddle

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 14, 2017
Sandpoint
Here is one more nasty piece of info, The temps here are in the single digits, cold cold cold.
I live just north of Sandpoint and we get more snow up here than they do in town.
From my experience (9 years here) having a Snowblower and a snow plow / blade essential for a happier winter. one or the other will leave you in a lurch.

A 4WD / AWD vehicle is a must here too! :cool:

If you need any help with things or have any town / area questions just send me a PM. ;)
Thank you, for the info and the offer, I will hit you up when we get to town. My wife and I are not total noobs to cold, we lived in Michigan for 3 years and another 3 years on Kodiak Island, but that was many years ago and we were much younger ;). From what I have seen, N Idaho beats em both as far as low digits. We have been visiting Sandpoint over the past 10 years, just never spent a winter there, thanks again.

Puddle

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 14, 2017
Sandpoint
I live south of Sandpoint near Spirit Lake. This is my fourth winter here and I've been using a front blade but just got a rear snowblower this fall. Last winter we had a lot of snow so I got the blower as a backup in case we have a lot of snow again. I plan to use it mainly to get rid of piles of snow that the plow builds up and in case we get a lot of snow (over 6" or so) at one time. So far we haven't had big dumps except for a few days ago when we got over a foot but I plowed twice so I didn't have to use the blower yet. The snow here is usually really wet and heavy so I think a front blade would be better as a primary snow mover.

I gave my L3901and previous front blade to my nephew so I had to get another blade. If you have a gravel drive, I think it's worthwhile to get a front blade that floats off the SSQA plate and also has lateral oscillation. That way you don't have to put the loader arms in float which adds the weight of the loader arms to the front blade and makes it harder to plow when the gravel isn't frozen yet. I also use a rubber edge on the front blade so the edge folds backwards and acts like a windshield wiper blade to just sweep over the unfrozen gravel. In fact, it just got cold and the gravel finally froze so I put the steel edge back on. I think I will try a poly edge next so I can plow over concrete without making a lot of noise.

My tractor with the rubber edge still on the front blade:
Very nice set up, thanks for the info.