pricing advice M5400

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
I have an M5400 4x4 tractor with 149 hours. It was kept inside a building for the last 10 years or longer. I dont know anything about these machines but the local dealer said put on craigs list for 35k and it will be gone. So far i haven't gotten a single response which tells me its over priced. It also has a blade attachment.loader attachment and a fork attachment. Blade and forks have never been attached.
Can i get your guys thoughts?

Attachments

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Looks to be in good shape. It was sold in 1998, so for the first 15 years, was it stored outside?

Regardless, at $35k your competition is tractors that are 2 to 5 years old. Probably mostly MXs (I know yours is an M, but the newer MXs are comparable) from what I see around here that are listed for $30-32k.

I suspect it’d sell pretty quickly for $25k and probably get some good bites and maybe a sale at $30k. $35k and it is going to sit until that one person that has to have that exact model sees it and has to have it.

Try listing it on Facebook marketplace. I hear that’s where a lot of Craigslist buyers have gone. I used to look at CL, but not nearly as many folks listing there anymore, so I don’t spend much time looking there anymore.

Check your pricing on Tractor House. Here’s one the same as yours with FEL with 466 hours that sold in April 2022 for $22k.
‘98 M5400 $22k

Last edited:

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
We bought it from the guy in 2002 and put it in storage. He kept it under a roof so now real in the weather storage. It was inside a conditioned warehouse up to a few months ago when it was brought to our attention.
Thanks for the input on pricing. I called the local dealer for the number. He didnt have room on his lot for more inventory.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Mmm, a pre-ban tractor with under 150 hours, mechanical injection and no emissions crap. Sounds like a great unit for a serious prepper.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Mmm, a pre-ban tractor with under 150 hours, mechanical injection and no emissions crap. Sounds like a great unit for a serious prepper.
West coast (Seattle?) tractors usually sell for more than everywhere else, other than maybe the Northeast.
I think that the dealer you spoke with is not far off the mark.
I would set the price at $30K,...... and hold on.
It can take time to get the exposure to find the right buyer.

EDIT: Not having noticed that it is a 1998 tractor, and is not HST, I realize that my pricing was way off.
I yield to Wolfman, with the $20K price estimate!

Last edited:

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
No clue on what it’s worth in your area but it’s a nice looking 1998. Not sure I’d have a lineup of buyers at 35000 Canadian but maybe. It’s hard to find a good comparison given the condition of yours but Nothing even close to your low 150s hrs lol. There are a boatload of guys that love those pre-emissions tractors. If the dealer told me 35k I’d probably list it for 32500 let it sit or sell then eventually take 30000.
The inner me would want to keep it and never even think of listing it for sale. From those couple pics it looks like a brand new 1998. Not something I ever see in Ontario Canada. Stupid rust

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I would love to have a pre-emissions tractor like that.

It looks nice for sure.

2 biggest down sides in my opinion are;

1. Pinned on bucket

2. No backhoe.

But I've heard there are guys who actually don't want a backhoe? 🧐

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

It looks nice for sure.

1. Pinned on bucket

2. No backhoe.

Uniformed......."guys who actually don't want a backhoe" ;)

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

It looks nice for sure.

1. Pinned on bucket

2. No backhoe.

I’m one of those guys. I use my 3ph with different implements and change often. But I seldom have a need for digging. When I do, I rent a mini-excavator.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon

It looks nice for sure.

1. Pinned on bucket

2. No backhoe.

It’s surprising how many non emission Kubotas with low hours (to me low is under 1000 hours) that a guy can find for sale if you’re looking (for a while). I like the 30 and 40 series GLs and older MXs. I’ve been sort of looking for a larger 40 series GL, and find a viable option (HST, 4WD, R1s and nice paint) now and then, and then someone buys it before I do!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I’m one of those guys. I use my 3ph with different implements and change often. But I seldom have a need for digging. When I do, I rent a mini-excavator.
J, I get it....kinda.

I know that Fried1765 and myself are "backhoe aficionados"....and there are guys who aren't.

My tractor is more of a "corvette tractor".....I don't really need it.....I clean and polish it on occasion, and like modifying it and making things for it, but I am a "self certified, Weekend Warrior" haahahah

For me personally, I get a kick out of having a backhoe, and find all kinds of sh!t to do with it.

Gonna help my SIL install a sisterne in a few days...."Heads UP..........PICS INCOMING!!!!!!!"

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It’s surprising how many non emission Kubotas with low hours (to me low is under 1000 hours) that a guy can find for sale if you’re looking (for a while). I like the 30 and 40 series GLs and older MXs. I’ve been sort of looking for a larger 40 series GL, and find a viable option (HST, 4WD, R1s and nice paint) now and then, and then someone buys it before I do!
Griz, it's a hard thing to explain....I would love a pre-emission "Big-Ole" tractor; BUT a few things would stop me.

1. I would not be able to get one in my current garage, so the "Polish Kicking Soldiers" that run our association would have a sh1t fit, and the lawsuits would be cost prohibitive.

2. I would never use my own money to buy one. (I never use my own money, I am a "strictly finance it" kinda guy)

3. I have 0% patients at looking at, or searching for, or talking to people for .......cars/trucks/tractors/boats/helicopters/tanks/whatever.....I'm a go to the dealer and just buy it kinda guy.

As soon as I get over those three things.....I'm gonna find one though..... 🍻 (y);)

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
J, I get it....kinda.

I know that Fried1765 and myself are "backhoe aficionados"....and there are guys who aren't.

My tractor is more of a "corvette tractor".....I don't really need it.....I clean and polish it on occasion, and like modifying it and making things for it, but I am a "self certified, Weekend Warrior" haahahah

For me personally, I get a kick out of having a backhoe, and find all kinds of sh!t to do with it.

Gonna help my SIL install a sisterne in a few days...."Heads UP..........PICS INCOMING!!!!!!!"
"corvette tractor"
Excellent characterization!
Because I am old......me too!

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
Im just curios . Can you guys tell me what the current model tractor would be comparing to the m5400? I am wondering what i would spend if i went to kabota to get the same machine today.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Im just curios . Can you guys tell me what the current model tractor would be comparing to the m5400? I am wondering what i would spend if i went to kabota to get the same machine today.
M6060 is the closest M series. I think the MX6000 or MX5400 would also be comparable, if not more so.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your going to have a hard time moving a tractor like that in your market.
Move it on the other side of the mountains or way far east, and you might get some hits.
Main problems on a sale:
It's OLD, farmers and ranchers don't want it because it's getting hard to get parts and people to work on these old tractors.
City folks don't want it as it's too big.
It's also a manual and most want an HST for loader tasks.
Contractors don't want it because it's not as capable as a skid steer or a track loader.

I realize it's got low hours and looks good, but it's not a Porsche, corvette or even an old muscle car, so it being old, just makes it an old tractor.
And your trying to get new tractor prices for a simple OLD tractor!
While it's a nice looking unit your looking at a max $20k tractor not a $35K tractor.

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
Thanks for the insight. Fortunately this is just a surplus machine and the price is not going to concern anyone here. The 35k came from the dealer and it sounds like it is to high. I don't really care if the price is even 20k as we just dont have any use for it. It was purchased as a piece of equipment in a real estate sale and the guy had two of them so we left one on the site,and its still there working,and the larger tractor along with a 450 dozzer were taken to the conditioned storage building where it sat for 21 years. When i sell something i want both partys to feel the got a good deal.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks for the insight. Fortunately this is just a surplus machine and the price is not going to concern anyone here. The 35k came from the dealer and it sounds like it is to high. I don't really care if the price is even 20k as we just dont have any use for it. It was purchased as a piece of equipment in a real estate sale and the guy had two of them so we left one on the site,and its still there working,and the larger tractor along with a 450 dozzer were taken to the conditioned storage building where it sat for 21 years. When i sell something i want both partys to feel the got a good deal.
I think my cousin has one of these that his brother gave their dad before he passed. Nice mowing tractor, 5 cylinder, seems well built but manual transmission limits its utility. $20k to the right person would be a solid deal.

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301. KX033-4
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
Wish it was close. I'd buy it for $20k.
And I'd make a run at the dozer too!