PTO Wood Chipper

shniggysaurus

Feb 15, 2020
MS
I'm looking to purchase a wood chipper for the back of my mx5800. My local dealer sells the land pride wc1504 for $3300. It has the 4 inch capacity and doesn't look all that impressive compared to some of the others I see online. I'm looking at the woodland mills with 6" capacity and the woodmaxx 8". Both of those are cheaper online and seem to have more bulk to them.

If anyone has a recommendation on a chipper I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I have the woodland mills logging trailer and have been looking at getting the chipper. I dont have first hand experience with the chipper but the trailer is really well built and solid. There is a thread on here that talks about those two brands here

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
ive got a thread here on my chipper...

as big as your tractor is ? you cold go up a couple sizes.

heres the link : https://www.palletforks.com/search?q=chipper&lang=default

ive got the 42bx on my 40hp tractor.. it works great on there & eats some pretty good size wood.

very affordable & most guys here on the site can tell you that Titan makes good stuff & stands behind it really well.

but i do like woodlandmills & have their stumpgrinder! another very solid outfit!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have a BearCat chipper/shredder that was purchased almost 30 yrs ago. It's built like a tank. They're made very close to home so that also influenced my decision with no shipping costs involved. I have the smaller 5" version, pto driven.

Here's a link to their pto models to compare with others.

http://www.bearcatproducts.com/Products/PTOMachines

Woodland Mills makes some mighty nice, heavy duty implements also.

Regards,
David

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
I'm using a Woodmaxx VM-8H hydraulic feed chipper. Has a 8 inch capacity. My MX5200 has no issues driving it at all which an 8 inch log disappears in the hole. No issues at all.

Reactions: 1 user

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I also have the woodmax vm-8 h. It does a great job. The only other chipper I would consider is the Wallenstien brand. I like the way they break open for cleaning and blade changes.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have a WoodMaxx 9900 with hydraulic feed and use it on my tractors, MX5800, L3200 and L3901.

This chipper is a beast and is extremely productive. I cut a lot of 4-5" diameter trees along my 5 miles of woodland trails on my land, this chipper self feeds these trees that are 16 -20' tall.

I spend many days a year with my chipper, I cannot say enough positive things about this model or Woodmaxx who give great support. I went to Woodmaxx for a 72" snow blower and have another great product from them.

Good luck in your selection.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I have the Woodmax 8H chipper. It has been a great machine so far for me. I used to have a large, tow-behind diesel chipper in a former life. I am not disappointed in the smaller Woodmax. I opted for the higher quality PTO shaft with the quick connect coupling. Very satisfied with that as well. Whatever you buy, make sure that you get a hydraulic feed machine. The only disappointment I had with Woodmax was that shipping was to a truck terminal that is 2 hours away from my house. But that is an issue of living in the middle of nowhere in the mountains!

Jack

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Keep in mind that the knives will get dull and I sharpen them (see my add, it's a sticky).

Candidly, I sold my chipper last year and got what I paid for it. I find it much easier to roast my brush and limbs. Besides, I'm a pyro.

Been sharpening chipper knives for years for commercial tree companies. All done on a surface grinder with a tilting table so I can sharpen at the OEM angle or any angle you prefer.

Meeks

Equipment
B2601 2019, fel, rotary mower 48”, pallet forks
Jun 6, 2020
Oregon
Hi there. I‘m looking at purchasing from a neighbor a 10 year old used Bearcat Chipper/Shredder 70554 which looks to be similar to their current SC5540. I imagine using it a few times a year for short periods of time. Just don’t want to bother burning what amounts to a few bucket loads of small limbs every 3 months or so.

I have a new Kubota B2601 which has a 19.5HP PTO. The chipper is rated for 5” branches (not sure at what PTO HP) but from what I can figure out online I would imagine with the lesser PTO HP on my tractor that maybe 3” or so is what could be successfully chipped. That would be fine for my purposes.

Thoughts for this newbie to tractors in general and wood chippers in particular as to whether this chipper will work well with my tractor given my needs? And any and all other advice is welcome too!

Thank you in advance.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I bought a cheapo chinesium 8 inch chipper. Here's my recommendations:
1. Get a unit with power infeed rollers
2. Make sure the outlet chute is on a swivel and you can swing it 360 degrees
3. Get the heaviest machine you can
4. Make sure the grease points are all accessible without having to remove all the safety covers
5. How easy is it to remove safety covers and the chute to un-clog the chipper
6. How easy is it to access the chipper knives
7. How easy is it to operate the controls, change roller direction
8. Pay attention to bearings used, flywheel weight, belts used.
9. If you don't mind breakdowns every 15 minutes and enjoy field assembly then get a cheapo chinesium chipper.
10. If you are like me and want less time cutting up branches to fit you chipper, make sure the infeed throat can handle the types of trees you are chipping regularly. i.e. stringy trees (dogwood, willow, choke cherry) or wide branching ones (dogwood, apple, austrian pine) don't chip well on my machine.

My #1 recommendation would be to rent a commercial self powered diesel 12"+ chipper first and check out how its built and operates before dropping your cash.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Have to '2nd', mikester about renting one ! If you 'prestage' the limbs/brush ,2-3 guys can 'process' a LOT of material in short order. Guy up the road has done this for years,says he's still ahead of buying one and doesn't have to store/maintain the chipper OR loan it out !! Seems his wife KNOWS where all the 'mulch pile' will be used....hmmmmm

Reactions: 2 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Thoughts for this newbie to tractors in general and wood chippers in particular as to whether this chipper will work well with my tractor given my needs? And any and all other advice is welcome too!
I have that same chipper rebranded as a Bush Hog model. 23.5 hp @ pto and I don't think you'll have a problem @ 19hp... Depending on what you are chipping!!!

Softwoods like pine are never a problem. You do have to feed each branch in. I've chipped whole trees and it's a chore. Does it have the blower? My biggest issue is constantly having to move the chipper since I don't have the blower and the chips fall straight down.

I have not used the chipper in a while... I've gone to brush piles in a couple locations for wildlife (wife's idea, not mind.) It's quick and out of my sight with very little effort!

They are extremely loud... and chunks fly... Eye protection and hearing protection are a must have!!!

Meeks

Equipment
B2601 2019, fel, rotary mower 48”, pallet forks
Jun 6, 2020
Oregon
Thank you all for your replies! Very helpful!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Long time ago I ran a commercial tow behind. Don’t recall the brand. Recall it was big, white, had a 110hp JD diesel and would chip a 12” log. Now have a Woodland Mills WC68. Only differences between them is size and one goes behind a CUT and the other behind a ton and a half dump truck (at least that’s what we used).

Have probably 50hr or so on the WC68. Have been pleasantly impressed with performance and build quality as it’s price was pretty reasonable compared to similar sized competitors.

Easy one bolt access to get into for maintenance/unclogging (rare but happens). Grease points all easily accessible. Only one infeed roller. Some have two.

The big old white JD from back in the day had two rollers. Really don’t see any difference in feed performance. Either one takes a little practice to start a max capacity feed. Nothing bad to say about it. Reading the other posts doesn’t sound like you can go wrong so long as you don’t get some off brand Chinese something and definitely get hydraulic feed.
ECF7A25D-D752-4F2E-A5A9-7E65C6643F5A.jpeg
AE9B2453-944A-4642-B1B1-FB5A6A5C0B07.jpeg
AE9B2453-944A-4642-B1B1-FB5A6A5C0B07.jpeg

Bucky Badger

Equipment
BX2660
Mar 17, 2017
Madison
Long time ago I ran a commercial tow behind. Don’t recall the brand. Recall it was big, white, had a 110hp JD diesel and would chip a 12” log. Now have a Woodland Mills WC68. Only differences between them is size and one goes behind a CUT and the other behind a ton and a half dump truck (at least that’s what we used).

Have probably 50hr or so on the WC68. Have been pleasantly impressed with performance and build quality as it’s price was pretty reasonable compared to similar sized competitors.

Easy one bolt access to get into for maintenance/unclogging (rare but happens). Grease points all easily accessible. Only one infeed roller. Some have two.

The big old white JD from back in the day had two rollers. Really don’t see any difference in feed performance. Either one takes a little practice to start a max capacity feed. Nothing bad to say about it. Reading the other posts doesn’t sound like you can go wrong so long as you don’t get some off brand Chinese something and definitely get hydraulic feed.
View attachment 51610 View attachment 51611 View attachment 51611
I just watched the video from the MFG website, pretty impressive machines. I have my eye on the 4 incher

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Keep in mind that the knives will get dull and I sharpen them (see my add, it's a sticky).

Candidly, I sold my chipper last year and got what I paid for it. I find it much easier to roast my brush and limbs. Besides, I'm a pyro.

Been sharpening chipper knives for years for commercial tree companies. All done on a surface grinder with a tilting table so I can sharpen at the OEM angle or any angle you prefer.
As much as I enjoy new equipment I always felt a chipper would slow me down. I delight in burning the debris and splitting the large pieces with my super split log splitter. Tomorrow I plan to cut down an old large diseased maple. It will take all day . The accompanying bonfire will warm my hillbilly heart .I look forward to it.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
As much as I enjoy new equipment I always felt a chipper would slow me down. I delight in burning the debris and splitting the large pieces with my super split log splitter. Tomorrow I plan to cut down an old large diseased maple. It will take all day . The accompanying bonfire will warm my hillbilly heart .I look forward to it.
Do not forget the hot dogs and the marsh mellows and a few good friends...