PTO Driven log splitter vs. stand alone L3902HST

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
my 'vote' is for stand alone, either a complete machine or bodge the FIL's unit.
Tying up the tractor for 'just above idle' to split wood is expensive per hour especially when the DPF say's 'time up'. There's also the problem of NOT being able to use the tractor for 'tractor type stuff'. It'll happen...get splitting and someone needs you and your tractor......Murphy says so .
What isn't known are the spec for the FIL's splitter...PSI and GPM. Unless the tractor has MORE GPM and enough PSI, splitter won't work well. Provided you run a gas engine dry when done, they are reliable, not a huge problem. Stand alone also allows someone else to split while you're stacking or sitting having a brown pop....
Why di people continue to raise questions about performance?

I will bet you $20 his 3pt splitter which was originally purchased for an old TO35 is the nearly universal design with the ubiquitous 4" x 24" cylinder. Thats all the specs you need to know.

The arithmetic is simple. With a conventional LS valve the cycle time on a L3901(2) will be roughly 20 seconds and produce a splitting force of 14.75 tons. Using a regenerative valve you can shave 75% off the extend portion of the cycle time.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Why di people continue to raise questions about performance?

I will bet you $20 his 3pt splitter which was originally purchased for an old TO35 is the nearly universal design with the ubiquitous 4" x 24" cylinder. Thats all the specs you need to know.

The arithmetic is simple. With a conventional LS valve the cycle time on a L3901(2) will be roughly 20 seconds and produce a splitting force of 14.75 tons. Using a regenerative valve you can shave 75% off the extend portion of the cycle time.

Dan
Not trying to cause an argument, I'm genuinely interested. Is the cycle time of 20 seconds at 540 rpm? What engine rpm do you use to run your splitter?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
TOH, I try not to 'assume' the unknown.

Quick, what was my first log splitter cylinder ???

WRONG, it was a 6" x 22" cylinder, rated for 4000PSI, run at 3200 PSI

THAT"S why we shouldn't 'assume'.. :)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Not trying to cause an argument, I'm genuinely interested. Is the cycle time of 20 seconds at 540 rpm? What engine rpm do you use to run your splitter?
That is based on full rated pump flow which is 6.9 GPM @ 2700 RPM. If you look at the video I posted the tractor is running around 2500 RPM.

Let me correct one numver in that post. Regen does not reduce extend time by 75%. It increases flow by 75% which equates to something closer to 40% decrease in time.

Dan

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Folks -

Welllll... Went over to Garton Tractor in Ukiah (Calif) and did a "preflight" on the L3902HST that is being delivered on Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it! Our L245DT has served admirably, if intermittently, due to the foibles of PO abuse and general age - Had her out yesterday moving some brush as a last hurrah.

Okay, my question. My FIL has a 3pt Hyd Log Splitter, but it is meant to hook into the tractor's hydraulics. The tractor my FIL got it for, a Massey Ferguson TO35 doesn't HAVE hydraulics. We've used the splitter powered by a shop built hydraulic pump that is SLOW and of limited portability. He's happy with that, even though we could have purchased a full on splitter with an engine and all for another $200. Dunno... I didn't have a vote on this, so.

So, my question is - I was told that hooking the 3pt splitter to the L3902's FEL hydraulics wasn't feasible - the capacity of the system and need of additional valving were problematic. Okay, fine.

Do I try to fab up a PTO driven hydraulic pump and reservoir to attach to the 3pt with the log splitter, or do I say to hell with it, and simply buy a stand alone unit? I could probably do the PTO hydraulic set up for less $, but it would be yet another fab job and "thing to do" on my already-full punch list. I have 20 acres of walnut to split and that's more important that building a log splitter.

Is there a hack or some method that the 3pt splitter can be hooked into the FEL control valve body or ???

The argument for the PTO setup is that it's cheaper; against, is that it's more monkeying around and may not be the best use of putting hours on the tractor. The argument for a stand alone splitter is that I put gas in it, check the oil and go on my way. I can get it into places that I might not get easily with the tractor, and it can be easily towed to another location if needed. The argument against is that I'd be spending more $$ for a stand alone, and then I have somewhat of a white elephant with a 3pt splitter that I am not going to use with the tractor.

Those are the horns of a dilemma upon which I sit. I am very much interested in your input, observations and feedback.

Selah,

John Moorhead
L3902HST (as of Tuesday!!)
L245DT (until Tuesday!)
Massey Furguson TO35
Ford 9N
BMW 2002tii
I like my standalone log splitter so I can use the tractor to get the trees close to the splitter. Then cut them to length.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Folks -

Welllll... Went over to Garton Tractor in Ukiah (Calif) and did a "preflight" on the L3902HST that is being delivered on Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it! Our L245DT has served admirably, if intermittently, due to the foibles of PO abuse and general age - Had her out yesterday moving some brush as a last hurrah.

Okay, my question. My FIL has a 3pt Hyd Log Splitter, but it is meant to hook into the tractor's hydraulics. The tractor my FIL got it for, a Massey Ferguson TO35 doesn't HAVE hydraulics. We've used the splitter powered by a shop built hydraulic pump that is SLOW and of limited portability. He's happy with that, even though we could have purchased a full on splitter with an engine and all for another $200. Dunno... I didn't have a vote on this, so.

So, my question is - I was told that hooking the 3pt splitter to the L3902's FEL hydraulics wasn't feasible - the capacity of the system and need of additional valving were problematic. Okay, fine.

Do I try to fab up a PTO driven hydraulic pump and reservoir to attach to the 3pt with the log splitter, or do I say to hell with it, and simply buy a stand alone unit? I could probably do the PTO hydraulic set up for less $, but it would be yet another fab job and "thing to do" on my already-full punch list. I have 20 acres of walnut to split and that's more important that building a log splitter.

Is there a hack or some method that the 3pt splitter can be hooked into the FEL control valve body or ???

The argument for the PTO setup is that it's cheaper; against, is that it's more monkeying around and may not be the best use of putting hours on the tractor. The argument for a stand alone splitter is that I put gas in it, check the oil and go on my way. I can get it into places that I might not get easily with the tractor, and it can be easily towed to another location if needed. The argument against is that I'd be spending more $$ for a stand alone, and then I have somewhat of a white elephant with a 3pt splitter that I am not going to use with the tractor.

Those are the horns of a dilemma upon which I sit. I am very much interested in your input, observations and feedback.

Selah,

John Moorhead
L245DT (until Tuesday!)
Massey Furguson TO35
Ford 9N
BMW 2002tii

GBJeffOH

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Folks -

Selah,

John Moorhead
L245DT (until Tuesday!)
Massey Furguson TO35
Ford 9N
BMW 2002tii
I use the tractor when I am cutting wood.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
I went through this same decision process 4 years ago

The wife was buying me a Log Splitter for my 60th damn younger wife says I was getting too old to do it by hand hehehe

Anyways, I finally went with the stand alone,
It just works out better using the tractor to drag the logs, the bucket w/Forks to hold the log while bucking them..
Split them and move the wood into the racks using the UTV bed ..

Just seemed easier to me, cost wasn't a factor

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
That is based on full rated pump flow which is 6.9 GPM @ 2700 RPM. If you look at the video I posted the tractor is running around 2500 RPM.

Let me correct one numver in that post. Regen does not reduce extend time by 75%. It increases flow by 75% which equates to something closer to 40% decrease in time.

Dan
Why would you want to run your tractor at 2700 rpm’s to split wood? Seems like you are arguing with anyone that has a different opinion than yours about using a tractor run wood splitter. Many moons ago, we had a 4 foot wood splitter that a local welder built for us. We ran it off the tractors hydraulics. We were using 80-175 horsepower tractors on it because that’s what we had. Eventually, we added a tank and PTO pump so we could run it off from our Farmall H and not tie up the big tractors. What a huge improvement that was in performance. Even with the large tractors with large hydraulic flow, the splitter was slower than with the dedicated PTO pump. We split 600-800 cords a year to sell.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Why would you want to run your tractor at 2700 rpm’s to split wood? Seems like you are arguing with anyone that has a different opinion than yours about using a tractor run wood splitter. Many moons ago, we had a 4 foot wood splitter that a local welder built for us. We ran it off the tractors hydraulics. We were using 80-175 horsepower tractors on it because that’s what we had. Eventually, we added a tank and PTO pump so we could run it off from our Farmall H and not tie up the big tractors. What a huge improvement that was in performance. Even with the large tractors with large hydraulic flow, the splitter was slower than with the dedicated PTO pump. We split 600-800 cords a year to sell.
I have been petfectly clear. I am not arguing about what anyone "wants" , "prefers", "needs" or "opines". I am simply providing the performance data of a typical 3pt logsplitter powered by 7GPM tractor hydraulics.

Thats a real simple fact not opinion- 15 second cycle time and 15tons splitting force at the same engine speed you would use with your 3pt mower.

Dan

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, found this...

seems a 7hp gas engine will give you 20t at 14 seconds, complete, towable for 1200 Canucks.

? for BAP
'600-800 cords'
are you talking real cords or 'face' cords ? cause that's a LOT of wood to cut and split.
one of those 'size matters'.

saw a nice setup... logsplitter mounted onto the tongue of a guys dump trailer, had a Pintle hitch so no one borrowed it....hehehehe...

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
My thought on this topic is, how will you transport the split wood. I use my tractor bucket and rear carry all box for this task.

It's very nice to split the wood and then put it in the delivery vehicle, instead of having to put it back on the ground, and then touching it (lifting it up) another time.

With that, my vote is the standalone unit.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My thought on this topic is, how will you transport the split wood. I use my tractor bucket and rear carry all box for this task.

It's very nice to split the wood and then put it in the delivery vehicle, instead of having to put it back on the ground, and then touching it (lifting it up) another time.

With that, my vote is the standalone unit.
I hesitate to head down this path but....

The bucket is readily available and I use it to transport splits and rounds or use the grapple to position and/or buck logs as a matter of course.

If loading or splitting larger quantities the splits,/logs are:

a) loaded directly into the bed of my 4wd pickup parked next to the splitter.

b) loaded directly into the bed of a landscape trailer parked next to the splitter

c) Both a) and b) simultaneously.

I split 5+ cords per year - its nothing compared to the hours of other usage the tractor sees.

Dan

Last edited:

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I hesitate to head down this path but....

The bucket is readily available and I use it to transport splits and rounds or use the grapple to position and/or buck logs as a matter of course.

If loading or splitting larger quantities the splits,/logs are:

a) loaded directly into the bed of my 4wd pickup parked next to the splitter.

b) loaded directly into the bed of a landscape trailer parked next to the splitter

c) Both a) and b) simultaneously.

I split 5+ cords per year - its nothing compared to the hours of other usage the tractor sees.

Dan
How can you split at the PTO and load into the bucket without walking to the front of the tractor? I mean if COURSE you can do that, but it's extra steps.

And yes, there are many other choices one can use as a load vehicle. If you have a small area/a helper... not a big deal. If you are by yourself you might have to walk a bit to get that second vehicle.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
How can you split at the PTO and load into the bucket without walking to the front of the tractor? I mean if COURSE you can do that, but it's extra steps.

And yes, there are many other choices one can use as a load vehicle. If you have a small area/a helper... not a big deal. If you are by yourself you might have to walk a bit to get that second vehicle.
I did not say I could load directly into the bucket. Normal practice would be to split into a loose pile next to the tractor then load and transport as many buckets as needed.

In general i split as needed. A bucket load goes straight to my porch for the fireplace and I throw a tarp over the pile and the remainder stays covered where it fell until its needed. Often its just a cleanup of a gift Mother Nature dropped for me. This is one of a number of piles I processed last year. All deadfall dropped in my "front yard". It was split and left to be hauled back to the house as needed. Tractor goes down that lane at least twice a week with trash/recycling and typically more so its easy to grab a bucketfull on the return trip.

20220212_141739.jpg

If splitting for long term stacking and storage (IMO unneeded work and something I dont generally do) I can and do load directly into the truck and/or trailer. It does not require a helper but yes I have to walk to fetch/return the second vehicle. In my case thats a 1-2 minute trek.

This works fine for me and probably many others. Your needs and preferences may well vary. If you have a different preference or need I am not going to tell you you are wrong anymore than I am going to tell you your choice of chassis grease is wrong.

All I ask is people acknowledge and respect other's opinions and choices. There is no right or wrong here.

Dan

Last edited:

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
Your needs and preferences may vary. If you have a different preference or need I am not going to tell you you are wrong. Please afford others that courtesy.
Dan
I don't think I ever said you or your preferences were "wrong".

I was ever only pointing out a scenario. For me, one transport vehicle, with a decoupled standalone splitter, has its advantages.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I was ever only pointing out a scenario. For me, one transport vehicle, with a decoupled standalone splitter, has its advantages.

I put no words in your mouth. You twice asked a question of fact and I simply answered.

Others in this thread have been less accepting so consider that comment addressed to them not you.

Dan

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I did not say I could load directly into the bucket. Normal practice would be to split into a loose pile next to the tractor then load and transport as many buckets as needed.

In general i split as needed. A bucket load goes straight to my porch for the fireplace and I throw a tarp over the pile and the remainder stays covered where it fell until its needed. Often its just a cleanup of a gift Mother Nature dropped for me. This is one of a number of piles I processed last year. All deadfall dropped in my "front yard". It was split and left to be hauled back to the house as needed. Tractor goes down that lane at least twice a week with trash/recycling and typically more so its easy to grab a bucketfull on the return trip.

View attachment 100661

If splitting for long term stacking and storage (IMO unneeded work and something I dont generally do) I can and do load directly into the truck and/or trailer. It does not require a helper but yes I have to walk to fetch/return the second vehicle. In my case thats a 1-2 minute trek.

This works fine for me and probably many others. Your needs and preferences may well vary. If you have a different preference or need I am not going to tell you you are wrong anymore than I am going to tell you your choice of chassis grease is wrong.

All I ask is people acknowledge and respect other's opinions and choices. There is no right or wrong here.

Dan
Well - now you have done it. Your picture features a Husqvarna chainsaw; the chainsaw brand argument cannot be far behind. :LOL:

As a Stihl owner (clearly the best saw - :ROFLMAO:), I do not judge others.

• Haha