Please ease my mind - Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional?

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
To the OP. Its mostly green around my farm. With that being said a few years back when I wanted to up grade my smaller Agco I looked at a lot of different brands and really thought I would buy JD. Ended up going with Kubota. Thought I had a L4701 with loader bought and the dealer sold it out from under me. I ended up buying a MX-6000 with loader. Have way north of a couple thousand hours on it and have had zero issues with it. The only thing I don't like about the tractor is the small fuel tank. I can't run a full day spot spraying with it. I would sure give the MX series a good look at.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
To the OP. Its mostly green around my farm. With that being said a few years back when I wanted to up grade my smaller Agco I looked at a lot of different brands and really thought I would buy JD. Ended up going with Kubota. Thought I had a L4701 with loader bought and the dealer sold it out from under me. I ended up buying a MX-6000 with loader. Have way north of a couple thousand hours on it and have had zero issues with it. The only thing I don't like about the tractor is the small fuel tank. I can't run a full day spot spraying with it. I would sure give the MX series a good look at.
I'm obviously a fan of the MX6000 too but you make a great point about the fuel tank, particularly on the cabbed models. My M6060 has a 23.8 gallon fuel tank which is twice the capacity of the MX6000 at only 11.9 gallons. The open station MX has a slightly larger tank that holds 13.5 gallons. That said, given my experience with two MX6000s, I'd buy the same model again.

Aranda0408

Equipment
L4802, Rotary Cutter, Grapple, Box Blade, Pallet Forks
Jan 6, 2024
Houston
First off thank you all for the feedback and recommendations. I ended up pulling the trigger on the L4802 and so far it’s made clearing my new land a breeze, especially with the grapple - saved my back! My dealer has already been a huge help, and given the number of responses on this thread it sounds like I made the right choice over Mahindra to have quality dealers and a plethora of online support.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more from this community!

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
First off thank you all for the feedback and recommendations. I ended up pulling the trigger on the L4802 and so far it’s made clearing my new land a breeze, especially with the grapple - saved my back! My dealer has already been a huge help, and given the number of responses on this thread it sounds like I made the right choice over Mahindra to have quality dealers and a plethora of online support.

Congratulations on the new tractor! I doubt you will ever have a single regret with that choice and you'll have many years of wonderful ownership. I've owned a total of four Kubota tractors and still have two, and not a single regret over those eight years and counting.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I'm obviously a fan of the MX6000 too but you make a great point about the fuel tank, particularly on the cabbed models. My M6060 has a 23.8 gallon fuel tank which is twice the capacity of the MX6000 at only 11.9 gallons. The open station MX has a slightly larger tank that holds 13.5 gallons. That said, given my experience with two MX6000s, I'd buy the same model again.
True, I can’t rotary cut all day without refueling my MX, but by the time to refuel the tractor, it’s usually a time for me to take a break also.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
True, I can’t rotary cut all day without refueling my MX, but by the time to refuel the tractor, it’s usually a time for me to take a break also.
And there's blowing crap off the screens too!

It's definitely not a deal breaker for me but something to be aware of. Cabbed tractors are more comfortable so there's a tendency to get in and stay in when running them. This past summer I used the M6060 to cut my friend's place a couple of times and didn't need to refuel over a six hour non-stop run. I didn't even need to blow off the screens until I was done which made for an easy afternoon.

Reactions: 1 user

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY

Hi Ben. I noticed you posted not even a week ago about which tractor to buy, and you already have your machine home with 20 hours on it?! Amazing! Congrats.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

IMHO you absolutely made the BEST choice!

SDtractorman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jan 12, 2024
Dakota
Hi Ben. I noticed you posted not even a week ago about which tractor to buy, and you already have your machine home with 20 hours on it?! Amazing! Congrats.
Your decision to invest more money upfront for the combination of product quality, superior parts & service support, and better resale was a wise choice.

Reactions: 2 users

SDtractorman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jan 12, 2024
Dakota
You are joking right?

"Case" is Case International Harvester. They have been in the agricultural and industrial equipment business a very long time. Everything from 25 to 800 HP agricultursl tractors. They currently own the Steiger and New Holland brands as well.

View attachment 119640

Truckloads of these "small" machines pass through here weekly.

View attachment 119638 p

Their itty bitty under 140 HP machines carry their venerable Farmall badge which has been in use for better part of a century.

View attachment 119639

Kubota does not play in the same league.

Dan
Case International Harvester does NOT own New Holland. Fiat 'owns' CNH Industrial which the brands of New Holland and Case IH and many others fall under.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
When your a one man band like I am its not good when you leave home in the morning full of fuel and your fifteen miles from home spot spraying and needing fuel and the tanks and fuel trailer are back at the home base. I am going to need to set up another small fuel trailer and store it over at one of our other farms. I get tired of carrying a five gallon can of fuel on the sprayer so I can get back home.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The LX wasn't a marketing gimmic, as far as CAB models go.

Before I bought my LX2610 CAB, I researched until I got sick of researching. Then I sat back a few weeks and tried not to think about it.

As the need was getting closer I'd look at it all again.

The LX CAB is basically a large B or small L with 99 percent of the Grand L 's ammenities. It's a Grand B! But the B series maxed out at 26 HP and Kubota wanted to go higher HP with the LX line. Which they did.
If I didn't HAVE to have a cab, it was a must in NW Wisconsin; I'd have an MX 5400 or 6000 open station for almost the same $.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The LX wasn't a marketing gimmic, as far as CAB models go.
At least, they finally got rid of some of the HST whine in the new version. Interestingly, that didn't factor into my purchase, but I think I would have been bothered by the noise.

I think it was Neil Messick who I heard say they came out with the LX to prevent the confusion of having multiple B sizes.

I wonder if they will do a name change with the Ls since a L3902 and L4802 aren't anywhere near the same size. However, I wonder what they'd call the Big L since they already have a MX. Maybe it would have made sense to make the L4802 a MX4802. :D

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
At least, they finally got rid of some of the HST whine in the new version. Interestingly, that didn't factor into my purchase, but I think I would have been bothered by the noise.

I think it was Neil Messick who I heard say they came out with the LX to prevent the confusion of having multiple B sizes.

I wonder if they will do a name change with the Ls since a L3902 and L4802 aren't anywhere near the same size. However, I wonder what they'd call the Big L since they already have a MX. Maybe it would have made sense to make the L4802 a MX4802. :D
Currently all of the MX models are the exact same tractor, the only difference between them is engine horsepower.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Currently all of the MX models are the exact same tractor, the only difference between them is engine horsepower.
I think all of us know that, but the L4802 wouldn't need to be stretched very far to be MX sized. Equivalently, it wouldn't have been hard to put the L4802 engine in a MX frame.

An answer to a JD model might be the answer of why they didn't although not the case with the LX.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I think all of us know that, but the L4802 wouldn't need to be stretched very far to be MX sized.
Then it would be a MX4800. That model was already produced a few years ago.