Property tax

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do have a question about county property tax. And that is simply what do we get for aside from richer county employees. Really, out here in the boondocks what do you/we get? There is no fire dept, EMS, or police, the roads suck at best and why does the money stay with inthe city limits? We are required to depend on local towns for anything we need fire, EMS, or the PaSP and they could take an hour or more, to get here, been there and done that before.
Now dont get me wrong I dont mind paying my fair share, I just want to know what Im getting for my money.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Nothing at all, basically you are funding the city cancer that will continue to metastaticise and encroach on you while destroying the character and quality of everything along the way.

Reactions: 4 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I do have a question about county property tax. And that is simply what do we get for aside from richer county employees. Really, out here in the boondocks what do you/we get? There is no fire dept, EMS, or police, the roads suck at best and why does the money stay with inthe city limits? We are required to depend on local towns for anything we need fire, EMS, or the PaSP and they could take an hour or more, to get here, been there and done that before.
Now dont get me wrong I dont mind paying my fair share, I just want to know what Im getting for my money.

Arent those towns getting a portion of collected county taxes to provide those services to you?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nothing at all, basically you are funding the city cancer that will continue to metastaticise and encroach on you while destroying the character and quality of everything along the way.
The MOST productive thing that any government, federal, state or local does, is to feed itself!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Where I live, my taxes go to the township and school district. Township taxes fund the Fire/rescue district, sheriff and roads. Even though the school district is in a larger city about 20 miles away, we do not fund any other city services. If fire has a fund raiser, we go and contribute.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Your tax bill will list what each part is for and how much.
Second is you get input in how the taxes are spent by paying attention to what's going on...
For example when was the last time you went to a board meeting?
Do you research/talk to the folks running for the local offices?
An most important 1) do you vote in EVERY election 2) Do you vote for folks that are making sense and have the interest of the entire community (be it the township, City or state depending on the office). Or because they are telling you what you want to hear.
If they don't make sense or are changing their pitch/story depending on who they are talking to don't vote for them.

Bottom line we get the government we deserve.... If you don't put in any effort or care. Then you probably will end up with folks that don't care about their voters either...

Reactions: 4 users

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Second is you get input in how the taxes are spent by paying attention to what's going on...
An most important 1) do you vote in EVERY election 2) Do you vote for folks that are making sense and have the interest of the entire community (be it the township, City or state depending on the office). Or because they are telling you what you want to hear.
If they don't make sense or are changing their pitch/story depending on who they are talking to don't vote for them.

Bottom line we get the government we deserve.... If you don't put in any effort or care. Then you probably will end up with folks that don't care about their voters either...
Unfortunately not voting for the crooked politicos only works if there is a non-crooked one to vote for. When every choice is as bad as every other you end up where we are today both locally and nationally. The problem is the honest folks who care are also smart enough to know it's a shit job and that shit will get all over them no mater what they do and thus they do not run for office.

Reactions: 3 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion

My rose colored glasses fogged up years ago, it will take a lot of time but yours will as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I rest my case if your willing to give up and throw up your hands in defeat... Move to someplace that makes all your decisions for you... China, Cuba Russia are options.

If your not willing to accept bull crap and the extreme jerks on both the Right and the Left. And work to get moderates that have the interest of ALL of their voters in mind. Them you need to put in some effort. Maybe that means helping a campaign of someone that you find inspiring or maybe it means just showing up to meetings to see what's happening or even running an office....

Don't forget the first few words of our constitution are WE THE PEOPLE of the United State, In Order to form a more perfect Union...

IF NOT WE THE PEOPLE the just who in the heck do you think is going to make the USA a more perfect union...

It might not be what you want to hear but if all you want to do is bitch and moan about our government but not do anything about it them you got what you deserve.... Myself I want a return to congress in Washington that gets things done rather than the current crop of folks that are just there to line their pockets and grab attention.

One way is about 90% of the seats in the house are "safe" seats meaning the one that wins the primary is a shoo in for the general. The best defense is to eliminate gerrymandering but that is a slow process. A faster way is to vote for a sane rational person that is running. Currently pretty much on only ones that vote in primary elections all the time are the die hard party faithful be it Republican or Democrat.
Again you get what your deserve if you can't be bothered to vote then don't bitch about your choices as you did not put in any effort . Vote absentee if need be but vote. I don't care who you vote for as that's your choice. But you need to vote and you need to look up or talk to the folks your voting for to ensure that they are going to be an honest broker for your interests in the part of government they serve.

Again.... It's WE THE PEOPLE if we the people don't do anything then we will all have the the a hand in contributing to the status quo

Reactions: 3 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
My property taxes ( I live outside city limits in a large county) which do not offer any local services except that which goes to the local schools. I seldom see a county deputy just patrolling , I have a private well, septic system, no sidewalks, spotty at best road maintenance, my responsibility for trash pickup.. Would I change and move to the city, NO Way! :)

I suspect my only real benefit is the kids getting educated just enough to pass a drivers license written road test which then leads to my mailbox being destroyed once or twice a year, usually around high school graduation time. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
County taxes go to the counties not the cities.
Yes they sometimes do fund EMS, Police (Sheriff department and such,), And Hospitals within those cities in that county.
County taxes, cover all sorts of things:
Roads
Bridges
Infrastructure builds and maintenance
Road maintenance, snow / ice removal, sanding.
Road side maintenance, ditches, drainage, culverts, mowing, tree maintenance and removal.
Refuge handling (can be as simple as a dump station).
Signs, barriers, traffic and roadway lights.
Costs of having county buildings, vehicles, equipment.
And yes they pay for county employees salaries and their benefits.
and there is thousands more to this list.

While your exact location might not have some things, other parts of that same county do and yes sadly your paying for it.

Reactions: 1 users

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I rest my case if your willing to give up and throw up your hands in defeat... Move to someplace that makes all your decisions for you... China, Cuba Russia are options.

If your not willing to accept bull crap and the extreme jerks on both the Right and the Left. And work to get moderates that have the interest of ALL of their voters in mind. Them you need to put in some effort. Maybe that means helping a campaign of someone that you find inspiring or maybe it means just showing up to meetings to see what's happening or even running an office....

Don't forget the first few words of our constitution are WE THE PEOPLE of the United State, In Order to form a more perfect Union...

IF NOT WE THE PEOPLE the just who in the heck do you think is going to make the USA a more perfect union...

It might not be what you want to hear but if all you want to do is bitch and moan about our government but not do anything about it them you got what you deserve.... Myself I want a return to congress in Washington that gets things done rather than the current crop of folks that are just there to line their pockets and grab attention.

One way is about 90% of the seats in the house are "safe" seats meaning the one that wins the primary is a shoo in for the general. The best defense is to eliminate gerrymandering but that is a slow process. A faster way is to vote for a sane rational person that is running. Currently pretty much on only ones that vote in primary elections all the time are the die hard party faithful be it Republican or Democrat.
Again you get what your deserve if you can't be bothered to vote then don't bitch about your choices as you did not put in any effort . Vote absentee if need be but vote. I don't care who you vote for as that's your choice. But you need to vote and you need to look up or talk to the folks your voting for to ensure that they are going to be an honest broker for your interests in the part of government they serve.

Again.... It's WE THE PEOPLE if we the people don't do anything then we will all have the the a hand in contributing to the status quo
The corruption of the elections is worse than just voting district maps, there is also active efforts to corrupt the primaries by significant numbers of voters of a particular leaning registering as the other party for the sole purpose of voting in their primaries to try to get the least electable person selected as the candidate.

So much needs to be done to shore up and clean up the election process it is no wonder that so many do not have any faith in the process these days.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
While your exact location might not have some things, other parts of that same county do and yes sadly your paying for it.
I'm pretty anti city and anti government in general, however I am not generally anti tax. I look at what I pay in taxes each year and see what portion of the cost of something I do support or benefit from that represents.

I've yet to be able to find where *my* tax dollars have been wasted. That $30k in fed tax went to pay a tiny part of the operating costs of the weather radar that shows me the tornado aiming for me. The $6k in property tax was more than consumed in all the fresh rock and grading they just did on the short county road I'm off of.

It's easy to say "what do I get for my tax dollars", but when you dig a little you quickly see that you did indeed get something for your taxes and your taxes only covered a tiny bit of the cost.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
It doesn't matter what word you put in front of tax. Property, income, sales, wealth....

It all goes into the same pile to burn.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You have an elected county commissioner (supervisor, or whatever they call them in your area) that represents your district. They are who you should be complaining to. But I hear what you’re saying. The same thing where I live. A few years ago the people in my district had enough about the roads situation and forced the commissioner to have a local meeting. We did get some more local road work prioritized as a result.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Public school funding? (And don’t ask why if you don’t have kids so why you have to fund public education. Free Public Education is the only REAL reason America passed up the Old World.)

IF you truly are disturbed by the situation you should attend county court and ask your commissioners, county judge, and tax assessor. They should have the answer you seek.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So.... on the subject of property taxes, I stopped by the tax assessors office to see what the property taxes would be for the land we just purchased.

I had to ask her to repeat the amount just to make sure i heard her correctly.

Our projected property taxes on the land are $6.00 and some change 😂🤣😂🤣🤣

It came to just over a buck an acre.

I did ask if she was sure she didn't miss a decimel point.

That's when she printed off the assessment and gave me a copy 👍👍👍👍👍👍

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So.... on the subject of property taxes, I stopped by the tax assessors office to see what the property taxes would be for the land we just purchased.

I had to ask her to repeat the amount just to make sure i heard her correctly.

Our projected property taxes on the land are $6.00 and some change 😂🤣😂🤣🤣

It came to just over a buck an acre.

I did ask if she was sure she didn't miss a decimel point.

That's when she printed off the assessment and gave me a copy 👍👍👍👍👍👍
Don't celebrate too much, that will all change quickly. When the accessor shows up and gets his measure wheel out.... new information, new numbers! :(