Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I thought in the US that urea was made from natural gas, which we have lots of. So, I'm not sure how China is going to cutoff our supply of urea.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
and trucks WILL stop rolling, stop rolling...

as well as ALL vehicles that use DEF like cars and tractors and dozers and ...

Once again China is playing the 'World game' very,very well. By keeping it's Urea in China, it forces other like SKorea to buy from others, like Australia, so countries that don't produce their own DEF( cheaper from China syndrome....) do run the real risk of having trucks parked until DEF flows again.
Modern trucks that use DEF cannot be restarted if they run out of DEF,though if the 'out of DEF light' does come on, as long as you refill diesel(with engine running,illegal) truck can carry on.
This worldwide DEF shortage is just another example of 'supply chain' problems that show how STUPID it is to be dependent on other nations for a LOT of things,especially 'little things'.
Some will say 'no big deal, lots of trucks(old ones) don't need DEF' ..but EVERY bigrig in California MUST have DEF, so no DEF means NO seacans offloaded and delivered from the Port of LA. NONE.
As local supplies of DEF get burned up, prices for the juice WILL skyrocket, that writing is on the wall.
Canada is forcasting a 7-9% increase in food at stores, really call it 10%. You can double that when the DEF shortage becomes a reality.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Well, I'm sure there would be DEF shortages as there is fertilizer shortages and they both are made of urea..

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
This worldwide DEF shortage is just another example of 'supply chain' problems that show how STUPID it is to be dependent on other nations for a LOT of things,especially 'little things'.
Some will say 'no big deal, lots of trucks(old ones) don't need DEF' ..but EVERY bigrig in California MUST have DEF, so no DEF means NO seacans offloaded and delivered from the Port of LA. NONE.
It also shows how STUPID it is to depend on one state to forward the goods to rest.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
so if i cant get it and my truck doesnt run without it.... i wonder if i could just work from home lol

Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Nothing burger here. Dakota Gasification makes about 64 million gallons of DEF a year with 1 million gallons of on site storage. Thats just one company in the US. There are about a dozen companies in the US and Mexico/Canada producing DEF. Fear not, the US can survive without chinese products. Though Chinese food, now thats a hardship not having that!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Knowing how 'Ottawa' operates, I expect us to export 99.44% of DEF to China, at a loss of course, to 'help them out'...then we'll have to pay $$$ for the few gallons left here.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It's part of the Green Energy plan to take diesels off the road. :D. Joking, but I don't have a diesel that uses DEF, so it won't be affecting my vehicles.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
It's part of the Green Energy plan to take diesels off the road. :D. Joking, but I don't have a diesel that uses DEF, so it won't be affecting my vehicles.
It will affect supply chain though as a majority of the semi’s on the road require it. The shortage is in South Korea and Australia currently. Will it make it here 🤷‍♂️. If we bite on the fear, maybe. Have seen where EPA might be considering a temporary software update to bypass forced idle on these trucks if there is an issue. They currently have an issue getting sensors for these systems.

Edit to add: we are also currently having issues getting bulk oils and OE filters.

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
and trucks WILL stop rolling, stop rolling...

as well as ALL vehicles that use DEF like cars and tractors and dozers and ...

Once again China is playing the 'World game' very,very well. By keeping it's Urea in China, it forces other like SKorea to buy from others, like Australia, so countries that don't produce their own DEF( cheaper from China syndrome....) do run the real risk of having trucks parked until DEF flows again.
Modern trucks that use DEF cannot be restarted if they run out of DEF,though if the 'out of DEF light' does come on, as long as you refill diesel(with engine running,illegal) truck can carry on.
As local supplies of DEF get burned up, prices for the juice WILL skyrocket, that writing is on the wall.
Canada is forcasting a 7-9% increase in food at stores, really call it 10%. You can double that when the DEF shortage becomes a reality.
If a truck runs out of def it will derate down to 5mph and not let you continue - regardless if you fuel it with the engine running or not. also not ALL trucks in California have to have def - we run a pre emmissions 1995 freightliner in California with no problems

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
When affect many pickups and big rigs up here, they are all deleted, LOL

Reactions: 2 users

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
if you saw it on facebook it must be true
Actually there is some truth to the DEF shortage, however not in the US. What IS in shortage in the US is getting the pee bottles delivered to the stores! Just like everything else, the supply chain is a complete F up.

Thankfully my 2012 will never need a drop of it, nor my tractors. Too bad I can't repurpose the DEF tank for fuel, then I can carry 55 gallons instead of 50 gallons of diesel. Or methanol as a power boost for climbing steep grades with my 5th wheel. I think the latter is something I can actually do, except I can't find Methanol around here. Been searching for a supplier for several years so I can mix my own glow fuel. What I did find costs more than the premixed fuel which defeats the purpose of home brew in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.