Plows

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
Purchased a M5660 for general use. It does not have draft control(which I was told when purchasing). I had someone pick me up a set of plows at an auction which are 3 x 16. When using them the tractor seems yo have difficulty pulling through the soil with them and at times the tires will spin even in 4wd. Seems like I am raising and lowering the 3 point frequently to get much done.
Now looking at the manual the max size of plows the recommend is 2 x14(always read your manual BEFORE purchasing).
Should I:
1.Take one plow and coulter off if I can?
2. Get front weights which may help the front stay more firmly planted on the ground?
3.Get another set of plows that are 2 x14?
4. Just the way it is without draft control?
Thanks for the advice

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Are you plowing virgin ground? Food plots or are you planting crops? Do you have any previous experience setting up a new set of plows? Do you have a front end loader that you could load the bucket to verify the front weight would improve your traction?

Did you put the top link into the bottom hole on the tractor side? The plow might be out of adjustment and trying to bury itself.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, I'm thinking you've got 56HP (?) and it's only rated for a 2-14 plow ?? Kinda crazy to me as I have a tired 40HP D-14 that runs a 3-14 plow all day long every spring for 20 years...
You need to get the plow/tractor setup correctly, and shine the points and moldboards. Someone here should have a manual they can point you to....

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
Are you plowing virgin ground? Food plots or are you planting crops? Do you have any previous experience setting up a new set of plows? Do you have a front end loader that you could load the bucket to verify the front weight would improve your traction?

Did you put the top link into the bottom hole on the tractor side? The plow might be out of adjustment and trying to bury itself.
No front-end loader on the tractor although I wish I did. The ground had not been plowed for years. Don' remember if the top link was in the bottom hole or not. Had a couple of relatives with a lot of experience that had the same problem. Plows are used but in very good condition and I know from the past that the first couple passes it will pull a little harder. Planning on using it this fall and trying to see if I was missing something.

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
hmm, I'm thinking you've got 56HP (?) and it's only rated for a 2-14 plow ?? Kinda crazy to me as I have a tired 40HP D-14 that runs a 3-14 plow all day long every spring for 20 years...
You need to get the plow/tractor setup correctly, and shine the points and moldboards. Someone here should have a manual they can point you to....
The tractor manual says 2 x 14 is maximum which I thought was strange for tractor size. Before I use it again this fall I will shine the points and moldboards. Wasn't sure if lack of draft control. Thanks for the information.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Frt end weights will help hold frt down plus add traction to rear tires. I also suggest adding liquid ballast to rear tires. If tractor couldn't pull plow after adding ballast then I'll advise to remove rear bottom.

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
Frt end weights will help hold frt down plus add traction to rear tires. I also suggest adding liquid ballast to rear tires. If tractor couldn't pull plow after adding ballast then I'll advise to remove rear bottom.
Tires has weight in them. Just dont know if I want to spend the money on front weights

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Make sure your plow is adjusted properly. Level side to side and level front to back, must be checked with plow in the ground. Level plow will pull easier. Also, does the plow have a depth control wheel? Keeping the plow from going into the ground too deep is important too.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
suggestion. Get another toplink.BOLT it onto plow. Once you've got the plow adjusted properly LEAVE that toplink attached to the plow( I bolt them on..). Providing you don't 'fiddle' with it to get the plow on/off, it'll STAY setup,ready for the next time you need to use it. I haven't needed to 'fiddle' with my plow in 20 yerars, no matter which D-14 I connect to.
If you know the make/model of the plow, find an owners manual for it. That will tell you how to setup the plow

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Purchased a M5660 for general use. It does not have draft control(which I was told when purchasing). I had someone pick me up a set of plows at an auction which are 3 x 16. When using them the tractor seems yo have difficulty pulling through the soil with them and at times the tires will spin even in 4wd. Seems like I am raising and lowering the 3 point frequently to get much done.
Now looking at the manual the max size of plows the recommend is 2 x14(always read your manual BEFORE purchasing).
Should I:
1.Take one plow and coulter off if I can?
2. Get front weights which may help the front stay more firmly planted on the ground?
3.Get another set of plows that are 2 x14?
4. Just the way it is without draft control?
Thanks for the advice
What tires do you have? You need R1 tires for plowing.

Secondly, Kubotas are light. Moreover, they are not designed for plowing as were tractors of decades past. If the Operator's Manual recommends nothing larger than a 2X14 plow, pay attention. The size of plow that any tractor can pull is mostly determined by soil conditions. Your M5660 may have a 56 HP engine but it is putting well less than 50 HP to the ground. What type of soil do you have and when was it last cultivated?

A few years ago I watched my neighbor, an experienced farmer, plow a few rounds with his Ford FWA 4630 and 3X14 plow in hay sod. Though his tractor produces a bit more HP than yours, is fully weighted, considerably heavier than yours, and equipped with draft control, it struggled mightily in the sod. Lots of slippage and front tires often unloaded or reaching for the sky. FWIW, FWA is of little help when plowing, especially with a heavy tractor equipped with draft control.

Draft control will help a bit but your plow is too big for your tractor. You might pull 2X16s if your ground is decent but 3X16s is too much to ask.

SDT