Pto noise

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
I just installed my snowblower on my tractor and tried it out. When I raised the blower all the way up I heard knocking noise from pto area!
Is this because it was to high when running pto?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It may be your PTO shaft has no more room to collapse on itself, then causing a bind on everything it's attached to. Definitely not good.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
As the angle across a universal joint increases the speed of the output shaft increases and decreases twice per revolution and can cause a knocking noise. Only raise the blower as much as necessary when the PTO is driving the blower.

With two universals on a automotive drive shaft the input and output shaft remain parallel even when not perfectly aligned. The angles are equal and opposite and the speed changes cancel each other out (the input and output speeds remain the same).

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
A little more input! Is this the first time it's been hooked up and ran? Great points posted above. Also do you have two heights or positions on the blower frame where you can remove the class 1 mounting pins and change?

Pat

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Pay attention to Pat's comments about PTO shaft being too long. Others on this forum have damaged their tractors with long shafts.

I would disconnect the PTO shaft then raise the blower to full lift height, and then with one end still connected see if the shaft has room to collapse further. You should be able to collapse the shaft enough to attach the shaft to the PTO now. if you can't get the drive shat on the PTO now, it is too long.

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
As the angle across a universal joint increases the speed of the output shaft increases and decreases twice per revolution and can cause a knocking noise. Only raise the blower as much as necessary when the PTO is driving the blower.

With two universals on a automotive drive shaft the input and output shaft remain parallel even when not perfectly aligned. The angles are equal and opposite and the speed changes cancel each other out (the input and output speeds remain the same).[/QUOTE

I never thought about it when I raised it until I started to hear that noise then dropped it back down... would it have damage something in tractor?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You probably did not hurt anything, raise it half way then if no sound your fine.

PTO shafts extend out when you lift,not get shorter, so it's not an issue of the shaft being to long.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I never thought about it when I raised it until I started to hear that noise then dropped it back down... would it have damage something in tractor?
Raising the blower high enough to make a knocking noise once or twice a year by accident probably will not damage anything. Continuing do raise the blower that high would probably damage the universal joints first. Continuous operation with the blower raised too high could cause shock loading damage to gears in the tractor or blower.

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Raising the blower high enough to make a knocking noise once or twice a year by accident probably will not damage anything. Continuing do raise the blower that high would probably damage the universal joints first. Continuous operation with the blower raised too high could cause shock loading damage to gears in the tractor or blower.
Ok so I shouldn't worry about it then? Wasn't a pleasant sound, it maybe did it for 30sec before I realized what it was