PTO shaft removal

BirdTRD

Equipment
B7100
Nov 24, 2016
White Marsh, Maryland, USA
Just picked up this B7100 with a FEL installed and a B748B snow thrower attachment as a side dish. I am a tractor noob (first tractor) so I'm trying figure out how everything goes together in preparation for this winter. (my driveway is about 1000' so the snow thrower will certainly come in handy!)
I'm trying to take the front FEL pump assy off and put the snow thrower PTO clutch assy in it's place (just to test things out fitment wise) but I cannot get the FEL pump shaft to release from the engine. There is a little play (1/4" or so) when I push and pull on the shaft but that's all I get. Is there some sort of release or is there maybe a burr that's keeping it from coming out. I assume it should just pull straight out.
I'm also not certain of the condition of the coupling end of this snow thrower clutch shaft, looks like quite a bit of wear. Should I be concerned with it or does it look "normal"?
Thanks for any and all input!

Attachments

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Those chain couplers can be very difficult to get the connector link out when it is on the tractor. If you pull the radiator off it gives you room enough to pull the pump and shaft as a unit off the front of the crankshaft.
I have never installed a front pto clutch on a B7100, however something does not look right about the snowblower clutch shaft. The end should have a female spline to fit the male spline end of the crankshaft.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What Sam said!

If you are going to use the belt pulley setup you are going to have some modifications to make because the end has already been modified so it won't fit on the male splines on the crankshaft.

Easiest, quickest fix may be to modify the pulley shaft by shortening it and make it so you can use the double chain coupler on it also.

BirdTRD

Equipment
B7100
Nov 24, 2016
So theoretically, I should be able to un-bolt the FEL pump assy from the mount and slide the whole shootin' match (chain couplers, shaft and all) straight off the male spline on the crankshaft? I'm just not sure at this point how things are put together, or supposed to be put together.
I see the rear PTO is a male spline shaft, is it identical up front or am I limited to using the double chain coupling for anything that connects up there, like @D2Cat says?
Sorry for all the noob questions, just trying to sort things out!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might try a search for "front hydraulic pump splines"

You'll find something like this:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/f...=18540&highlight=front+hydraulic+pump+splines

Be careful you could be reading the rest of the night!

The splines coming off of the engine is an extension (or part of the crankshaft). When those splines get buggered up/destroyed by wear you have to get creative.

Some engines had threads tapped in the end of the crank so an flange could be bolted on and new splines were on the flange.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Need a picture of the front of the motor.
It looks like there is some type of Quick disconnect on the end of the Blower PTO shaft, and if it was used on that tractor before, there should be the female side of the disconnect on the tractor. ;)

BirdTRD

Equipment
B7100
Nov 24, 2016
Ok, so apparently the PTO shaft/clutch assembly that I had was not the right one for the snow caster (who knows what the modified end on the "wrong" one was used for) but the seller found another shaft with a 3 bolt hole flange on the end that looks like it will bolt right up to the fan pulley. Hopefully, I can get the clutch swapped over to it and the length will work, fingers crossed!
Also found the set screws on the pump side sprocket of the front chain coupling that once loosened, allowed me to slide the pump off the shaft. Then after lifting the radiator up a bit, the engine side chain coupling could clear the bottom of it and the shaft slid right off the male splines on the crankshaft.
Thanks for everyone's input on this, it helped a lot!

Attachments