PTO speed

dew

Equipment
l200 kubota,bushog,rear scraper blade and carryall.
Nov 28, 2013
elizabethtown,ky. usa
I have a l200 my PTO speed is 650 but my brush cutter is rated at 540 will it damage my tractor or brush cutter? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a l200 my PTO speed is 650 but my brush cutter is rated at 540 will it damage my tractor or brush cutter? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

How do you know that your pto is turning 650? Because that is what is showing on the tach on the dash? Or you have a device measuring the RPM's?

Running at that high of a rate does not sound like a problem until you look at the percent over revving that it is turning - spinning it at 650 is a full 20% more than you should.......

Is there not another lever that changes the PTO rpm's???? Most tractors have a multi select lever that will change the PTO speeds.

if not,

I would run the engine rpm's back a hair, if 650 is rated at the top end - I would drop back a little engine rpm, cutters are designed via BLADE tip speed, by spinning it faster, it cuts better I am sure - but if something is hit, then it will do some serious damage to a turning part of the cutter or you tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Simple answer most likely not an issue!
If your worried just run the throttle a little less. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
How do you know that your pto is turning 650? Because that is what is showing on the tach on the dash? Or you have a device measuring the RPM's?

Running at that high of a rate does not sound like a problem until you look at the percent over revving that it is turning - spinning it at 650 is a full 20% more than you should.......

Is there not another lever that changes the PTO rpm's???? Most tractors have a multi select lever that will change the PTO speeds.

if not,

I would run the engine rpm's back a hair, if 650 is rated at the top end - I would drop back a little engine rpm, cutters are designed via BLADE tip speed, by spinning it faster, it cuts better I am sure - but if something is hit, then it will do some serious damage to a turning part of the cutter or you tractor.
If I have to hay my yard, I'll put the pto in second gear and run the rpms up to the pto line on the tach. Running the finish mower around 720 rpms :p gets the blade tips spinning a little faster and cuts down on the stuff it misses :D if the grass is normal cutting height, I'll just run at 540 :D