Puter geeks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK today I went out for a bit,,yep Im moving not as much as I want but moving,, Anyway got back the the Dell screen was blank, you know it shuts down when not used for a bit. And it would not reboot, nope, nada, not a freeking thing,, the fan was running but no screen. I hit every button on the key board nuttin,, OK geek squad here I come, I unplugged it and got ready to go and I thought just for shits and giggles I ll plug it back in and hit the button,,,, It started right up no problems,,,so far anyway,,, SO whats up why would the removal of all power let it reboot and turning it off with the on off switch it wouldnt do nuttin,,, any ideas??? Anybody,,,,

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not really sure of the cause. But we had a similar issue with my wife's lap top I bought her a couple years ago with the win 10 operating system. I was to the point I was gonna take it out back for target practice with some buck shot :rolleyes:

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Sounds like something locked up in the power supply, or certain signals from it to the motherboard.
The front power button on computers only works if the power supply (PSU) is actually running, and providing a small amount of voltage to the power button to send to the motherboard to "start". The power supply is always on, unless it is unplugged.
Possibilities are the PSU is starting to fail, or possibly some power glitch locked up something in it. Other things can be some problem with motherboard or connectors, though not as likely.
RF Interference is another possibility.

However, since nothing reset without unplugging the power, it generally points back to the PSU itself. Besides power glitches, older systems often get a lot of dust inside the PSU, or a clogged fan. In some cases, the fan is seized up, causing overheating. A good PSU will shut down if it overheats, and only pulling the power plug can reset the PSU.

Just my opinions, hard to diagnose without hands on observations....

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Brother Skeets,

I was gonna slam MicroShaft but Apple is no better these days. Time to go back to tin cans and string.

:)

"Computers: Here To Make Your Life Easier!"

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Amen if it wasnt for you guys I probably would even be on this thing. Thanks guys

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I know of a couple of printers that sometimes will not start. The fix from the manufacturers has everyone baffled but it works.

1 Unplug it from the wall
2 Open the ink drawer
3 Take the fuse out of the plug
4 Put the same fuse back into the plug
5 Plug it back into the wall
6 When it tells you the ink drawer is open, close it
7 Everything back to normal for maybe a few months

If you don't do step 3 + 4 it doesn't work. Figure that out :eek:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I call Shotgun!! That is Shotgun at 5 paces aimed at the Puter!!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - do you have Windows 10 on the 'puter?

I had a problem after an update....screen was black...

Damned if I remember how I fixed it.. something about Task Manager.

I got it back, and was kinda proud of myself! Technology isn't my strong suit either.....:eek:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One thing that will work most times is just hold the power button down for a long time. It generally will get the computer to shut down.

You didn’t say if you have a laptop or desktop computer you have trouble with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes it is 10 and yes it is a desk top,, oh well it is working right now so we shall see what the morning brings
Thanks much guys

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
You think that’s bad you should see the new work station my employer sent me for my home office. A small dell laptop, huge dual monitors, a dock to plug everything into, a few other pieces and roughly a country mile’s worth of cables. I’m only 30 and it took me a solid hour, 3 “beverages”, and many cuss words to get the pewter and everything to work... with printed out instructions lol.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Go in to your settings and see what the power saving is set to do. On the computer AND on the monitor. Some of these new monitors have their own power savings settings that may kick in as well. I hardly use my PC with Windows 10 on it any more. Inherited my father in law's iMAC and I use it for just about everything these days. The last time I used the PC was to update my GPS and credit card info on the PA EZ Pass site since they only understand a Microsoft browser... Had been over a year since I powered it on. Had to wait a few hours for all the MS patches to update.

Just got a new laptop for work and I spent a good two days getting things set back up, changing power savings / hibernation/sleep settings, till it acts like my old laptop. Think I may have it figured out now.

Working with IT all day every day makes coming home and playing with the Orange all the more enjoyable.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
Anyone with a non-responsive laptop most times removing the battery for about 30 seconds(lets the capacitors drain charge) and reinstalling the battery will bring your laptop back to a usable state.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Skeets, we just bought 75 Dell OptiPlex desktop systems with windows 10. We have not deployed all these machines but of the ones we have, 7 of them have the issue you describe. You can try going to support.dell.com....Once there you will have an option to key your service tag to get updates for your machine. When you cold boot your machine and the Dell splash screen appears you should see what bios level your system is at. Check it against what is on the Dell download and upgrades site. It doesn't hurt to keep your bios at the current level. There may also be some firmware updates available for various hard drives and solid state drives. If you're not sure what firmware update you need the system will tell you when you try to install it. Lastly make sure you're current on widows updates......good luck

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets, we just bought 75 Dell OptiPlex desktop systems with windows 10. We have not deployed all these machines but of the ones we have, 7 of them have the issue you describe. You can try going to support.dell.com....Once there you will have an option to key your service tag to get updates for your machine. When you cold boot your machine and the Dell splash screen appears you should see what bios level your system is at. Check it against what is on the Dell download and upgrades site. It doesn't hurt to keep your bios at the current level. There may also be some firmware updates available for various hard drives and solid state drives. If you're not sure what firmware update you need the system will tell you when you try to install it. Lastly make sure you're current on widows updates......good luck
Wow - - I wish I understood 25% of that. Believe me, I'm not being disrespectful at all. It's just so tough to explain the stuff over the web to guys like skeets and me. I'm an idiot for this stuff....skeets has GOT to be smarter than me.:eek: The GREAT thing is that others will understand and fix their own problems! :D

I do keep current on Windows updates. That part I understood, and caused my problem a while back with the black screen...somehow I got to Task Manager and typed in "explorer.exe" FIXED!... :cool: I thought I was going to have to buy another computer, but found a suggestion on the internet from my phone.

I really appreciate your expertise. My tech-experienced son-in-law gets here a couple times a year...I feel bad because we always flood him with problems.. he is great about helping, and will often say "I'll be there at Christmas, we'll look then.." I now know to ask him about the bios.. whatever that is...it'll freak him out when I use the term "bios"..:cool:

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I know of a couple of printers that sometimes will not start. The fix from the manufacturers has everyone baffled but it works
:
I had a HP printer that wouldn't respond. The "help" line told me to unplug the printer, then hold down the power button for 10 seconds to discharge the capacitors. That actually worked.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I had a HP printer that wouldn't respond. The "help" line told me to unplug the printer, then hold down the power button for 10 seconds to discharge the capacitors. That actually worked.
That works on desktops and laptops as well.
On a laptop pull the battery and plug.

Ray