Piling Pelion on Ossa

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
It was time to take the snowblower off Bessy II and reattach the LA435 “Quick Tach” FEL. Everything was in readiness, I felt confident it was going to be as easy for me as it was for Neil from Messicks:
“I won’t even have to get off the tractor seat!” :D

The thing about leaving a heavy implement on gravel, tottering on two tiny support legs, is that those legs quietly and steadily sink into said gravel over the course of a wet winter. :eek:

I got Bessy lined up for rendezvous and docking and found the loader’s arms about 4 inches too low to slip over the tractor’s support pivots. So low that I couldn’t get close enough for the quick and easy 4-in-1 hydraulic coupler to connect to the hydraulic feeds. :(

I tried lifting it by the arms to wedge something under the bucket (my chiropractor says with therapy and time the pain will eventually end). :eek:

I disconnected the bucket thinking to remove some weight and change the balance point. That did no good and now the designed way to raise the tractor up under the support pivots is gone.

I pulled out the trusty farm jacks to slowly lift the arms high enough to slip the front wheels under the arms, remembering to put a 2x8 under the jack so it would not join the loader sunk 4 inches into the gravel. No good. The loader has exactly one place to put a jack that won’t damage connectors, articulating pins or the hydraulic pistons, and when the arms are raised a bit, the whole jack-supported machine falls to the side. :mad:

Short of using a crane to raise everything, which won’t work anyway because this is all under a shed roof, does anyone have any suggestions? I’m paralyzed without the FEL and loader forks.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You need to get a 4 x 4 or similar between the two lift arms or frame so you are lifting one end of the complete loader at one time. With a couple of tries you will find exactly where to jack so that the loader is balanced side to side.

Goal is to get the FEL supports out of the gravel and unto a plank.

Then reattach the bucket.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I regularly set off my loaders, both of them in the side yard, on the grass. same with my batwing, my rake, balers and disc machine. Snowblower as well.

Learned a long time ago that a length of pressure treated 5/4 deck board cut about 12" long, makes a dandy foot for just about any implement and they don't ever sink.....:eek:

Enjoy your predicament. Bet you do it differently next go around.:D

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Its just an idea. If you anchor the front of the loader (by driving some pins into the gravel) would you be able to pull the back of the loader from the front with your tractor. this should lift the back of the loader and allow you to put something under the legs to keep them up. then reverse the tractor until the loader is resting on its own. Unhook the rope and drive around to the back and attach the loader.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
On your equipment list you are showing a rear blade. Could you attach that to the 3 point and use the top of the blade to lift the arms until you could prop it up and turn the tractor around?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Come along, on a board in the rafters will get it done. :D

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Is there a way to connect a temporary hose extension, so the tractor hydraulics can be used to manipulate the loader arms? After raising, remove the extensions and connect as usual.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Come along, on a board in the rafters will get it done. :D
If you don't have a come along heavy ratchet strap will also work.

Different approach, can you lower the front tires air pressure enough to get them to line up with out having flat tires? You could also inflate the rears more than normal to help tilt the tractor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
connect the hydraulic lines and curl the bucket. That should lift the back ends of the loader arms. Sometimes you have to also "lift" the bucket using the loader control which will push the back end of the loader arms rearward toward their mounting position on the tractor.

Trust me, use the loader control to reposition the loader arms into their mounts.

Last edited: