Pole saws

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Have the Greenworks 40v pole saw. Been using for about 2 years now for food plots/lanes on hunting properties. I believe I got it for $140 on amazon and it's been great. I keep the chain very sharp and it hasn't let me down yet. Since it worked so well, I've added the blower, vacuum, and hedge trimmers. The blower is a little like a toy, but it was pretty inexpensive. The vacuum is very good. I use it cleaning the cars and cleaning out my planter (no power at the farm) after use. Got the hedge trimmers on sale (~$60) for trimming vegetation in front of hunting blinds. If you are using most days or professionally, I don't think these are the best for you, but for consumer/single user use, pretty good bang for your buck.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you have any battery powered tools, then buy that brand pole saw. Then you can interchange your batteries and have spares. Most all the brands make good saws because they all are competing to make the best and retain market share.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I bought a HF pole saw yeah electric so it is a bit limited. I will here however add, as of this writing I have to see the orthro guy Tuesday morning, BECAUSE taking a limb down, it snapped, twisting downward in a spiraling motion twisting the pole saw from my grip, and pulling my shoulder outa da socket,, yeah lots of naughty words followed! So just be careful being complacent ( as I was) can get you hurt in a bloody heart beat,, just sayin

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I have the Milwaukee(M18 Battery) pole saw and love it. Already have a few(okay a LOT) of Milwaukee tools and it is the Quik-Loc system so the height is adjustable. And it came with the combo kit so also has the hedge trimmer and the string trimmer that all use the same motor head assembly.
+ 1 on the Milwaukee, IF you already have that platform. I do, and so it just made sense. I got the pole saw recently, and really like it.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I bought a HF pole saw yeah electric so it is a bit limited. I will here however add, as of this writing I have to see the orthro guy Tuesday morning, BECAUSE taking a limb down, it snapped, twisting downward in a spiraling motion twisting the pole saw from my grip, and pulling my shoulder outa da socket,, yeah lots of naughty words followed! So just be careful being complacent ( as I was) can get you hurt in a bloody heart beat,, just sayin
Unfortunate that you were hurt, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

FWIW, I do think slower cutting pole saws expose you to more risk. Your injury might have been unaffected by the speed of your pole saw, but I noticed a big difference between my battery powered Ryobi and my gas powered Stihl pole saw in terms of limbs cracking, dangling, swinging and etc. The Stihl saw slices through the limb so quickly that it usually just falls from the tree in nearly its resting orientation. This speed also greatly reduces any chance of binding, stalling and etc.

Despite the advancements in battery technology, the vast majority (none if you factor price) of battery powered tools cannot equal the power of gasoline fueled or corded tools.

Last edited:

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Another vote for the kombi
I have the km91 also a 4 mx motor, still mixed fuel but lots of torque. If you only have a limited amount of work for the pole saw then def a battery powered will do. However I de limb pines and other felled trees with the polesaw so the gas option was a no Brainer as well as being able to use different attachments such as a hedge trimmer, weedhip sweeper etc.

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I went with the Expand-It system with:
* Ryobi 40v powerhead (also have chainsaw)
* Toro 2 cycle powerhead
* Pole saw attachment
* Grass Trimmer (came with powerhead)
* Edger
* Brush cutter (various blades)
* Hedge trimmer
* Blower (worked better than I expected)
* 2' extensions

One nice thing about the pole saw is it has a 2 piece shaft. Sometimes I take the center section out and make it shorter than a standard pole saw. You can still reach pretty far (up and down) with less effort.

Not the highest quality, but I have the flexibility of battery or gas (only one engine to maintain) and use it at home and in the trees.

If you want a nice (and you're willing to pay) gas pole saw, check out the Echo.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Use 21’ Hayauchi manual, Dewalt 20v, and 25’ hydraulic tractor FEL mounted polesaws. All have strengths and weaknesses. Use a FEL basket with the first two. Best saw is one that lets you do the job safely.
IMG_2192.jpeg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have had, and used extensively, the HF corded pole-saw and I’m pretty impressed with its’ utility and durability. I have long extension-cords and also portable generators…so using a cord doesn’t hinder its’ use…. meanwhile, I don’t have to buy batteries or gas for it. It uses ordinary Oregon chains also. (long lasting, fast cutting).

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
If you want a nice (and you're willing to pay) gas pole saw, check out the Echo.
^^^^^

Had to use my Echo just this morning. I was happy to have the power provided by the 2 stroke engine as I had parts of limbs that were 8" across. I find a pole-saw especially useful for blow-downs....because of the reach of the saw. I don't have to 'wade' into the mess to cut limbs.

polesaw use.jpg

The tree I was working on today was just a Sweet Gum.....but when I have Prickly Ash to cut or Honey Locust you'll want some distance between you and the thorns on those tree limbs.

I keep my chain sharp at all times and will cut limbs 10" across before breaking out a larger saw on downed trees/limbs.

The Echo is actually powerful enough to cut limbs wider than the bar. I can bury the bar without the saw bogging down then go the other side and finish the cut.

That is the case with this Water Oak limb I am having to prune back. It is about 16" in diameter but I can't reach it with anything (that I have) except my pole saw and some scaffolding. Probably should buy an old bucket truck for my property.

Tree Limb1.jpg

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
^^^^^

That is the case with this Water Oak limb I am having to prune back. It is about 16" in diameter but I can't reach it with anything (that I have) except my pole saw and some scaffolding. Probably should buy an old bucket truck for my property.
Yes, you should.
I bought one around 10 years ago with the intention of painting my house and then selling to get my money back. After seeing how useful it was, there is no way I'm getting rid of it unless it is to buy another one. By far, one of my best investments. The only problem is people find out you have one and can always find a need to keep you busy, but can easily make some side money if wanted.
Might have to learn how to rebuild hydraulic cylinders, if you don't already know. Takes a little work to keep the old ones going, but well worth the money. Get a 4 wheel drive unit if you can! These things are heavy and easily stuck when off-road, especially if it's not 4x4.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Yes, you should.
I bought one around 10 years ago with the intention of painting my house and then selling to get my money back. After seeing how useful it was, there is no way I'm getting rid of it unless it is to buy another one. By far, one of my best investments. The only problem is people find out you have one and can always find a need to keep you busy, but can easily make some side money if wanted.
^^^^

No different than when they know you have a Truck/Trailer/Winch/etc.

If you are the charitable type (and I am) then it seems you are always helping someone or loaning out what you have.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
^^^^^

Had to use my Echo just this morning. I was happy to have the power provided by the 2 stroke engine as I had parts of limbs that were 8" across. I find a pole-saw especially useful for blow-downs....because of the reach of the saw. I don't have to 'wade' into the mess to cut limbs.

View attachment 103067

The tree I was working on today was just a Sweet Gum.....but when I have Prickly Ash to cut or Honey Locust you'll want some distance between you and the thorns on those tree limbs.

I keep my chain sharp at all times and will cut limbs 10" across before breaking out a larger saw on downed trees/limbs.

The Echo is actually powerful enough to cut limbs wider than the bar. I can bury the bar without the saw bogging down then go the other side and finish the cut.

View attachment 103066
I'm with civilized. That's an accident in the making.

Once I was going to cut a 6-8" limb off my Dad's water oak. It wasn't near that high. I cut it with an electric pole saw. When it hit the ground, it rolled back against the ladder, and broke a back leg off his new 10' fiberglass step ladder.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I'm with civilized. That's an accident in the making.

Once I was going to cut a 6-8" limb off my Dad's water oak. It wasn't near that high. I cut it with an electric pole saw. When it hit the ground, it rolled back against the ladder, and broke a back leg off his new 10' fiberglass step ladder.
^^^^^

Yep, or folks will cut a long limb (from up on a ladder) NEVER once considering that the far end will contact the ground first sending the butt end (cut end) back against the ladder and knocking it out from under them.

My scaffold set up is cross braced in the center, has outriggers at the bottom and is attached to the tractor bucket with brackets. Pretty much rock solid.

The limb of the oak (a Water Oak....very heavy wood) is being cut off in short 2' sections and they simply fall away posing no danger to me or the equipment.

Believe me....at my age (68) the last thing I want to do is have a 'fall'. Even IF I survived it.....I'd be so "Humpty-Dumptied' they never would get me put back together again. So no 'accidents in the making' on my place.

Humpty Dumptied.jpg

3Tier_c.jpg
3Tier_f.jpg

But....I really could use an old bucket truck for lots of things around the property. I'll have to run that past 'acquisitions' (read the Wifey).

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Looking to purchase a pole saw for cutting low limbs on trees. Am leaning toward the Stihl gas powered residential unit as I have always had great luck with Stihl products. The dealer is pushing the new battery powered saw. It is about the same price as the gas unit if not more. Wondering if anyone has had experience with these battery powered saws. They told me that Stihl is now putting all their R & D into Battery systems now.
No experience with any battery powered saws but have had a Stihl 4 cycle pole saw for about 5 years and it has been flawless.

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Looking to purchase a pole saw for cutting low limbs on trees. Am leaning toward the Stihl gas powered residential unit as I have always had great luck with Stihl products. The dealer is pushing the new battery powered saw. It is about the same price as the gas unit if not more. Wondering if anyone has had experience with these battery powered saws. They told me that Stihl is now putting all their R & D into Battery systems now.
I really like my Ryobi chainsaws and pole saws. I have both the 18v and 40v versions. The 18v is a little slow for my liking, but the 40v is almost the same as a gas unit, without the gas and having to maintain or snatch on it.

The 18v is really handy for occasional use due to having 18v batteries always on the ready for other tools and they are lighter. The 40v is a little heavier, especially with a big battery. I have both the 14" and 18". Probably going to use the 14" to make a tractor bucket pole saw similar to Smokeydog. I will probably never touch a gas saw until I have something big to deal with, which I hope is rare! I've been using the 18v for around 10 years and been using the 40v for maybe 5 or 6 years. Have not had a failure yet.

Battery is all I use when in my bucket truck. So much easier to handle and not have to worry about cranking a hard to start saw. I went to help some guys at a local camp ground once, around 10 years ago. They all laughed at me with my little green 18v chainsaw and pole saw. I was in the bucket and just dropping stuff on the ground. They had to do the cleanup. I kept a crew of maybe 8 guys busy all day and might have used 3 or 4 batteries. At the end of the day, they had stopped laughing and were interested in getting one of the little toy saws, too.

I would agree with an earlier post to choose a brand with a battery platform you already have, if you have one. If not, there are many to choose from and the higher voltage units cut faster.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I too like my Stihl chainsaws. Yet, for a pole saw I went with DeWalt pole saw since I was already in that battery system. As others have noted, my pole saw doesn't see a lot of use. I usually do a trimming in the Spring and one in the Fall. I didn't want to have to mess with maintaining another engine.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
I too like my Stihl chainsaws. Yet, for a pole saw I went with DeWalt pole saw since I was already in that battery system. As others have noted, my pole saw doesn't see a lot of use. I usually do a trimming in the Spring and one in the Fall. I didn't want to have to mess with maintaining another engine.
I like my gas Stihl chainsaw, blower, & trimmer but the price of their pole saws took me off gaurd. $400 for the cheapest and $700+ for the one I want (of course). This thread got me to look at the alternatives. I already have Dewalt and their pole saw is only $230 w/battery.
I need to do quit a bit of clean up on my new to me property but after that I'm not sure how much I will really use it.
How well does the Dewalt cut? Do you think its rugged?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I like my gas Stihl chainsaw, blower, & trimmer but the price of their pole saws took me off gaurd. $400 for the cheapest and $700+ for the one I want (of course). This thread got me to look at the alternatives. I already have Dewalt and their pole saw is only $230 w/battery.
I need to do quit a bit of clean up on my new to me property but after that I'm not sure how much I will really use it.
How well does the Dewalt cut? Do you think its rugged?
We are on our third season of using it around the farm. It has cut everything we have thrown at it. I give it to my nephews and they toss it in the wagon on their four wheelers and go all over and trim with it. I just have to remind them to check the bar oil on it. I keep it away from my dad, because you would find him trying to dig trenches (actually trying to cut tree roots with his pole saw). He can be hard on his tools. I like my stuff to last.

Do I think it is Stihl rugged? No. Do I think it is DeWalt battery power tool rugged? Yes. If you were cutting for a living, I would go STIHL or one of the professional models. If you are occasionally cutting (when we trim it is typical on two or three Saturdays in the Spring and a couple in the fall unless we have storm damage and use the pole saw for three or four hours and normally by this time everyone is tired of holding the saw) I think it is great tool. In full disclosure, my dad has Ryobi pole saw and I have been impressed with it. He does abuse his tools and it has kept going. Needed a couple new chains, but when you are cutting in the dirt it is hard on the chain.