Pole saws

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
...............................................How well does the Dewalt cut? Do you think its rugged?
Really like mine. Bought it before Covid for cheap. It was new, not a refurb. Some tool outfit had the tool only for a little over $100 AND it included an extension section.

From another discussion:

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
I have a Stihl pole saw. Model HT103 I believe. Gas, 4 mix engine and telescoping. It cuts like butter and starts up easy. It’s 5 years old now and has done everything I’ve asked of it. I only use canned fuel since it is an infrequent use, 2-5x a year or so.

I have 3 other Stihl chainsaws and a Milwaukee M12 Hatchet. I recently picked up the M18 quick lock trimmer to replace my old non attachment capable M18 trimmer. I wanted the articulating hedge trimmer and got a pole saw in the package. I have yet to try it to compare the two. If it’s anything like the M12 hatchet I think I’ll like it. Not sure if I’d like it enough to sell the Stihl.

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
I've got the same Greenworks polesaw that @85Hokie has listed, along with another GW chainsaw & leaf blower. The polesaw gets lots of use and is highly recommended, it works very well. The 'pole' can be reduced in length (or even extended with an additional section) for increased versatility. I've switched to Oregon chains on mine (8" .043 gauge 3/8" pitch iirc) and it rips. (y)
I also have the Greenworks 60v platorm and have the polesaw, blower and trimmer for around bushes and low grass. It works remarkably well with plenty of power. I don't think my Stihl can take limbs off as fast as the polesaw does. Most of my gas tools are Stihl, and electric either Kobalt, Makita or Greenworks. I am elderly now, so the polesaw is heavy for me, but 10 yrs ago, no problemo.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I had a cheapo Remington that was corded which was handy but it did not have much power. I’ve been using a stihl ht131 for a while now and it works very well. Used it this morning and still appreciate the 2 stroke when I need to trim branches for a few hours. It even sounds better than the tuner cars with a pipe that sounds like an elephant farting under water. The HT has a nice thump as it should be. I think the bigger problem is if using infrequently or not for more than a few minutes, then electric makes a lot more sense to me. Not sure the new cordless units from big box stores are serviceable or disposable? If I were to buy cordless I’d stick with M18 as that’s my battery platform. My cordless weed eater is ok but doesn’t compare to stihl brush cutter / trimmer, so I am not confident why electric pole saw would be much different. Something mounted on the loader would be nice I think.

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
If you have a battery platform like Stihl, Makita, Milwaukee, then you want to stick with one of those. i have several and those are Greenworks 60v, Makita 18v, Kobalt 24v, and a cheapo HF Bauer. I decided to
go with the Greenworks 60v platform simply because of tool, and battery cost. The Kobalt, and Makita small tools are great. Kobalt batteries are cheap and go a long ways. I have about 10 tools for Kobalt, and 3 for Greenworks, 3 for Makita.. The Bauer 20v is a good drill, and was surprising a decent buy and it works surprisingly well. The charger is mediocre but works. For my lawn equipment it is Greenworks, and I decided to go with the 60v platform, as it was only another 20 or so dollars over the 40. Overall my favorite platform is the Kobalt in 24v.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
I had a cheapo Remington that was corded which was handy but it did not have much power. I’ve been using a stihl ht131 for a while now and it works very well. Used it this morning and still appreciate the 2 stroke when I need to trim branches for a few hours. It even sounds better than the tuner cars with a pipe that sounds like an elephant farting under water. The HT has a nice thump as it should be. I think the bigger problem is if using infrequently or not for more than a few minutes, then electric makes a lot more sense to me. Not sure the new cordless units from big box stores are serviceable or disposable? If I were to buy cordless I’d stick with M18 as that’s my battery platform. My cordless weed eater is ok but doesn’t compare to stihl brush cutter / trimmer, so I am not confident why electric pole saw would be much different. Something mounted on the loader would be nice I think.
I own a Stihl HT103, and have the Milwaukee M18 system with pole saw. I haven't tried it, but if it is anything like the M12 Hatchet I also have I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Reactions: 1 user

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Another Stihl Kombi user (131 R), bought it when I needed to replace my 30 year old Stihl trimmer. Zero complaints about it, I use it with the three tooth metal blade most of the time but also have the string head and blower for it. Sounds like I should look into the pole saw attachment.

Rodger

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
I ended up getting the DeWalt 20V pole saw. Very happy with it. After using it a few times, I find myself spending more time cleaning up the branches than cutting them.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Another Stihl Kombi user (131 R), bought it when I needed to replace my 30 year old Stihl trimmer. Zero complaints about it, I use it with the three tooth metal blade most of the time but also have the string head and blower for it. Sounds like I should look into the pole saw attachment.

Rodger
I am always pleased with my Kombi 131R with the pole saw attachment with or without the extension. In addition to limbs and cutting off small trees (2-5 inches) at ground level, I was surprised to find that I could rake down nets of vines and big brambles. After getting them out of the tree limbs or privet and to the ground, I could then chop them up with my rotary cutter. Just trying to back into a tangle of vines with the rotary cutter did not help with the problem in the canopy.

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I ended up getting the DeWalt 20V pole saw. Very happy with it. After using it a few times, I find myself spending more time cleaning up the branches than cutting them.
Nice.
Indeed, the hard work is cleaning up the debris. Cutting is easy, other than my Stihl HT131 get pretty heavy after about two hours. It has a harness, but that thing is more work than it’s worth, it restricts the angle (both axis) saw can cut at.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I own a Stihl HT103, and have the Milwaukee M18 system with pole saw. I haven't tried it, but if it is anything like the M12 Hatchet I also have I'm sure it'll be fantastic.
I hope you do a comparison / write up thread in that.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
HT131 get pretty heavy after about two hours
I can't imagine running a pole saw for two hours straight. Talk about an upper body workout.
I run my Stihl gas string trimmer for hours with the only breaks filling the gas and replacing the cutting cord. Although lately I have wised up a bit and take a short break at fill up time.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I can't imagine running a pole saw for two hours straight. Talk about an upper body workout.
I run my Stihl gas string trimmer for hours with the only breaks filling the gas and replacing the cutting cord. Although lately I have wised up a bit and take a short break at fill up time.
Well, being 100% transparent, two hours straight would have been at least 15, maybe 20, years ago. Now it’s two hours total for the day with a 5 minute rest every 15 minutes or 3 or 4 trees. And a few hours cleaning up the mess I made. Now I have a grapple to help with that.

As to your weedeating routine, indeed mine is the same. And four to six hours and I feel like an old man and need a couple Advil. One tank of fuel is about one hour. One spool of string is 3 to 4 hours, depending on how often I hit the wire fence.

And there’s good string and junk (cheaper) string. The Stihl branded string is the only one I’ve found I like, any others break way too often, as well as getting stuck in the head and not spooling out with the bump head. I want to whack weeds, not fight equipment.

Another reason I own Kubotas, I fought poor/old/worn out equipment all my young life on the farm. Not anymore.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
I hope you do a comparison / write up thread in that.
I may, but I’ve also considered just selling the M18 pole saw attachment without trying it. The only thing that has kept me from listing it is the thought if I were to only keep one and the M18 works well that would be the one to keep due to easier maintenance and storage. It also wound’s bring as much $ as the Stihl would.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
And there’s good string and junk (cheaper) string. The Stihl branded string is the only one I’ve found I like, any others break way too often, as well as getting stuck in the head and not spooling out with the bump head. I want to whack weeds, not fight equipment.
Apparently the orange string is better now, I bought a new Stihl years ago and couldn’t get much done with the constant string breakage. I went to Ace Hardware and bought their brand and used it ever since. Cheap ain’t always bad.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Apparently the orange string is better now, I bought a new Stihl years ago and couldn’t get much done with the constant string breakage. I went to Ace Hardware and bought their brand and used it ever since. Cheap ain’t always bad.
Give the stihl pro string a try (it’s orange and grey)…it’s definitely better than the bright green IMO. The guage of the line can make a difference too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve used Stihl 0.105” line for years. Works well.

0.130 was too brittle and broke. 0.090 (?) was a bit too thin and just broke.