Pull type leveling box scraper land leveler

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have found many names for this pull type box blade and I was wondering if any one used it to redo a football field. I have a L2501 and the short wheelbase makes for a lot of work to trying to remove the highs and lows.

I plan on tilling the field and then using the pull type box blade then sodding the field.

Any ideas or insights are appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Re: Leveling box scraper[IMG]https://www.jpsfabrications.com/product/hydraulic-box-bl

Not to be rude but the tractor at hand is going to take a very long time to do. Any other options?

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Re: Leveling box scraper[IMG]https://www.jpsfabrications.com/product/hydraulic-box-bl

New Holland TL 80A Cab. I took care of 9 acres with a Cub so a L2501 is a nice step up. I have no problem working slow and steady to get a job done correctly as the TL 80 is to tall and wide for a lot of the jobs I do.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hi BigG
I agree...time is a pretty subjective word and its length varies depending on what you yourself considers short or too long to be justified. I have an older JD750 (17 HP at the PTO) and that little tractor did more work for me than you can shake a stick at. I would till a 3 acre sweet corn patch in an easy afternoon with it. I now also have a Kubota B2650 and just roto tilled an empty 2.5 acre lot in well under 3 hours. I plan to level it later this coming week either with a box blade or a land plane. When I used the box blade previously with the older tractor I would pull an I beam behind the blade and then by itself for the final smoothing. It worked quite well. Prepared many a residential lot for a seedbed that way! The new B2650 far outshines the old JD750MFWD tractor.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's a few pics of the land plane I built. I robbed the cutting edges and the hitch set up off of my 5 foot box blade and used those pieces to build a land plane. I can bolt the pieces back on the box blade if and when I need to use that implement again. The land plane works wonders on my gravel road and large parking area and pulls as easy as can be. I had some scrap heavy channel iron that I used for the sides of the plane and a couple of pieces of angle iron as mounts for the cutting edges. The pics kind of explain themselves. Next will be to sandblast it and paint it Kubota orange.

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I’ll second using a land plane. It planes the surface and redistributes the material into the low spots, by altering your path , side to side, then front to back, even on a diagonal you will do a great leveling job.
Look at how an Auto body tech straightens a dented panel to make it smooth as glass. Going at it from all directions makes it smooth

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The only problem I see is that it's hooked to a green machine:) The real question is how's the sharpie population doing?
:) I only had the green machine when I fabbed this thing together a couple of years ago. But after 35 years of hard use it was showing its age a little bit. I happened to see that shiny new orange machine and couldn't resist! :D At least now I can paint it Kubota orange for my new mechanical steed and keep it hidden from the old green machine.

The sharpies have disappeared almost from the Red River Valley due to the lack of CRP land lately. They're still found west of here all over the state especially along the Missouri river grasslands. A little too far for a weekend hunting trip, though, unfortunately. Like the sharpies, we used to see a lot of pheasants around here but they're scarce in this area now too. But there's still far too many white tail deer around for putting meat in the freezer. :D

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I wish to thank you all for your replies. I was hoping to fine some information when comparing the land plane to a land leveler. It seams most of the videos of the land plane are doing gravel roads. I find that in many of the yards I need to level there is a pile of dirt involved and the plane does not seam to move large quantities of the dirt as it makes it level. That is why I was interested in the land leveler. My thinking was it might be advantageous to use the leveler as it could move the high areas to the low ones. And with the longer length of the leveler, the choppiness from the short wheelbase of the tractor, might be minimized.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wish to thank you all for your replies. I was hoping to fine some information when comparing the land plane to a land leveler. It seams most of the videos of the land plane are doing gravel roads. I find that in many of the yards I need to level there is a pile of dirt involved and the plane does not seam to move large quantities of the dirt as it makes it level. That is why I was interested in the land leveler. My thinking was it might be advantageous to use the leveler as it could move the high areas to the low ones. And with the longer length of the leveler, the choppiness from the short wheelbase of the tractor, might be minimized.
A land plane will level dirt, I know because I did my foundation pad with it, the entire pad was within an inch or so all around, made it really easy to get final grade on it. ;)
If you get a model with ripper teeth it will speed up the process.
You will get varied results if you have grass clumps. ;)

If you have large over several inches ( like a foot ) of difference, then yes a land leveler might serve you better, check with local rental yards, to see if you can rent one as they are pretty pricey for a good one.

Last edited: