PTO Wood Chipper

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nothing beats rapid oxidation promoted by an accelerant. I pile it up until it's a big pile, add some used motor oil and a match and let it go...

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
A 3-point PTO chipper vs. a standalone, why would you choose one over another?

I'm looking at getting one, but I'm not sure I want a PTO one. It would mostly stay in one place, where I do my composting. But from what I've read here, it seems like the PTO one gives more capacity and power for the price? (That would make sense since you don't pay for the engine)

What should you consider when deciding on what to get? (that hasn't already been covered)

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN

I'm looking at getting one, but I'm not sure I want a PTO one. It would mostly stay in one place, where I do my composting. But from what I've read here, it seems like the PTO one gives more capacity and power for the price? (That would make sense since you don't pay for the engine)

What should you consider when deciding on what to get? (that hasn't already been covered)
If you're using it a lot and want to use your tractor at the same time ie for the grapple the stand alone has merit. If you don't need the tractor at the same time and don't want another engine to maintain the PTO driven unit becomes more practical.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
YUP... another motor to maintain & something else to sit in the way for a separate one...

vs i take the tractor to the spot im gonna use it anyway & its already ready to use.

when not using it? i stick it on the shelf in my lean-to out of the way.

only bad thing about a PTO version is you are putting hours on your tractor when its running.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

I'd prefer a 12" diesel self powered autofeed unit. For the amount of chipping I do it isn't cost effective.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I've pondered a wood chipper a few times and the one thing that always pops into my head: why turn good firewood into mulch?

I would want the bigger unit because that's just how my brain works, but then I think I'd prefer to cut most of the larger stuff into firewood and only chip the smaller stuff, meaning I'd have a way bigger chipper than I really need.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I've pondered a wood chipper a few times and the one thing that always pops into my head: why turn good firewood into mulch?

I would want the bigger unit because that's just how my brain works, but then I think I'd prefer to cut most of the larger stuff into firewood and only chip the smaller stuff, meaning I'd have a way bigger chipper than I really need.
Bigger units with power feed handles large branches without having to cut them up. I want less work not more.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Advantages of standalone: mobility and possibly capacity.

A stand alone unit is highly preferable if you’re running a tree service. That requires traveling to a customer’s location, chipping as much of the tree as possible into the back of a truck, and leaving with the chips; all in as efficient a manner as practical. With a stand alone unit, all you do to set up is park the truck, aim the discharge chute, and start the engine. Obviously towing a tractor with a chipper mounted on it would be much less efficient.

If you need more capacity than your tractor PTO HP can handle you’d either need a stand alone or get a bigger tractor.

Other than how they’re powered and transported there’s no difference in a stand-alone and a PTO unit.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada

Ditto. Any wood over 4" goes for firewood around here anyway. Plus my 19.5 HP pto will only handle chipping up to about 4" anyway.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Ditto. Any wood over 4" goes for firewood around here anyway. Plus my 19.5 HP pto will only handle chipping up to about 4" anyway.
The advantage of the larger chipper is not that it ‘can’ take larger sticks, its also that sticks and limbs are never straight and full of crotches and Y’s. With the bigger capacity machine you can stuff all that crooked material through without having to trim it down. Or not limb small trees at all. I haven’t put much bigger then 4-5” stuff though my 8” capacity chipper. But a 4” balsam with the limbs on will barely go through sometimes, but not having to saw any limbs off sure saves time.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
The advantage of the larger chipper is not that it ‘can’ take larger sticks, its also that sticks and limbs are never straight and full of crotches and Y’s. With the bigger capacity machine you can stuff all that crooked material through without having to trim it down. Or not limb small trees at all. I haven’t put much bigger then 4-5” stuff though my 8” capacity chipper. But a 4” balsam with the limbs on will barely go through sometimes, but not having to saw any limbs off sure saves time.
My tractor hp is at the bottom of the range for the WC68 so anything larger would be a waste and probably harmful to my tractor imo.
Much over 4" depending on the wood will over tax the tractor anyway. The way I see it, this chipper should last a very long time.
The variable-rate hydraulic infeed is quite good at pulling branches and tree tops through, and if it stalls i can usually give the wood a nudge and off it goes. By now I know pretty well what won't make it, and trim those branches.
But it's very satisfying when you lift a 4" at the base 30 ft long poplar tree up into the chute and it gets grabbed and the whole thing goes through. Lots of time to scope out the next load.

Meeks

Equipment
B2601 2019, fel, rotary mower 48”, pallet forks
Jun 6, 2020
Oregon
One thing I learned is if you look at the hp of your PTO and compare it to an equal hp stand-alone chipper engine that’s a big engine and a significant cost jump.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My tractor hp is at the bottom of the range for the WC68 so anything larger would be a waste and probably harmful to my tractor imo.
Much over 4" depending on the wood will over tax the tractor anyway. The way I see it, this chipper should last a very long time.
The variable-rate hydraulic infeed is quite good at pulling branches and tree tops through, and if it stalls i can usually give the wood a nudge and off it goes. By now I know pretty well what won't make it, and trim those branches.
But it's very satisfying when you lift a 4" at the base 30 ft long poplar tree up into the chute and it gets grabbed and the whole thing goes through. Lots of time to scope out the next load.
Not likely to hurt your tractor, but you will probably run out of horsepower if the chipper's too big, or more correctly, if whatever you're feeding the chipper is too big. If all you're feeding it is brush (<4"), what does it matter how big the opening is. Feed it just like you would a smaller chipper, recognizing, of course that you may not have to cut up as many brush tops. Typically, one with a larger opening is also going to have a stronger draft, and blow the chips a little farther out.

If you want something that runs faster than 540 RPM, you might consider one of the hydraulic models that runs off a PTO driven pump with separate oil reserve. That will keep a lot of heat out of your tractor oil.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Not likely to hurt your tractor, but you will probably run out of horsepower if the chipper's too big, or more correctly, if whatever you're feeding the chipper is too big. If all you're feeding it is brush (<4"), what does it matter how big the opening is. Feed it just like you would a smaller chipper, recognizing, of course that you may not have to cut up as many brush tops. Typically, one with a larger opening is also going to have a stronger draft, and blow the chips a little farther out.

If you want something that runs faster than 540 RPM, you might consider one of the hydraulic models that runs off a PTO driven pump with separate oil reserve. That will keep a lot of heat out of your tractor oil.
I'm very happy with my tractor/chipper combo. Just right for my needs!

Kerry Road Orange

Equipment
B2650 L3800
Dec 20, 2020
Manistee Michigan
Took delivery on a Woodland Mills in late Nov. running it on the L3800. Have run 5” poplar and 5” pine through it. I burn hardwood that size in the shop stove. The quality of this machine is excellent and the design is well engineered. No regrets in buying this. Cleaned up lots of limbs before the snow hit.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I'm very happy with my tractor/chipper combo. Just right for my needs!
I've been looking at a LOT of different brands, and so far, the mechanicals and construction of the Woodland Mills products seems a few notches above anyone else. And the pricing is very competitive, if not one of the lowest for similar size and feature equipment. I compared one at similar price from another brand, and the features and quality didn't even come close. I also looked at their sawmills. Same thing, quality/construction a few notches above the rest for the same price, or maybe even a couple hundred less. I guess if you make a good product and sell lots of them, you don't have to gouge your customer as hard? What a concept.

Reactions: 1 users