PTO Possibilities and Probabilities

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
What might cause the PTO on my L3301HST stay ‘slightly’ on once I’ve disengaged it?
By ‘slightly’ on, I mean it’s not spinning unless the tractor is moving, and not at all at the same spin speed as when I’m trying to use it (engaged). And it seems more so if I’m in LOW range—don’t even think it’s moving it in M or H range when it’s supposed to be disengaged.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think you will find that to be somewhat normal. The fluid churning in the gears will create a motion that could cause it to move slightly. I would imagine if a load was placed on it - it would not spin at all.

Reactions: 2 users

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
It’s best described as the PTO is ‘turning’ in L range, as opposed to regular spinning—just happened to notice the paddle on my spreader rotating at very low speed even after I had disengaged it. It may have always been doing this and I had never noticed it previously. The PTO turning speed while disengaged, did seem to track how fast I was moving.

Last edited:

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
It’s best described as the PTO is ‘turning’ in L range, as opposed to regular spinning—just happened to notice the paddle on my spreader rotating at very low speed even after I had disengaged it. It may always been doing this and I had never noticed it previously. The PTO turning speed while disengaged, did seem to track how fast I was moving.
Pto moving on older tractors was somewhat normal. Not so much on newer tractors especially when they are engaged by an hydraulic clutch/brake. Not sure which engagement you have so that would have to be determined first.

Here is a video of an L3901 with cable activated hydraulic pto clutch. Have a look at it and maybe it applies to your model as well. Starts to talk about it at the 2 minute mark. Hope this helps!!

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model has a 100% mechanical PTO control.
There is no hydraulic clutch, no brake.
Thus it might need a slight PTO cable adjustment.
This will pull the cam away from the other side to help it from statically spinning.
Have you done a fluid change yet?
Thick fluid will help contribute to this happening.
Also cold weather will make it happen more too.

Inclosing, nothing is really wrong with anything! ;)

Reactions: 1 users

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Thank you for all your replies—it about has to be the cable adjustment NIW mentioned. I keep the spring area at the other end of the selector clean and oiled up pretty good. Wasn’t sure though if it was an ‘all or nothing’ engagement. NIW—and yup, it’s had two fluid changes so far, and was about 70 deg F outside when I observed it happening.
IMG_3108.jpeg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull the hair pin and pull the cable and see if it stops, if it does then an adjustment might be necessary.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It’s best described as the PTO is ‘turning’ in L range, as opposed to regular spinning—just happened to notice the paddle on my spreader rotating at very low speed even after I had disengaged it. It may have always been doing this and I had never noticed it previously. The PTO turning speed while disengaged, did seem to track how fast I was moving.
My l3901 does the same. Does not have any real power and I attribute it to oil drag.

Dan