Potential PTO Shaft Rotation Tool?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I'm also experiencing this with my LX3310. Makes hooking up PTO shafts mildly annoying.

I was able to easily hand spin the PTO on both the BX and B2601 as long as the selector was set to mid only. The LX is stubborn, and won't budge. I am going to try the transmission in neutral and try out the other position on the PTO selector to see if it makes a difference, I've only tried while set to mid only.

@Patent Guy did you ever sort this out?
My B2650 was quite stiff to rotate the pto shaft when new and even after a few months. But it kept getting easier and easier. I just have to remember (as mentioned above) that for hookup: select the opposite pto only and it will rotate by hand for maybe 90 degrees or easily enough to match the splines. Once hooked up, select the proper pto again. Now after a couple of years, the pto spins loose by hand for hookup. But only for that partial rotation.

Reactions: 1 users

Patent Guy

Premium Member

Equipment
LX 2610, LA 535, BH 77, SU R14 Tires, 1.5" Spacers, 2 remotes, LP 3rd Function.
Nov 14, 2020
East Tennessee
Mine now rotates freely. Put PTO in mid. The issue is that sometimes that is tough to do, but getting easier. It is also getting easier to move between gear ranges and engaging 4wd. The PTO is still the most difficult as it is used the least. I think it is just a new issue.

If you have to starting the tractor helps to get it in mid PTO.

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Thanks Gents, I will try that and give it some time.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Mine now rotates freely. Put PTO in mid. The issue is that sometimes that is tough to do, but getting easier. It is also getting easier to move between gear ranges and engaging 4wd. The PTO is still the most difficult as it is used the least. I think it is just a new issue.

If you have to starting the tractor helps to get it in mid PTO.
My 2017 B2650 with almost 600 hours still often gives a difficult time shifting the pto front/rear select lever, but if it gives me any real resistance now I just slip the PTO engagement lever forward just enough to have the hydraulic shifter "nudge" the PTO around slightly, then the front-rear PTO shifter loosens up nicely and operates without resistance.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
All Kubota tractors that are equipped with a PTO clutch utilize a spring-actuated brake. When there is no hydraulic pressure to engage the PTO clutch (Off Position), the spring or springs apply the PTO brake. When hydraulic pressure is sent to the PTO clutch, as it compresses the clutch to engage the PTO, pins from the piston also press against the brake plate overpowering the brake apply springs which releases the PTO brake.
The shaft can not turn with the PTO in the Off position because of the brake until the PTO shaft selector is shifted to Mid Only for turning the Rear shaft and Rear Only for turning the Midshaft.
Most Kubotas with PTO clutch brakes have a gap that allows the clutch to be rotated several degrees backwards to allow spline alinement. Instead of some fancy tool, I just use a 12" pair of slip joint pliers on the shaft for spline alinement.
The Kubotas without a PTO clutch pack, the shaft is easily turned by hand in the Off position whether it is sliding gear or dog clutch engagment.

Reactions: 2 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
On the LX2610 when the PTO selector is set to mid I have been told that it is possible to manually rotate the rear PTO shaft from the tractor so that it may be aligned with the splines of a PTO shaft for shaft attachment. However, before being told that the rear tractor PTO tractor shaft could be rotated when the mid PTO is selected, I would have said that it cannot. It certainly cannot be rotated readily by hand. Short of starting, spinning rear tractor PTO shaft, shutting down, and hoping for the appropriate alignment, rinse, repeat has anyone come up with a tool to rotate the shaft just a little to align the splines? No this isn't a problem if the implement allows for PTO shaft rotation, but some do not. What I was starting to think about was obtaining one of the PTO shaft extenders from Tractor Supply or equivalent and using a breaker bar or pipe wrench to turn it - or something of the sort. Then I thought, many others aren't first time tractor owners like me and someone must have solved this problem. All help appreciated, and thank you.
Put the selection in front PTO. Should be able to rotate the rear PTO by hand.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
All Kubota tractors that are equipped with a PTO clutch utilize a spring-actuated brake. When there is no hydraulic pressure to engage the PTO clutch (Off Position), the spring or springs apply the PTO brake. When hydraulic pressure is sent to the PTO clutch, as it compresses the clutch to engage the PTO, pins from the piston also press against the brake plate overpowering the brake apply springs which releases the PTO brake.
The shaft can not turn with the PTO in the Off position because of the brake until the PTO shaft selector is shifted to Mid Only for turning the Rear shaft and Rear Only for turning the Midshaft.
Most Kubotas with PTO clutch brakes have a gap that allows the clutch to be rotated several degrees backwards to allow spline alignment. Instead of some fancy tool, I just use a 12" pair of slip joint pliers on the shaft for spline alignment.
The Kubotas without a PTO clutch pack, the shaft is easily turned by hand in the Off position whether it is sliding gear or dog clutch engagement.
thank you for explaining this!!

Patent Guy

Premium Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2020
East Tennessee
I greatly agree. Technical basis very helpful.

Engaging the shaft a little and then backing off likely would make it easier to shift the selector to front when it fails to wish to. Will try.

My logic is when it is difficult to engage 4wd, sometimes you need to go a little forward or backward, but doing one or the other results in the 4wd selector easily engaging.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
well it took a little while, but I can now spin the PTO by hand. As mentioned earlier, selector needs to be in "mid only" (I had tried that before too). In the last month I had a lot more rear PTO use and that seems to have done the trick.

Patent Guy

Premium Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2020
East Tennessee
well it took a little while, but I can now spin the PTO by hand. As mentioned earlier, selector needs to be in "mid only" (I had tried that before too). In the last month I had a lot more rear PTO use and that seems to have done the trick.
I have the same experience. With continued trying the percentage of times it works without having to piddle with it increases.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
For many people, online discussion forums are a ”social venue”….. a way to spend free time in conversation with others…. a way to Learn New Things…. or simply to advance/participate in a “hobby” interest….
There are many talents applicable to tractors which are transferrable from other machinery and may be interesting to the participant….

Why is anyone overly-concerned about others participating in Public/Free forum discussion?
Isn’t that the whole idea?

(I sometimes visit a Pontoon Boat forum hoping others have made some contribution…but sadly it is over-moderated and no one wants to venture into the room for fear of criticism….. and another Pontoon Boat forum is avoided because it is populated by an “in-group” of vulgar and aggressive hate-speech “profeshinuls”…. which have little expertise to share, but freely give out insults to any new visitor.)

THIS Forum is well-moderated and generally friendly, IMO. I’ve been helped here and made friends I‘ll likely never meet in-person…. and I hope to pay it forward whenever I can contribute.
No reason to criticize participants that are only being conversational, IMO.
Agree wholeheartedly

evergreen

Equipment
LX2610, york rake, loader, grapple, woodmaxx8h chipper
Sep 12, 2022
Connecticut
Great thread. Had the same issue on my LX2610 - rear PTO shaft will not budge even with the shifter set to mid-PTO. Now I know why.

I'm a noob to the forum and hope to read a lot more interesting threads. And, no, I'm not here because I enjoy seeing my comments. Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great comments.