Plastic fell into transmission case

8813paul

Equipment
L2250
Jul 26, 2019
Seneca Missouri
Hello,
I have an l2250 2wd. I cleaned the sight glass on the transmission case and when I put it back in, the white plastic part fell into the transmission case. Would anyone have any ideas on what I could do? I tried draining the fluid and the plastic piece I could feel at the drain hole, but is too big to pass through.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Can you grab it with a long needle nose pliers and pull hard, it should deform and come out?

Reactions: 1 user

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
If it won't deform easily and pull through the drain hole, you can use a piece of stiff tubing with a shop vac and pull it out via the hole it fell through. Flex plastic electrical conduit makes a good vacuum hose for these sorts of adventures.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it won't deform easily and pull through the drain hole, you can use a piece of stiff tubing with a shop vac and pull it out via the hole it fell through. Flex plastic electrical conduit makes a good vacuum hose for these sorts of adventures.

Rodger
Yea, great thought, but it won't work as there are too many parts in the way.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I would follow the suggestions to try to get it out through the drain hole by grasping on it somehow and even breaking it into pieces maybe?

But I’m wondering, what’s the risk of just leaving alone to reside in there?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would follow the suggestions to try to get it out through the drain hole by grasping on it somehow and even breaking it into pieces maybe?

But I’m wondering, what’s the risk of just leaving alone to reside in there?
"what's the risk of just leaving alone"
EXACTLY!

As I recall, plastic is actually made from oil.
It is soft, and if caught in gears it will be easily ground up.
If not, it will remain there until your transmission might fail for some other reason.
No worries.

Shift your concerns to really important stuff: Like not walking too slowly across the street in front of a fast moving garbage truck.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I had a 2 inch long piece of plastic hose fall into the gearbox oil hole on my rotary cutter maybe 2 years ago. When I was younger I would have commenced disassembly immediately. I left it in there and so far there have been no problems.

Reactions: 1 users

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
Grasp the piece of plastic at the drain hole with needle nose pliers or a set of hemostats. Then use a heat gun to soften the plastic & deform. Let cool, then yank through hole?

Andreas

Reactions: 2 users

8813paul

Equipment
L2250
Jul 26, 2019
Seneca Missouri
I have an update for my dilemma. I tried to grab it with pliers and a wire button just pushed it beyond reach. I had to put a couple gallons of fluid back in the case and drain it back so the piece would move back over the drain hole. Had to do that several times because I kept pushing the plastic back. But finally, I was able to push it with wire and grab it with needle nose pliers.
I wasn't to sincerely thank everyone for you replies and advice.
I appreciate you all very much.
Paul

Reactions: 4 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have an update for my dilemma. I tried to grab it with pliers and a wire button just pushed it beyond reach. I had to put a couple gallons of fluid back in the case and drain it back so the piece would move back over the drain hole. Had to do that several times because I kept pushing the plastic back. But finally, I was able to push it with wire and grab it with needle nose pliers.
I wasn't to sincerely thank everyone for you replies and advice.
I appreciate you all very much.
Paul
Now you'll sleep better tonight!