PTO Shield

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I did not read the question to be referring to the implement plastic PTO shaft shield but the metal shield that is attached to the tractor and covers the top of the tractor's output shaft.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Might want to try one of these......

And one of these......

Converted two of my implements with these mods.......made connecting up 99% easier!!

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Most responses focus on the operator coming in contact with the spinning PTO. However, there is also the possibility of something (eg: stick) getting propelled by the PTO shaft, or failure of the u-joint. Lots of reasons for a shield.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm from the original post...
im thinking of removing the shield that is mounted over the top half of my PTO shaft

I thought he was talking about the steel plate mounted on the tractor to guard the tractor's PTO shaft. 'Over the top half'... I know the N's had screwin covers to hide/protect the tractor's PTO shaft, others have a 'section of angleiron' as a protective cover.

Now I'm thinking he means the cover on the 'front' half of the PTO shaft that connects tractor to implement.

Two totally different things. The front U-joint of the PTO shaft for my tiller is totally exposed. I simply hold the shaft up and rotate the tractor PTO shaft to get the splines to align, then slide the Ujoint forward. Click and it's good to go.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Interesting ideas of safety. I like the sign on the highway, sometimes in a work zone, that reads, "BE PREPARED TO STOP". I always thought when driving a vehicle one should be prepared to stop!

Safety is like the sign in the dentist office, "You don't need to brush all your teeth, only the ones you want to keep".

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Most responses focus on the operator coming in contact with the spinning PTO. However, there is also the possibility of something (eg: stick) getting propelled by the PTO shaft, or failure of the u-joint. Lots of reasons for a shield.

I will say that I did have my pto shaft come disconnected from the output stub once (the coupler was the pin type versus the collar type which I prefer and the only thing that saved the pto shaft was the fact that I had the pto shaft chain secured to the pto shield or the shaft would have did a 'Joe Paloka' on the back of the tractor. Was on my disc mower and the inertia of the spinning mower takes a bit of time to stop rotating the pto shaft. Since retrofitted the stub shaft end to a collar lock and removed the pin lock.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I just make it a point NEVER EVER to get off the tractor with the PTO running an implement.
I have to, part of what I do. You don't run a grain leg from the seat. You have to be off the tractcor to feed it. Same way with a pto chipper. You don't sit in the seat to operate it.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I just make it a point NEVER EVER to get off the tractor with the PTO running an implement.
This doesn't work for chippers.