Please ease my mind - Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional?

Aranda0408

Equipment
L4802, Rotary Cutter, Grapple, Box Blade, Pallet Forks
Jan 6, 2024
Houston
First post on the forum so apologies if I’m doing something wrong but I’ve scoured the forums and YouTube and still not sure which way I should go, and this forum seems like a really helpful community.

I’m a first time tractor buyer but I grew up running tractors (Masse Ferguson and Mahindra) on my family land since I was old enough to mash down the clutch.

I just purchased 22ac of flat land east of Houston that’s ~7ac field that I want to keep trimmed, and ~15ac wooded with thick underbrush that I want to thin out and maintain. I also need to take down a dozen ~18” oaks to open up the access as well as maintain ~1/2mi lane. I will also be building a barn and offgrid cabin and will need to maneuver building materials and IBC totes.

My dad’s tractors have always been around the 40hp range with similar terrain so I figured I’d stay in that general space since it worked well for him. I really like the Mahindra 5145 shuttle and on paper it seems to outspec the Kubota L4802 HST (larger frame, more open deck and larger fenders, significantly more lift capacity, beefier 3pt, cat1&2 couplers, standard rear remote, more protection around filters and hoses, mechanical PTO, bucket level indicator, better location for fuel and battery, more hood clearance for engine bay access, etc), not to mention it’s $10k cheaper for the 2023 model.

The common theme I hear on the interwebs is that Mahindra has reliability/service/parts issues but if I go with the 5145 I basically have a $10k repair budget built in before I even get to the same cost of the L4802. Normally I have no problem paying extra for more features/reliability but I get a stomach ache thinking I’m paying 1/3 more money for less tractor just because a one folks on the internet think Mahindra is trash.

Lastly, I understand the L4802 is a brand new model line, which also poses some concerns since the bugs haven’t been worked out.

Do y’all have any insight that can help ease my mind that forking out $10k for the L4802 is the right thing to do?

Thanks in advance!
Ben

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
First post on the forum so apologies if I’m doing something wrong but I’ve scoured the forums and YouTube and still not sure which way I should go, and this forum seems like a really helpful community.

I’m a first time tractor buyer but I grew up running tractors (Masse Ferguson and Mahindra) on my family land since I was old enough to mash down the clutch.

I just purchased 22ac of flat land east of Houston that’s ~7ac field that I want to keep trimmed, and ~15ac wooded with thick underbrush that I want to thin out and maintain. I also need to take down a dozen ~18” oaks to open up the access as well as maintain ~1/2mi lane. I will also be building a barn and offgrid cabin and will need to maneuver building materials and IBC totes.

My dad’s tractors have always been around the 40hp range with similar terrain so I figured I’d stay in that general space since it worked well for him. I really like the Mahindra 5145 shuttle and on paper it seems to outspec the Kubota L4802 HST (larger frame, more open deck and larger fenders, significantly more lift capacity, beefier 3pt, cat1&2 couplers, standard rear remote, more protection around filters and hoses, mechanical PTO, bucket level indicator, better location for fuel and battery, more hood clearance for engine bay access, etc), not to mention it’s $10k cheaper for the 2023 model.

The common theme I hear on the interwebs is that Mahindra has reliability/service/parts issues but if I go with the 5145 I basically have a $10k repair budget built in before I even get to the same cost of the L4802. Normally I have no problem paying extra for more features/reliability but I get a stomach ache thinking I’m paying 1/3 more money for less tractor just because a one folks on the internet think Mahindra is trash.

Lastly, I understand the L4802 is a brand new model line, which also poses some concerns since the bugs haven’t been worked out.

Do y’all have any insight that can help ease my mind that forking out $10k for the L4802 is the right thing to do?

Thanks in advance!
Ben
Many may disagree with my assessment....
Mahindra = made in India..... stone age tractor.......but cheap, .......and with low resale value!
Belarus ....same idea.....only worse!

Reactions: 4 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m not going to make a comparison between the two, not being familiar with Mahindra. But I don’t think there are any 1st year issues with the L4802. It’s just a L4701 with some feature upgrades. However, looking at your intended uses I do recommend that if you’re considering Kubota, you should also look at the MX tractors. I started out looking at the L4701, then saw that for a small amount more I could jump into the MX line with more weight, hp, and loader capacity. It’s a beefier built tractor overall for not much more money.

Reactions: 4 users

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
While those both may be 40hp that model 5145 is the size of a Kubota M series. That’s the reason it will lift more, wider, heavier etc.
Those models are more different spec wise than similar other than 40hp.

Factoring in the cost difference in a “repair” budget is a bad idea all together

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I would also add that the dealership is extremely important if you’re buying Mahindra. Kubota dealerships and parts are everywhere, Mahindra is more scarce. Our local Mahindra dealership has a small shack for a shop and a guy that can only be described as an interesting character for a mechanic. Not much parts on hand, all needing to be ordered. So if you’re considering Mahindra, try to find out what the dealership and parts inventory situation is in your area.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
YOU have to do what you think - if you have a "good" dealer around and CAN get parts ........ save the 10K.

IF you plan on running this machine for 30 more years ......... save the 10K

HOWEVER - if you think, maybe you are going to trade this machine in, say 5 years down the road .......... the thought may get a little foggy.

But - it is your dime - do what you think, our advice and $12.50 still might buy a cup of Java at starbucks.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I looked at different brands a few years ago. It's probably not quite a valid comparison, but I think of Kubota as a Toyota and any brand other than a John Deere or Kubota as a Hyundai. John Deere and Kubota are the standard that others are judged by.

Sure, there are people that never have any issues with a Hyundai and love them. But, there are very few Toyotas that have significant issues. That translates to better reliability and ultimately better resale value if you ever plan to sell/trade.

Fwiw, there are a lot of comparison videos on YouTube for models/brands. Generally speaking, there are no identical models instead the models interleave. That is, one model "wins" for one brand depending on what level/size you are trying to buy.

Have fun shopping.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
My son in law has a mahindra. Tried to talk me into one when I went shopping for a tractor. Glad I didn’t. Getting parts is a bitch. Usually 3+ months to get most parts. He is regretting not going Kubota. Up to you which way to go but try to find others in your area that has mahindra and get there opinion.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Thanks in advance!
Ben
Unlike @TheOldHokie I do bleed orange ... kind of. I tend to be very brand loyal when a company demonstrates quality and reliability. I've owned four Kubota tractors and still have two of them. That said, I would never buy anything from Mahindra but would look at Kioti and TYM.

Have you considered other brands such as Kioti? They make a good tractor and typically the equivalent models are less than Kubota, or if a similar price have additional features. A friend has a TYM and really likes it. It has been reliable for him with no issues. TYM pushes their stuff through YouTube "influencers" which annoys the heck out of me so they're in a distant third place.

Before I bought the M6060 I took a good look at the Kioti NX7320 which is comparable to the M7060/M6060. I would very likely have bought a 7320 if there was a decent dealer in the area with good facilitiies, but a hut and small shed near the airport didn't fill me with confidence for long-term ownership. Dealer support is a big deal and there's an excellent Kubota dealer 3 miles from my house so it's orange all the way for me.

As for John Deere .... hell no!

Last edited:

Aranda0408

Equipment
L4802, Rotary Cutter, Grapple, Box Blade, Pallet Forks
Jan 6, 2024
Houston
Unlike @TheOldHokie I do bleed orange ... kind of. I tend to be very brand loyal when a company demonstrates quality and reliability. I've owned four Kubota tractors and still have two of them. That said, I would never buy anything from Mahindra but would look at Kioti and TYM.

Have you considered other brands such as Kioti? They make a good tractor and typically the equivalent models are less than Kubota, or if a similar price have additional features. A friend has a TYM and really likes it. It has been reliable for him with no issues. TYM pushes their stuff through YouTube "influencers" which annoys the heck out of me so they're in a distant third place.

Before I bought the M6060 I took a good look at the Kioti NX7320 which is comparable to the M7060/M6060. I would very likely have bought a 7320 if there was a decent dealer in the area with good facilitiies, but a hut and small shed near the airport didn't fill me with confidence for long-term ownership. Dealer support is a big deal and there's an excellent Kubota dealer 3 miles from my house so it's orange all the way for me.

My Mahindra dealer also sells Kioti and he didn’t mention the Kioti when I described my property and what I was wanting to do with it. I’m not at all familiar with them so between my lack of knowledge and the dealer not mentioning Kioti I didn’t look into them any further.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My Mahindra dealer also sells Kioti and he didn’t mention the Kioti when I described my property and what I was wanting to do with it. I’m not at all familiar with them so between my lack of knowledge and the dealer not mentioning Kioti I didn’t look into them any further.
I would strongly suggest that you look at the NX series and get a price comparison for a similar model to the L4802.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
I work on all makes and models of tractors. I do a lot of service and repair on Mahindra, LS , Kioti ,TYM, Branson and many others. Parts are generally much harder to get and more expensive than kubota's. Seeing the type of issues these machines have Mahindra would be on the bottom of my list. I see major issues all the time on machines that have extremely low hours. Things you would not see on a Japanese tractor.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

If I went shopping tomorrow first stop would be the local Case dealer followed by MF. Last stop would be JD.

Dan

I was bleeding orange when I preemptively bought my L3901 three years ago. After having time to evaluate that mindset today I would by looking hard at Case and MF.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If I went shopping tomorrow first stop would be the local Case dealer followed by MF. Last stop would be JD.

Dan

I was bleeding orange when I preemptively bought my L3901 three years ago. After having time to evaluate that mindset today I would by looking hard at Case and MF.

Dan
Which models would you be looking at? I don't know much about either brand in terms of their new products.

This seems relevant to this thread. :LOL:

colors.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If you would consider a "repair budget " for anything, why even consider the brand? This doesn't only apply to tractors. You might have the budget to repair it, but it that doesn't change the fact it broke when you need to use it.
2 cents doesn't buy anything these days, but that's mine!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you would consider a "repair budget " for anything, why even consider the brand? This doesn't only apply to tractors. You might have the budget to repair it, but it that doesn't change the fact it broke when you need to use it.
2 cents doesn't buy anything these days, but that's mine!
Back in the day...."2 cents",...at least bought 2 pieces of bubble gum!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Personally I think it more important to shop for the brand that a reliable dealer services near you if will be having your machine serviced. Doesn’t mean you have to buy from them, but I’d think about where to have service or repair done should you need it. But I also think go with a reliable brand / reputation / after sales parts and service availability.

If planning ‘repair’ budget when buying new, why not shop used?

There are lots of low hour units out there if patient.

Also if planning for repairs, I’d think about average amount of time for parts order to receipt to completed service…ask the dealer about what to expect…how long do you want to be out of a machine before it’s not a great price anymore?

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Dan

Dan
Isn’t Case a rebadged LS?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Isn’t Case a rebadged LS?
You are joking right?

"Case" is Case International Harvester. They have been in the agricultural and industrial equipment business a very long time. Everything from 25 to 800 HP agricultursl tractors. They currently own the Steiger and New Holland brands as well.

1704571052314.png

Truckloads of these "small" machines pass through here weekly.

1704569716315.png
p

Their itty bitty under 140 HP machines carry their venerable Farmall badge which has been in use for better part of a century.

1704570138296.png

Kubota does not play in the same league.

Dan

Last edited: