Post hole digging issue with a BX22

CDN2USA

Equipment
BX 22
May 21, 2013
Goochland, VA
I mounted a brand new hole digger / auger and gave it a try yesterday.

Lowered it down dug 6" raised, repeated. On next lowering the auger "bit" and drove it's self right down, could not stop it ended up stalling the motor. Since you can't reverse the PTO I used a pipe wrench on the shaft to turn the auger out.

Then tried it all again, slowest RPM, very slow lowering speed, but when the auger started to bite, i could not raise it up.

Note that i am driling through clay and that it is very damp. Does the BX have enough power ? I have seen videos that it does, but the ground was dry.

The next time i am going to try and lock the lower speed with the adjuster.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
I can only tell you my "procedure", I'm sure there are many approaches better than mine, I lay no claim to expertise!

I only start with a non-rotating auger, if necessary checking for straightness and correct position. Once correct I put only a little pressure on it so it'll push the center down, not to engage the cutting bits. If all looks correct at that point I'll kick the rpm's up to "midrange" speed, not the full 540, perhaps about 300 and yes I'm estimating. If you have the center point down far enough the auger will stay stable. I then SLOWLY let the auger down, cleaning when necessary and hoping not to hit a stone large enough to stop me. Too slow an rpm will make the auger MUCH more sensitive to any little rock or hard place than if you keep the rpm's up. The only exception where I've ever seen or can imagine where the auger is pulled down would be if you have a rather substantial rock hanging out into the bore or a piece of iron or pipe or something or that ilk. Sorry if I've said more than you wanted, just hope to help. At that I think you'll find the rpm's the key to putting in a good hole.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It happens as sinking a whole in the ground with an auger is like rolling dice and hoping for Snake Eyes. Sometims they drill a hole without a problem then other times you get hung up on who knows what and it wont drill very well.

Could be a rock or a tree root in the way or Jimmy Hoffa. With any luck you'll hit the black gold, that Texas Tea so you can move away from there and become a millionaire and move to Beverly Hills.

I got a 12'' bit hung up on something one time and almost the entire bit was in the ground. I did the same thing you did, took a pipe wrench and backed it out by hand which too just shy of FOREVER to do.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well when they drilled the holes for the uprights on the pole building, they had an auger on a fair sized bobcat, I don't know what they hit but it liked to ripped that bobcat off the ground and stalled her out,,,, Needs less to say that hole didn't go any deeper. so I guess ya pays your money and takes your chances just like everybody else

CDN2USA

Equipment
BX 22
May 21, 2013
Goochland, VA
Thanks all for your advice. I have a question;

When operating the 3 point should it stop going down when the lever is in the middle, should it raise when I have the lever in the up position regardless. I ask this because I wonder if I am having a 3 point valve adjustment problem or it is bleeding-by.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Maybe if weather permitting this weekend if Snowmageddon doesn't dump so much maybe I can slide out to Goochland and see what you're having problems with and give you some pointers. I'm in western Henrico so I'm not but 25 minutes to Goochland.

CDN2USA

Equipment
BX 22
May 21, 2013
Goochland, VA
Eric

That is a very generous offer. I will send you a PM with my personal info.

If I don't get this figured out I am going to need to pay to have the fence put in.
I need to free-up a field so that I can seed a field that is long over due.

The digger is coming off tonight, replaced by the box blade in the event I need it Thursday morning. Richmond will shut down if we get the predicted 8", the guys up North would laugh at us.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Hummm now I'm kinda wondering if I should bring my tractor with me incase we cant seem to get yours to dig. I've powered a standard size phd with my B6100 with hardly any problems. Atleast having mine there we can sink holes in the ground with it and get you going. It goes alot faster with two people.

navspecwar

Equipment
B3300HST FEL, ATH72 Finish Mower, 5ft KKRear Blade,Piranha TB
Oct 5, 2013
Marion, Illinois
Hummm now I'm kinda wondering if I should bring my tractor with me incase we cant seem to get yours to dig. I've powered a standard size phd with my B6100 with hardly any problems. Atleast having mine there we can sink holes in the ground with it and get you going. It goes alot faster with two people.
Very nice offer you made to a fellow OTT member :) . Speaks to your character:) Have a great day and hope you all get together and work things out. ........ Chad.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Eric

The digger is coming off tonight, replaced by the box blade in the event I need it Thursday morning. Richmond will shut down if we get the predicted 8", the guys up North would laugh at us.
I'll laugh for you. 8" of snow is just a few flurries, nothing to worry about. Gives an excuse for more Kubota seat time.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
We aint getting just 8inches of snow. Its supposed to be anywhere from 16-30 inches of the white crap. Then top it off with about a half an inch of ice falling tomorrow..

Battered Sav

Equipment
L2000DT (L225DT) Tiller, Slasher, Finishing mower, Ripper, grader/ripper, PHD.
Oct 1, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Thanks all for your advice. I have a question;

When operating the 3 point should it stop going down when the lever is in the middle, should it raise when I have the lever in the up position regardless. I ask this because I wonder if I am having a 3 point valve adjustment problem or it is bleeding-by.
I'm not familiar with your model tractor though using mine as a reference, yes, the 3pl should hold it's position when the lever is in the middle.
As for raising the auger, being clay soil you may be exceeding the limit of the lift capacity when the lever is in the 'UP' position.
When I'm using the PHD I usually lift it out, maybe every foot or so, to clear out the hole and reduce the amount to lift.
I too have had to use a pipe wrench to screw the auger out of the ground, more than once, so I'm fairly careful when it starts getting deep.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Being without electricty and heat is no laughing matter. Going on 3 days now for my neighborhood. I have a generator but most in the neighborhood do not. Loaned my neighbor my small gen just so he can keep his fridge running.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Being without electricty and heat is no laughing matter. Going on 3 days now for my neighborhood. I have a generator but most in the neighborhood do not. Loaned my neighbor my small gen just so he can keep his fridge running.
All that white stuff outside, that is called FREE refrigeration.:D

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
We had a bad ice storm in 2009 an we were the only one's in my neighborhood with power, 12 days running on a 10k whole house Generator, only problem was Carbon Monoxide I live at the base of a Mountain and the exhaust would blow back towards the house.