Pto safety switch?

sburn518

Equipment
L3800DT, la524 loader, bushhog,box blade
May 13, 2014
Goode, Virgina
Was recently bush hogging with my l3800DT using my landpride hog and hit a really large rock and it actually stalled out the bush hog and tractor completely. Scared the hell out of me to. After getting my wits back, I checked everything out found nothing broken, held my breath and restarted the tractor. Everything running fine, and worked for another hour or so with no issues. My question is does my Kubota have a safety switch of some kind in the pto that caused the shutdown or did I possibly do some real damage. I can't find anything on it in the manual.
Thanks for any help.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Was recently bush hogging with my l3800DT using my landpride hog and hit a really large rock and it actually stalled out the bush hog and tractor completely. Scared the hell out of me to. After getting my wits back, I checked everything out found nothing broken, held my breath and restarted the tractor. Everything running fine, and worked for another hour or so with no issues. My question is does my Kubota have a safety switch of some kind in the pto that caused the shutdown or did I possibly do some real damage. I can't find anything on it in the manual.
Thanks for any help.

No safety switch - should be a shear pin somewhere along the line to prevent WHAT HAPPENED - if there is a pin - it should be about sheared in half. One hellva rock!:eek:

read your manual and see where the pin is located - if there is one!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like the rock simply loaded the tractor up bad enough to kill the engine.

The only pto safety switch I know of only keeps you from starting the engine with the pto engaged.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Same thing will happen if you set the shredder too low and hit a bump of soil or tough grass clump--or hang a chain on something that won't budge.

If you've never before run a shredder on your place you might wind up inadvertently "landscaping" the bumps and clumps into dust until you get the machine set where you want it to run.

You didn't say if your machine has a slip-clutch or shear pin. If a clutch on the driveline you need to adjust and / or lube it. If a shear pin you might now find it partially sheared or just hanging on by the pin being 'smeared' between the mating sections.

In any case, after the hit you describe, it's time to change the pin and / or confirm the correct pin is used. You don't have to have a magic pin--you might use a Grade-2 (no markings on head) bolt long enough the slick shank sticks all the way through and a NyLock nut. Keep spares on hand.

If you have an inline clutch, after getting it working, keep the clutch covered if stored outside. I cut a 5-gal bucket to saddle down over it to keep the rain off. Watch for wasps later.

Another consideration: check your machine for bent blades, one or both. Bushhog blades can do and will bend and break.

You may also now need sharpening. You can use a hand grinder but be sure to support the cutter if you don't remove the blades.

Please post back your continuing experieces so we may all learn.